“Still great!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Village Coffee House
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Gullane
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh
“Still great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

It's a few years since we've had lunch here and we were pleased to say it was just as good. Nice little local cafe. Great soups and sandwiches. Friendly and efficient service. Maybe not quite as much choice on the soup & cake front as there used to be. But everything we ordered was great.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“quaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Enjoyed coffees and lovely hot scones my husband enjoyed their gluten free bread with bacon reasonable prices and friendly staff

• Visited December 2013
Edinburgh
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Went with my elderly father in law and were directed to a table. 5 minutes later we were asked to move as it was reserved for an elderly lady who might come in. There was nobody else in the place so I said we weren't going to move as my father in law was disabled and it was difficult for him. The waitress said "fine" in a raised voice, put her hands in the air, turned on her heel and flounced into the kitchen. We were so mortified we left. The place has gone downhill since being taken over and is very unfriendly. It used to be a lovely place to go. I emailed the owner on the website to tell him but he never did get back to me.

Visited June 2013
Germany
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

This is a small coffee house, with a good food selection. Their coffee is excellent, and we love eating there. We've been maybe 6 or more times in the last year and its always been great. The cakes and bakes are very clearly handmade, which is terrific. The food is great and consistent. The decor is "unique" and adds to the charm of a family run business.

Don't forget to try the coffee - it is, after all, a coffee house!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Avoid. Amateur run cafe with rude staff, lacking basic communication skills”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I fail to recall eating anywhere with such rude staff and left extremely annoyed.

We decided on a day trip to Gullane and thought we'd have lunch at this cafe after discovering most other places were full. In hindsight we would have been better off waiting for a table elsewhere.

Half way through my soup of the day, I discovered 2 small hairs, I discreetly brought this to the attention of the waitress. She looked at it and said 'oh ok' and took it away back to the kitchen, no apology! She then came back out, continued to serve other customers and avoided all eye contact. The same waitress then left the cafe on what appeared to be an errand. I waited approx 10 mins with no acknowledgement of my complaint or what they were actually doing about it. Not wanting to waste anymore of my day I went up to the till/serving area. The second waitress walked past me several times and also avoided all eye contact, as if I wasn't even there and even had to turn sideways to get past. This, as you can imagine infuriated me even more at how rude the staff really were.

The 'chef' and I presume manager of the cafe came out and also chose to ignore me, while serving someone else who was there for a takeout. He eventually acknowledged I was stood there and asked if he could help. I highlighted the fact that I'd waited over 10 mins and nobody has even come back to me about my complaint. He said that they use fresh ingredients and that it was in fact coriander and not hair?! I'm no master chef but I think I can tell the difference between human hair and coriander. How patronising. It definitely was not coriander. Whether it is hair or coriander, someone should have come back out to speak to the customer, apologise and offer some sort of resolution is this not basic customer service?

In the end, he 'kindly' offered not to charge me for the soup (wow thanks a whole £3.50) and I just wanted to get out of the inept cafe so paid for my wife's jacket potato and drinks and left.

I'd like to highlight that I have worked in the food/service industry before and accidents do happen but atrocious, rude and incompetent service is completely unacceptable.

My tip would be go to Falko's cafe nearby, if they are busy, wait!

• Visited August 2013