Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
US$84
PremierInn.com
US$201
US$135
Travelodge Edinburgh Musselburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$72
Travelodge
Best Western Kings Manor Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$75
Agoda.com
US$167
US$84
PremierInn.com
All reviewsmuirfield golf courseafternoon teapetit fourscountry houseroaring firegardens are beautifullemon tartpre dinner drinksbirthday lunchthe main hotelspecial treatset menudrawing roomfirst classscallopssconescottage room
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed two nights in one of the cottages attached to the main house. Apparently our garden cottage was, at one time, the private 'loo' for King Edward VII. Completely refurbished since those days of course! The bedroom was simply furnished in calm relaxing style, and the bathroom was huge with bath and walk in shower. Our outlook was of course the garden, which is absolutely beautiful. The dining room, where breakfast and dinner was served, overlooks Muirfield golf course, and we noted that many golfers had chosen to stay at Greywalls. It was also apparent that the other guests included several different nationalities.
The food, as expected, was to a high standard and the service was attentive and unobtrusive. As we were staying in one of the cottages, we were able to have our two little dogs with us. This was a delightful place to stay and only about 5 miles from North Berwick.

Room Tip: Dog lovers can bring their dogs with them to the cottages. Dogs not allowed in main hotel. Our cottage was on the ground floor and all on one level, the roomy bathroom and walk in shower ideal for the physically challenged.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret B
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest

Delighted to see your enjoyed your stay in the Kings Loo. One of our most popular rooms with great views of the garden. Should you like golf, Ernie Els stayed in here when he won the Open in 2002 and Padraig Harrington stayed last year during the Open.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed two nights at Greywall in June, 2014. Rooms ok, breakfast excellent, service good,
Wi-fi very poor, like a third world country in that respect. We played Muirfield and this hotel is situated right next to Muirfield.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RCrisci264

Dear Guest

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Wi-Fi signal is something we have upgraded in last two weeks. We have put in additional cabling and two new routers, hopefully you will notice the difference on your next visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

As it is under the same management as Inverlochy Castle, we were expecting more.
On booking, we were given inaccurate information re disabled parking, apparently it's central booking - well, they should be better informed.
On arrival, Callum was great and looked after us very well whenever he was around. Also on the plus side, food was good, room fine with much appreciated view of the golf course and we enjoyed walking in the garden.
On the down side, we were not impressed with marquee in the walled garden which dominated the view from the corridor to our room. Presumably, there had been a wedding on the Saturday and it could not be dismantled until Monday morning. Understandable, but why leave it looking such a mess, debris in clear view, and I feel the room rate should have been adjusted to take account of the monstrosity.
Sunday evening we sat in a lounge area for 15 minutes without anyone coming anywhere near us. When my husband went to ask if we could order some food from the bar menu, he was snapped at and told they were very busy and we would have to wait. 5 minutes later, still nothing, so we just retreated to our room and had room service - not what we wanted really.
Another quibble: the hairdrier is attached to the wall in such a way that you have to stand over the toilet to use it - ugh!
All in all, a huge disappointment and we will stick to Inverlochy where we are always treated brilliantly well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank halcyon_times

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review and I apologise that your experience fell short on this occasion. As you say we did have a wedding the day prior to your visit but the marquee should have been in a clean a tidy state. While the Marquee is in secluded walled garden and does not obstruct views from your room I can appreciate this did not set a good impression. Your wait in the evening was unacceptable and I am sorry that this happened. We have a small dedicated team at Greywalls and I am sorry that the person came across in a discourteous manner, this was not his intention. I will look at the positioning of the hair dryers and thank you for this feedback. Your custom and comments are appreciated and should you wish to book again please contact me direct at gm@greywalls.co.uk.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

It's like going to a rather posh friend's house - for lunch in our case on Saturday. Warm, comfortable, friendly, outstanding food served in beautiful surroundings - and the rain cleared afterwards to allow a walk through the stunning gardens.
They even deduced we were celebrating my daughter's birthday and an appropriately decorated plate of petit fours appeared at the end of lunch with the coffees.
A minor slip up in the kitchen led to one of the party asking, not complaining in the slightest, about an item on his plate. The chef came out in person to explain and apologise. Afterwards we discovered a charge had been taken off the bill.....such was our enjoyment we insisted it went back on - that is the measure of a satisfied customer.
This was our third or fourth visit in recent months - each time the same high standards were on display. A great place showing off the best of this lovely part of Scotland.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Boatman100754
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Guest

I am so glad that you enjoy Greywalls on such a regular basis. Your custom is appreciated and thank you for supporting us. No doubt we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Friends told me that I must eat at Greywalls so I eventually booked for lunch last month.
Their aim of a country house ambiance is achieved with ease and the staff are very attentive. We had an acceptable house champagne whilst we perused the menu.
I had chicken liver parfait followed by lamb I think, that is the key of my view the food is not memorable at all. That is not to say it's poor it's not. It tastes like cooking on auto pilot albeit at a reasonable level. The wine by the glass is of good quality if a little pricey.
Coffee in the sitting room afterwards was very pleasant.
I went with high expectations to Greywalls but for me there was little if anything to distinguish it for many others of its type.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank united33

Dear Guest

I am sorry that you experience of Greywalls fell short of your expectations. We are all conscious of the standards we need to achieve on a daily basis and do work hard to achieve this. I believe you ate off the daily menu which is good honest French country cooking, nothing too flashy but well priced and we hope delicious. The a la carte perhaps showcases the Chefs talents more and offers more luxurious and unusual ingredients. I do hope you return to Greywalls, perhaps in the summer months for al fresco dining and enjoy the gardens.