“Love it !!”

Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times, the pre dinner drinks can be taken in the wonderful library, full of atmosphere or as we have done many times, champagne on the tenth tee at a golfers delight. The food and the staff are brilliant and we just love going to this restaurant, and the chocolate dessert is to die for!

1  Thank w33pea
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words and continued custom and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We had a most excellent lunch here. Delicious fish bisque, tender pork & a tasty pud. Good service made for a good day out

1  Thank teacherEdinburgh

Dear Guest

So glad that you were able to join us for lunch recently and that you enjoyed your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay on a golf trip. Have stayed here several times in the past & assumed since we booked in Sept. '11 we would have gotten a better room. Since the last time we were there they changed their layout & the old reception area is now a private dining room. Unfortunately our room (#6) was directly above & quite loud until at least 12pm. Our travelling companions had a lovely room on the other side of the hotel overlooking the gardens.
Otherwise, the hotel, it's amenities, restaurant & location are excellent. Convenient to Muirfield as well as many other nearby courses.

Room Tip: Request rooms overlooking gardens away from dining areas
1  Thank rbesho

Dear Guest

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am sorry if you felt the room was not of the same standard as your friends. All the rooms at Greywalls are individual and you and your friends were in the same category of room but with different views. Should you book again in the future please feel free to request a specific room overlooking the gardens or golf course as we would be happy to accommodate your request.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Three friends, their spouses (mine passed), one adult daughter, and I stayed at Greywalls for two nights, on the separate and independent recommendations of two golfing friends. Perfect place for the start of a great week of golf in the kingdom. Greywalls is small, quiet, and the epitomy of "quaint," and I mean that as an admiring compliment. Each room was different but all were well done. Service was quietly excellent. We ate dinner at Chez Roux both nights and recommend it without equivocation. I recommend the cheese souffle appetizer.
We stayed at Greywalls in order to get a tee time at next-door Muirfield. That worked perfectly, but I would stay at Greywalls again, even if I did not bring my clubs.
One caution: My lovely room did not have a shower (like I said, every room is different). The other rooms occupied by our group had showers. If you go, and if this matters to you, be sure to ask in advance for one.
Another observation: None of us had a room in the main building. Most of us were in two separate buildings at what might be termed the main gate. Not a drawback, unless the weather were inclement. In fact, my guess is that the rooms where we were are larger than those in the main building.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SSCCardinal

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Greywalls is certainly a golfers paradise and I am glad you were able to take benefit of our tee times at Muirfield. The rooms are all individual which does add to there charm and should you visit again please feel free to request a room with a shower as we are always happy to accommodate guest requests. I will ensure your kind words regards service are passed on to the rest of the team.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

This place is a must for any golf enthusiasts as the location and history is written and shown throughout the rooms (even the toilets). Its location gives a fantastic view of Muirfield Links which you will not get from anywhere else.
Friends took us to Chez Roux as a treat and it certainly was. Our friends are regulars and we were welcomed warmly and the service from thereon was first class.
Wine selection was quality if a bit pricey for me.
The food was excellent and surprisingly, reasonably priced with an option of a 3 course menu for £29 or A La Carte (my 3 courses about £45).
My only critisism was our fellow diners, who looked fairly disapprovingly at any bursts of laughter or a slightly raised voice. No complaints made but the looks were enough to show they were not amused.
This will not stop me from visiting again and hope to do so in the near future.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank burnieScotland

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your recent review of Greywalls and happy to read that you enjoyed your meal. I would agree that the daily menu does represent good value and this is very much Mr Roux's intention. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

This is the first time I have stayed at Greywalls after an absence of 8 years and my wife and I had a wonderful stay. The hotel has huge charm enhanced by the great views over Muirfield and the lovely gardens. What has really improved over the last eight years is the very quality of the cuisine and the very high level of service. To achieve such a high level of personal service when ithe hotel is busy is a testimonial to its quality. I look forward to returning

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Muirfield are spectacular
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan B
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at Greywalls and for taking the time to post your review. Delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your kind words to all the staff. Hopefully it is not another 8 years until we see you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is the 4th time we have eaten here, the meal last night was superb and the service second to none.

There were 6 in our party and we were greated as usual at the the door and had drinks before our lovely meal.This was a special birthday meal for my wife and when we had coffee they had a birthday message on the plate in chocolate. A nice touch.

Keep up the good work, great to have somewhere like this in East Lothian.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PhilliprWhite

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and delighted to read that your wife enjoyed her birthday treat. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gullane
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
#5 of 17 in St Andrews
The Folly
The Folly
#5 of 5 in North Berwick

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!