“Lovely country house hotel”

Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was formerly a family home and it has that wonderful cosy atmosphere which gives you the feeling that you are at home and welcoming your guests to your own drawing room. Lovely cosy atmosphere with real fires and sumptuous sofas. Views are out to sea and over the famous Muirfield Golf Course. The dining room is cosy and homely with really delicious food. A memorable stay in beautiful surroundings. Will definitely return

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maggy S
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Dear Guest

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Greywalls. I agree that house has a lovely feel to it in the winter with the roaring fires. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

Back again with friends for the New Year meal . Another lovely dinner and this time the party atmosphere was better, and the fireworks display awesome. Pianist, piper, disco and of course the lovely surroundings made for a great evening.
Well looked after by the staff, albeit some were obviously stand-ins and lacked the attention to detail one might expect.
Did not stay over, so no comments on accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ImacGlasgow

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and I would agree that the fireworks were wonderful, they lasted longer than Edinburgh's! Look forward to welcoming you back next year perhaps.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We have eaten at Greywalls three times now and each time have come away filled with the wow factor. The ambience, the attention to detail, the sublime food all make for a superb evening out. The location is amazing with the gravel walkway up to the main house and then the delightful rooms and bar areas within. We usually take drinks in the library before going to the dining room. The food and service are always first class and we love the fact that the small copper saucepans are brought to the tables with the respective sauces. It is a perfect place for that special occasion though the price of the wine list will make your eyes water ...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patti74
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to Greywalls and thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your kind words will be passed on and we look forward to welcoming back to Greywalls again.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

A great hotel, with lots of atmosphere, which benefits from being "Lutyens" designed, Lovely public rooms, including The Library and "cosy" Bar, both of which had warm and welcoming open fires. Magnificent walled gardens..... even in December. The staff were efficient and professional. Our room was large, with a bathroom of similar size. Amenities could not be faulted. Lots of local golfing memorabilia, including many relating to "Open Championships" held at nearby Muirfield. Chez Rous restaurant, was interesting. The starters showed ingenuity and skill, with complex cooking, involved. Our Main, was a very good Sirloin Steak with chips, but where was the influence of Albert Roux when they constructed the Menu ? Having said that the meal was excellent, with canapes etc.. The wine list was extensive, but some of the prices, were simply ridiculous... Overall a very pleasurable stay and one we would want to repeat.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gastronaut_11

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The house has a rich history and I am happy that you found it interesting and enjoyed the atmosphere and your stay. All of the menus in Chez Roux are personally approved by Mr Roux himself. The cuisine is intended to offer good and honest country cooking at good value, which I believe the menu offers. I note your comments regards the wine and we do have wine starting at £20 per bottle, we do of course offer some finer old vintages priced accordingly.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Greywalls.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Stayed here for one night at the beginning of December for my wifes birthday and loved it.

First impression on arrival wasn't great as there was no member of staff around and we didn't really know where to go. Eventually found a waiter in the dining room who got someone to check us in but I didn't really feel very comfortable poking my head in to different rooms where people were eating. I noticed that someone else mentioned this in their review so it is maybe something the management should look to address. This, however, is a very minor point and didn't really detract from our stay.

We had a very spacious room overlooking the golf course so the views were outstanding. Bathroom was a good size and the whole room was spotless so no complaints there.

We had arrived quite early so decided to go down to the bar for a drink where we were met by a roaring fireplace and comfy seats to just sit and relax. The staff were all very attentive and kept checking back every now and again to make sure we didn't need anything.

We had dinner later on and the whole experience was spectacular. From having our order taken in library, the wine ready and decanted for us when we got to our table, the service and back to the library for coffee. I also liked the way that everything was charged to our room without even asking for our room number or name as it gave the impression that the staff knew who you were and you weren't just another face in the crowd. Very, very professional and absolutely no complaints.

Breakfast was just as good as dinner with everything you could want (cereals, pastries, fruit juice, etc) and this really closed off our stay on a positive note.

The only thing I think could improve the hotel would be to add some background music to the dining and sitting areas as I feel it would add to the ambience. There were points, during dinner especially, when it was so quiet you felt like you were in a library. I must stress, this is not a complaint but just something I would've liked, I guess there's probably people out there who would think the complete opposite!!

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, would highly recommend it, and would probably return if we were in the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allan1978

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing your review and for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I have noted your comment regards arrival. This is something that I will deal with. I will pass on your thanks to the rest of the team and thank you for your kind words. Please note that we do have an in house pianist who plays every Friday and Saturday. I look forward to welcoming you back to Greywalls in the future.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night we found one female member of staff [suited front of house] rather aloof however all the other staff were warm friendly and attentive. The room was chilly and we did have to use the little electric heater supplied, the bathroom was dated and bath very small.The small bar at the main entrance is less charming than the rest of the hotel and although has a large gas/open fire it was not on for guests, all the other sitting areas are delightful cosy and full of charm. The food was superb we decided to eat in one of the large sitting rooms but found we had to look for staff to order coffee and liqueur as their attentions were focused on the guests in the main dining room.
My husband left a shirt when we emailed to find out whether they had it we were asked if we wanted to collect it!! They should really have forwarded it on to us without question.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your honest feedback. I apologise for the manner of the member of staff and it was certainly not her intention to come across in this way. As a standard we light the fires before lunch time and this was obviously not done this day and I apologise that this took away from the charm of the bar. I am glad you enjoyed the cuisine and I have passed on your comments to the kitchen, you should not have had to look for staff to order drinks.
Your husbands shirt has been posted to you and this should have been offered in the first instance. Rest assured your comments have been taken on board and will serve to prevent these short failings in the future.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Called in with a party of 8 for afternoon tea. By booking ahead a lovely corner of one of the lounges in this small old world charm hotel was ready and waiting for us. It is a hotel full of interesting nooks and crannies, lots of famous golfing memorabilia from adjacent Muirfield and with walled gardens a pleasure to explore even on a bracing Dec afternoon.
The staff were attentive and very helpful, the tea with its dainty cucumber, smoked salmon etc sandwiches, warmed scones to die for, and a selection of cakes to tempt the most resolute abstainer!!! was excellent.
Full marks for ambience and service, top tip is a visit to the gents!!!!! where the window overlooking the golf course at Muirfields must be the best loo with a view in the golfing world!
Would thoroughly recommend a visit, next time we will try Chez Roux, an integral part of this quirky hotel but apparently owned by Michel Roux not the family who own the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cookstours69

Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent visit to Greywalls and indulged in the afternoon tea. I would agree that for golf fans there is no better place to be. We look forward to welcoming you back for a meal in Chez Roux in the future, which is overseen by Albert Roux.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gullane
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Ducks Inn
Ducks Inn
#1 of 1 in Aberlady

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!