“beautiful views”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cardigan
wales
“beautiful views”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

the Flat Rock at The Gwbert Hotel is lovely , views across the bay are beautiful, service is quick and then food good. Lots of dishes source local produce too and the seafood is always a treat. We are regulars and love it .

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank tinkswales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

I made the mistake of writing the previous review whilst mildly intoxicated and not able to sleep. A more accurate review would encompass all of the positives and, whilst acknowledging it can be s bit noisy from the bar, point out this is only in a couple of rooms. After all we have stayed here several times and will continue to do so.

• Stayed May 2012
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We made a last minute booking via Late Rooms and were absolutely delighted we did. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and were lucky to be one of the first guests to stay in the new extension to the hotel. The rooms were contemporary and attractively decorated, with fantastic sea views. The location is beautiful and we were fortunate with the weather to be able to enjoy a drink al fresco on the decked terrace. We dined in the hotel on each of our 3 nights and the food was very tasty, with generous portions and reasonable prices. Our two children (5 & 8) were happy with the variety on offer for them and I agree with the other reviews regarding the sweet potato chips - think that they were in a light batter and best I've ever had. Service at all times was friendly & attentive and it's clearly a popular place to dine in the local area. Breakfast had a great choice and was relaxed and an enjoyable way to start the day. We tried out the jacuzzi and gym which is well worth doing during a stay at the Gwbert. There are several sofas and lounge areas to relax in and the pool table and computer provided some evening entertainment. The location is great with many interesting places to visit in the area, including Melin Tregwynt woollen mill, the Cathedral at St Davids, lovely sandy beach Poppet Sands, the nearby town of Cardigan and of course the coastal walks that are just on your doorstep at the Gwbert. Special thanks to Wells, Sam, Jem and the numerous ladies that looked after us during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for the team and we can't wait to return. I would sum up our stay as a perfect home from home, with a warm, welcoming & friendly atmosphere, beautiful views & location, great food & service and would recommend to anyone. The Gwbert Hotel is a hidden gem!

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 21 & 22, both newly refurbished with sea views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We dined here last night, and I must say what a fantastic evening we had. The restaurant looks a little shabby from outside, but is well set out inside. The menu is simple, but is great quality, tasty homemade food at a great price. You must try the sweet potato chips, which are AMAZING!

Service was very attentive and we were given a window table as requested. This place is suitable for all types of groups. Eat here if you are staying at the Cliff?!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ap_0011
Wilmslow
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I normally stay in the samey budget chains when travelling for work but due to location I was 'forced' off the beaten track and booked into the Gwbert hotel. The previous reviews seemed to suggest this was something special and I was looking forward to my stay but I have to say I was a little disappointed. The room itself was reasonably comfortable but the main lights didn't work and the only window looked out over the car park. Not a major issue until I realised that not only could I see out but other people could see in so spent the rest of my stay with the curtains closed.

The service was a little hit and miss. I was left standing at reception for 10 minutes with no way of alerting people that I had arrived. I was then left waiting in the bar to be seated for dinner for over 30 minutes when others were being seated. It was pretty obvious from the conversations of the staff when they did decide to seat me that I'd been forgotten about.

All in all, not bad, but not really worth the hype.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank stevie8abes
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Have spent six months here in aberporth and loving the people and place. I have spent 95% of the time in same hotel and never had a bad meal. The fillet steak is wonderful And staff are friendly and helpful .
Got to try the sweet potato chips .

• Stayed December 2011
Reviewed 1 March 2012

In the last few months I've had the pleasure of staying at the Gwbert.
The flat rock resturant menu is very varied home cooked food with one of the best fillet steaks in the area
The rooms are clean and modern with free wifi
The staff are all friendly and couldn't do more to make you feel welcome
Good views, food and friendly bar what more could you ask for

• Stayed March 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardigan
The Cliff Hotel & Spa
Webley Waterfront Inn and Hotel
Cardigan Castle
Cardigan Castle
#1 of 14 in Cardigan

Been to The Gwbert Hotel? Share your experiences!