“delightful country house hotel and restaurant”

Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gullane
Reviewed 5 August 2014

our room in the "new" part of the hotel overlooked muirfield golf course with a terrace from which to spectate and drink champagne (a tip,we brought our own bottle in a cooler- the house champagne is horrifically expensive)
comfortable bed with a somewhat old fashioned bathroom and on a hot summers day air-conditioning would have been desirable - but it is a listed building
several lounges with soft sofas and squishy cushions magazines and newspapers and a true country house feel
we had afternoon tea and dinner in the hotel which were superb
An extensive but expensive wine list (see supra) We had the sauvignon blanc which was outstanding
breakfast proffered the usual choices and was excellent except that my plate was so hot the scrambled eggs stuck to it
An stroll in the garden is a must
couldn't be beaten for a special occasion and all within striking distance of edinburgh

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and glad to see you enjoyed the experience. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Having enjoyed a Sunday Lunch last year, our return visit was extremely disappointing as far as the quality of the food was concerned. Starter of mackerel was minute and main course of Beef Flank was small, beef was tough and fatty. All in all, not a pleasant dining experience. Won't be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank moira g

Dear Guest

So sorry to read that your experience fell short on this occasion. The Mackerel dish was added to our menu quite recently and has been received very well, Mr Roux himself choose it during his recent stay and was very complimentary about it. The beef flank is a fatty cut of meat but has good flavour, we have had feedback similar to yourself regards this dish though. We always try to get things right and we do listen to feedback, good and bad, and this dish was not received well so we have removed it. I am sorry to read that you do not intend to return I would dearly love to think that you will, please contact me direct should you wish to return and I would be happy to discuss this further with you, 01620 842144.

Duncan Fraser

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We arrived last Sunday to have lunch not for the first time at Greywalls. Had aperitifs out in their sunny courtyard which was lovely.!
The menu we found very poor and limited in choice a selection of three in each course. We found the food very disappointing both in its execution and quality. The starters were fine but very small in quantity. We had both the lamb and the beef which we found very tough and certainly not the excellent quality which we have experienced here in the past. The choice of desserts for a beautiful warm sunny summer lunch was terribly disappointing rhubarb and apple crumble and french style bread and butter pudding more winter dessert than summer ones and again the quality was not what we are accustomed to. Yes there were a couple of ice creams or sorbets you could choose but on the whole the meal was totally lacking of inspiration. This certainly was not a meal you expect from a Roux establishment all four of us were bitterly disappointed and found the food very poor indeed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Linda S

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review and I am sorry that your recent experience fell short of your expectations. The fixed price daily menu for £26.50 is limited to 3 options for starter main and dessert. We always offer a soup, fish and meat starter and the mains generally feature a roast option on a Sunday, another meat option and a fish course. I am sorry if your found this limited. We always run the a la carte menu along side this which offers a further 5 options for each course and is charged individually. People are welcome to mix between the two menu should they wish. Rhubarb was in season when you dined with us but I take your point about using in a more summery fashion and I have passed this on to Chef. Your custom and comments are appreciated and please do contact me direct when you wish to rebook and I will ensure your experience is one to enjoy.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was playing golf nearby, unfortunately not Muirfield, with my son. Booked two single rooms which were very comfortable. Unfortunately did not have dinner but the breakfast was as good as I have experienced anywhere. The staff could not have been more helpful. A beautiful location and its history surrounding golf is well documented and interesting.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jon D
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest

Next time you come you will have to play Muirfield. We get a small amount of tee times during the summer on Monday or Fridays. We are not advised of these until the November prior but always worth while asking when booking if there are any. Otherwise Muirfield have the Tuesday and Thursday public days, just book well in advance.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We visited this hotel fro dinner in April, it was smart but in a very friendly way the meal was really good value. If I was to complain about anything the person who brought us the menus forgot to come back and take our order. However a discrete word solved the issue.
After that the service and the food was faultless
the wine list was extensive with many bottles at reasonable prices
we will definitely go again
I should point out my ratings are based on my eating experience and the public rooms I did not stay

Room Tip: some great sea views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric_of_Ayr

Dear Guest

Glad you enjoyed your Chez Roux experience. Sorry the menus were not brought out more promptly, but that this did not detract from your evening.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visit this restaurant at least twice a year, our last visit was last week, we had champagne and canapés outside on the tenth tee at Muirfield, it was a beautiful evening and a perfect setting for any golfer, but we were disappointed, we were a party of eight and seven of us ordered steaks, the waiting staff must have got the orders mixed and most of us had the wrong steak, my partners steak was returned to the kitchen twice, once because it was under cooked and secondly because it then arrived with sauce which was not ordered originally, which meant we had almost finished before he had started, and we all agreed that the quality of the steaks were not great, we finished the night in the library with our coffee, but had to wait for a seat, even though we were asked at the table by the waiter if we wished to sit in the library for our coffee, we foolishly assumed that a seat was available for us, all in all a disappointing, expensive night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank w33pea

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry that your experience fell short on this occasion. I know the Restaurant Manager spoke to you on the evening and again our apologies that the Rib Eye was not prepared correctly. Your custom and comments are appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights in June 2014 on a golf trip. Since I gave Greywalls a so-so review after my last stay in 2012 I feel compelled to comment on my favorable recent stay. Our group of 4 stayed in The Colonel's House, a 4-5 bedroom house on the property, a pitching wedge away from the main hotel. Each of us had a bedroom with ensuite bath. All the hotel amenities with much more privacy.
Greywalls is an incredibly beautiful hotel / estate with wonderful gardens & grounds. Of course the draw here is Muirfield, but I could easily stay here with my wife & forego golf. Breakfast & dinner were excellent, staff uniformly pleasant & helpful. Being used to hotel prices in NYC, everywhere else seems like a bargain, Greywalls especially. In my opinion Greywalls is the only place to stay when playing Muirfield.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the golf course or gardens. If with a group, The Colonel's House i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank rbesho
gmGreywalls, General Manager at Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest

Very kind of you to post a second review following your most recent stay at Greywalls. Glad you enjoyed the hospitality of the Colonel's House which, as you say, is ideal for small groups. I believe we do offer value for money, particularly with regard to our food offering and glad you feel the same. Till next time

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gullane
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
West End
Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
#19 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!