“Atmospheric friendly hotel”
Review of Argyll Hotel

Argyll Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Ullapool
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We travelled from Worcester up to Dunkeld, and then from Dunkeld to Ullapool to explore the highlands. We were extremely lucky with the weather, with temperatures of 26 degrees giving us the best welcome we could possibly have had. Coming into Ullapool, the scenery is spectacular. Although it's a functioning fishing port, and has a few hotels and B&Bs, you get the overall impression it's not touristy and is very genuine. The hotel is set back one road from the fishing boats, but is literally a minutes walk from the harbour front and the gorgeous views. It has a car park at the back of it, where we parked and were greeted by two collies with a ball who seemed very keen to play for a while. Very friendly! From the car park, there is a back door into the bar area and another door which goes through into the hotel reception. We had an exceptionally friendly greeting from the owner who was training a new member of staff, but was nevertheless efficient and happy to help in any way. Our room was on the top floor, overlooking the harbour with amazing views. To say the hotel is one road back from the harbour, you definitely don't suffer because of it. We must have spent hours just watching the fishing boats and what looked like an otter playing in the water. Truly memorable experience.

The room itself was good. The bed was comfortable and clean, as was the room all over. The bathroom was dated with wallpaper peeling off underneath the sink and in the corners. A little updating is needed, but other than that the room was lovely.

Downstairs in the evening, there was live acoustic music in the bar which was great. We ate in the restaurant and though it looks out onto the car park, which is scruffy, the food was amazing. My partner had cullen skink for starter and Salmon for main which he loved, and I ordered a rib eye steak which was probably the best I've ever had. The meal was GINORMOUS .........we had anticipated having pudding but that simply wasn't an option. I was so fat I could hardly move from the chair ;-)

Staff are friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The place might be a little tired in places, but it's got oodles of atmosphere and has got to be my favourite of all of the hotels we've stayed in so far in Scotland.

We opted for breakfast in the restaurant, and that was brilliant! Fruit juices and coffees and teas were waiting for us when we got downstairs. As was cereals and yoghurts. We were then given a choice of different breads for toast, and some freshly baked pastries were offered to us while we waited for our cooked breakfast! These were as good as any I've had in France! Breakfast can be any number of many things, from your choice of cooked breakfast (minus or plus any bits you fancy) through to kippers, or breakfast rolls with your choice of contents. All were well cooked and presented by a very friendly gentleman who checked everything in detail, down to whether you wanted butter on your roll with your breakfast or not! I simply can't fault it.

The owner came through a few times to say good morning to people and ask how they were and offer advice on their travels for the day. She also advised us to use their private door to get to the car park when we left because there was a large puddle outside of the bar door.

I just loved the atmosphere and friendly reception in this place - I could happily have stayed longer and I don't think I'd ever get bored of the view or the options of places to go around there. Everywhere seems to be beautiful - weather permitting. When the weather changes and the mist rolls in, it can get very rainy and dark very quickly........

Very much recommend this hotel. It's not luxury, and needs updating in places, but the pluses VERY MUCH outweigh that.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view of the harbour - It is worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dotcomfairyuk

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I've just been up to Ullapool for the Feis Rois and my friends and I had dinner in the Argyll on two consecutive nights. The first night, I had braised ox cheeks and the meat was so tender you didn't need a knife. The taste was beautiful, the service friendly and helpful. I had some special requests as I'm low-carbing and there was no problem at all in getting me a salad instead of the potatoes that the meal was supposed to come with. The next night we had the Sunday roast, with a starter of grilled goats cheese on salad. Again, fast and friendly service and tasty, delicious food. This is a place I'd happily recommend to anybody for food.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The first thing to say is that this isn't a luxury hotel, everything is a bit dated and used, but still comfortable.

However, I have to say that the staff were very welcoming. At the bar, reception and the restaurant too. They even went out of their way to serve us away from the restaurant (as my friend had his dog with him). The food was very good, I had haggis bites to start and a rib-eye for my main. Surprised there weren't many fish options on the menu. Breakfast was excellent - as was the service throughout our stay.

The evening that I stayed we had Music in the bar from Martin Stephenson. It was super, thoroughly entertaining, enjoyed along with a selection of beers. I would highly recommend scheduling a visit with one of his gigs - seems to appear on a monthly basis.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2014

On arrival to hotel, bar staff didn't acknowledge us, even though we were standing in the bar with our luggage! Checked and shown to the room, rooms decor was very tired and dated, bathroom had no hot water in sink tap, wallpaper was peeling of the walls! Room was very small & very over priced for what it was. Meal in the hotel restaurant was fine, although the view from restaurant was the car park at the back of the hotel, which resembled a dump. Breakfast was a whole different experience, waitress was uncommunicative, breakfast choice was poor.Had to ask for tea & toast, the tea hasn't arrived yet! Checked out without seeing any staff. Don't think anyone knew what they were supposed to be doing !

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before accepting it!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DenBrora
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Really nice food in the restaurant and the staff were ultra friendly. We didn't stay in the hotel because we thought it was a bit pricy. But dinner was nice and the bar was comfy. But the live music was a bit dodgy...could have been much better

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Had a one night stay and would definitely go back. A lovely clean room, big bed and lovely furnishings. The bathroom was a little tired but spotless and comfortable with loads of hot water. The bar is also dog friendly which is a bonus. We stayed at the hotel for one night and moved on to self catering accommodation but ate in the bar several times in the evening, had teas and so on some afternoons in front of a lovely open fire and we always got a cheery welcome from competent and friendly staff. Well done!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex C
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We visited at a very quiet time, staff were welcoming, the kitchen knocked us up a quality cheese and onion sandwich at supper time which was not on the menu but showed that nothing was too much trouble. Friendly locals in the bar, roaring fire, cold beer and comfy beds, couldn't ask for more at the price. Breakfast was good and hearty. Room could have done with heater on before we arrived at that time of year, but nobody died!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a great view of the Sea- so ask for one!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank D H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ullapool
Caledonian Hotel
The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant
Dundonnell Hotel
Dundonnell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Loch Broom

Been to Argyll Hotel? Share your experiences!