“overnight stay”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ullapool
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

My hubby and I had a lovely stay in the hotel 2 weeks ago. Room very clean and comfortable. Evening meal in the bar great and breakfast so freshly cooked and the little touch of a dram of malt whisky with the porridge is a wonderful idea ,especially from visitors from abroad.
Well done friendly staff and management at the Royal Hotel Ullapool.Scotland

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
2 Thank anne M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Safety Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were very impressed by this hotel. Lovely views from our room and balcony, couldnt have asked for a better view. Room was large and beautifully furnished. Staff were friendly. Food was great, we had breakfast and dinner there. Only one thing disappointing was that the dining room staff kept on talking in another language amongst each other, sounded a bit like they were squabbling or complaining about something, it was a bit distracting. I could be wrong but thats the impression we got. We didnt really want to hear this. Apart from that we would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on balcony looking down the whole view of water
2 Thank Jane T
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Good hotel stayed for 3 nights in a Single room, Room 38 clean and spacious in good state of decoration with on suite bathroom with excellent shower. Breakfast was good served in the main restaurant. Did not eat any evening meals their but chose to go next door to the Waterfront Bar for a couple of meals as I am not keen on Italian food. Great location just a short walk into the main part of the village. Could not find an fault with the hotel, would stay their again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Robert L
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, great location, clean. Comfortable room. Totally spoilt by lackadaisical service and very poor food. Sadly we had booked in for an evening meal and felt committed despite having seen several very good restaurants in town. BIG mistake. A very limited Italian based menu, and when the meal I ordered vittello Milanese (veal) arrived it was so tough I could not cut it, I complained to the manager and it was replaced sadly the moment was gone. The person I was dining with had finished their meal before my replacement had arrived! The situation appeared to have been saved when the manner kindly offered to subtract the cost the meal from our bill. Unfortunately his word was somewhat less than his bond and both he and I will probably be pleased that I will never stay in that hotel again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bill A
Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Booked this hotel after reviewing many on here and so glad I did! Excellent choice.. we had a balcony room overlooking loch broom which was beautiful. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed.
Breakfast was lovely, tasty poached eggs were perfect.
All round recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room lovely view over the loch.
3 Thank dawnpisces
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a room with a superb view of the bay and a terrace to sit outside on. The room was clean large and good. The shower was excellent.

However the first night we had dinner in the restaurant and it was the worst meal we had in Scotland. Thankfully we had decided to skip starters, the mail meal (I had steak and chips) was tough and the dessert was terrible, and left uneaten.

3 Thank Gazbl
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for the weekend back in January for a weekend away that my boyfriend booked as a suprise. The view from room was fantastic as we had a room on the front, slap bang in the middle so we could see everything. The shower was lovely and big and the bed was very comfortable. The first night we stayed, we ate in the 'Italian' restaurant within the hotel as we were tired from traveling and didn't want to venture out. The waitress serving was lovely but the food wasn't good at all. The portion I had was rather big and I couldn't finish it. The waiter (who I later was led to believe was the manager) cleared our plates and whispered to me, "What was wrong with it? Why didn't you finish it?" I was like, what? Okay. The stay was very comfortable and I can't complain about that at all! The rooms were a good size but the food just let it down. My boyfriend had the full breakfast every morning and enjoyed it. I had the full breakfast the first morning we ate but I found it swimming in oil. The next morning, I had scrambled eggs and toast and it had they consistency of rubber. It clearly had been left in a hotplate or something. The third morning, I had poached eggs and, well.. I've never chewed an egg yolk before! They were rock solid!

We would return, but only as a stop-off before traveling home or before a trip. Good hotel just the food let it down.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JustAnotherIslander
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Caledonian Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lochinver
The Aultguish Inn
The Aultguish Inn
#23 of 51 in Ullapool

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!