“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Smithy House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pennyghael
Smithy House
Ranked #2 of 3 Pennyghael B&B and Inns
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My fiance and I arrived home feeling relaxed and very happy after spending 3 nights at this fabulous b&b. We did not want to leave!! Carol and Peter are a great couple who are very friendly and welcoming and made us feel like part of their family. The food is amazing, location is stunning with beautiful views all round and we will definitely be visiting again.

Kirsten & Iain from Hamilton

• Stayed August 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ballachulish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stopped at Smithy House en route for Iona and were delighted with home made apple scones straight from the oven. We sat on picnic tables outside and enjoyed watching hens, chicks, ducks and ducklings as well as the beautiful view. The proprietors were so friendly and helpful and made this a delightful stop.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were on Mull last week. We rented 2 bedrooms in this B&B (1 double and 1 twin). Carol is a lovely person, very welcoming and we spent 2 very good nights in her house. The bedrooms are good, with (more than) everything you need (including lots of DVDs if it rains too much!) and comfy beds. Great views on the loch in front of the house from both rooms. The breakfast is great too with very good quality products (including home made marmelade). Carol also has some ducks (4 of them with lovely ducklings), hens and a beautiful cockerel. We did not try her evening meal but we should have because the nearest pub (Bunessan, 10 miles away) was not great (food was very average). Of note: food is also available in an hotel down the road but we did not try this option either.
In short, this was a bit 'home from home', as stated in another review, and we would definitely come back here if / when we are on Mull again. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Both are nice!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Set by the Loch the location of the Smithy House couldn't be better, whatever the room the view is fantastic. Its a small B&B with two rooms one double and one twin both are very comfortable and well furnished. Facilities are notionaly shared but this is no problem as there is a shower room and toilet as well as a bathroom and toilet. Evening meals, which are very good value for money are served in the small tea room and a full breakfast at the kitchen table. This is a friendly no frills establishment that goes the last mile for guests. Well behaved pets are welcome. This is how all B&Bs should be.

N.B. If you are just passing by stop at the Tea room to sit by the Loch and enjoy a pot of tea and home made cake or soup - one of the best on Mull.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

A group of us on a motorcycle tour of Scotland stopped here on the way back from a boat trip to Staffa and were very pleasantly surprised! Not a Scot's accent anywhere but great tea, coffee and cakes in a fantastic setting. Penny the Golden Retriever made me a little homesick and the cats and chickens were happy to eat the cake crumbs. We'll worth a stop on your way past for a very friendly welcome.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Crailsheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a very nice B&B. Clean rooms, good beds and Carol served me a delicious dinner. I enjoyed my stay there. The breakfast was a good start in the morning. And Carol gave me a packup. She and her husband Peter are very friendly. Thanks for all!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed at Smithy House back in 2011, so I apologise if the owners have changed since. This was my first solo holiday away from my parents, and I was tempted by the affordable price for a double room, and the evening meals provided.

Immediately on arrival, the owner seemed miffed that I was by myself occupying a double room, as no doubt she could have made more of a profit with two people occupying the room. However, their website clearly advertised a price for single occupancy of one of their double rooms. I'd also booked because of the free wi-fi, but the walls are so thick that you can't actually pick up a signal from the bedrooms, so I was unable to use those facilities.

My main problem came on the night of payment, though. The female owner charged me well over what I should have paid, and then said it was because I'd inconvenienced her by staying in the double room by myself. She also charged me for a 3 course meal, when I'd only had 2. She effectively made up a price in her head to make extra money off me. She was very unfriendly over the whole situation, and whilst the husband refunded me some of the difference, I was still out of pocket with barely enough money to make it home, as I'd budgeted very carefully for the trip. I feel they took advantage of a young single person away by themselves for the first time. It put a downer on what should have been an amazing stay on a beautiful island.

Effectively I was robbed by this B&B, and after an amazing more recent holiday to Mull, I felt compelled to finally leave this review.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Skye100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pennyghael
Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
#1 of 12 in Iona
Bellachroy Hotel
Bellachroy Hotel
#1 of 11 in Dervaig

Been to Smithy House? Share your experiences!