“Lovely friendly B&B”

Coed y Bryn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 18 Cardigan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Me and a friend stayed here for a wedding in June. Godfrey was so helpful and friendly - including dropping people to the venue when there were no taxis available. He really went the extra mile for all his guests. Full cooked breakfast was delicious the next morning and the room itself had everything we needed, we didn't have an ensuite room but had the very clean downstairs bathroom all to ourselves. Really lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank vintagelover420

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Good location on our tour of West Wales. Comfy, clean room with everything we needed. Relaxed atmosphere ........... yet totally professional. Friendly and helpful host, Godfrey, cooked a great breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank deannerichards
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at Godfrey's House end August beg. of September 2013. We stayed an extra night because of no buses on Sundays to finish the walk from Cardigan to Aberyswith? Very nice stay and Godfrey was very helpful, and kind. His cooking is excellent. We would recommend this establishment to anyone wishing to stay in Cardigan.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Great place just a short stroll from the town (though the hill to get home after a night out is quite a struggle!) Great value for money (we stayed in a twin room and were given a free upgrade to en-suite), and Godfrey is a real character with some wonderful stories!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 7 September 2013

On arrival the owner was jovial and the room seemed very nice. Was disappointed that there was only an old style tv, first time there's not been a flat screen somewhere we've stayed for quite a while. There was plenty of parking and the B&B is just a few minutes from the centre of Cardigan, which was nice. We upgraded to the cooked breakfast, and frankly I wished we hadn't. It was an extra £7.50 each, so I was expecting a decent breakfast, but what we got was appalling quality sausages (really cheap, fully of cereal and deep fried) and a breakfast that, apart from the eggs was all heated in the microwave. The bacon was nice, but as it was microwaved it was pale and anaemic looking! We had been impressed that the place seemed clean on first arrival, but although the bed was made while we were out, our cups were not cleaned although we'd used them and neither was the bathroom. On our second day we also discovered that the window in our room didn't shut properly or lock, and although we were on the first floor I found that rather disconcerting. It also meant we got noise from the road as it wouldn't quite shut properly. Cardigan is a lovely place, and the location was good, but I probably wouldn't come back to this B&B.

2  Thank Sarah R
Godfrey E, Owner at Coed y Bryn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Hello Sarah R,

Thank you for taking time out to write / post your review.

Firstly let me point out that Coed y Bryn is a 3 star (self accredited) Bed and Breakfast (certainly not a guest house or hotel) and as such, it is the lowest tier of accommodation in the U/K (apart, that is, from a hostel or the YMCA). I am the cheapest ‘online bookable’ accommodation provider in Cardigan and yet I still manage to rank number 3 of all B&B / Inns in Cardigan with a terrific score of 95%. (At the time of writing.)

Re the T/V issue….Please be advised that all our rooms have flat screen T/Vs’ with the exception of the room which you occupied. Changing all the T/Vs’ to flat screens has been on a rolling programme of repairs and renewals and this final one is due for replacement this autumn. By the way, the existing T/V works very well and the programmes that you see on it are exactly the same as on a flat screen.

Re your comments regarding the breakfast please be advised as follows:-

You made the reservation through Booking.com for 2 nights at £70 per night making a total of £140. I informed you on your day of arrival that I would only charge you £5 and not £7.50 for full English breakfast. However, looking back at my files I have observed that you were only charged a grand total of £145, which means that your breakfast costs were only £2.50 per person.

The ingredients that I use are all prime, fresh and locally sourced whenever possible and I certainly do not microwave my breakfasts as you have stated. The ingredients are all cooked from fresh and are allowed to settle for 10/15 mins. in the ‘bain-marie’ prior to being plated up and served to the table when the guest is ready for service. (This is the reason why I ask all my guests, approx. what time they would wish to have their breakfast). All food preparation and cooking is done in sight of the dining room and because you didn’t actually see me cooking your breakfast you have wrongly assumed that it was microwaved.

I note from a review of another establishment in Cardigan that you have worked in the hospitality business as a chef. You would therefore be well aware of how and why this method of operation is used. I have been taught that all cooked food (even the humble breakfast) should be allowed to settle after cooking.

It is interesting to note that a huge majority of my guests (some of whom have left reviews on here and other review sites) have found my breakfasts to be of an excellent quality and very palatable. They also come back, time and time again to savour my food. One only has to read the comments in my guest book (which is also copied to our website) to see the large number of positive comments regarding said breakfasts.

As a final aside regarding my breakfasts, I noted that during your stay both you, and your partner, completely cleared your plates and when I asked if everything was satisfactory you made no mention of what you have deemed to be ‘appalling quality’.

Finally, regarding the window ?....Why not simply have told me that there was a problem and I would have attended to it immediately.

It is such a shame that you have decided not to pay my ‘pretty average’ establishment a future visit and suggest that should you decide to visit Cardigan again you book in to a 4/5 star hotel. (Albeit the room tariff would be around 50% - 100% more than I charge). Your breakfast would probably be sitting in the bain-marie or under the hot shelf for considerably longer and you would therefore, have the opportunity to hone your ‘keyboard warrior’ skills to much greater effect.

Regards

Godfrey (Owner, operator, chief cook and bottle washer of ‘pretty average really’ (sic) Coed y Bryn Bed and Breakfast)

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Godfrey runs a nice B&B with just the right amount of amenities that is 5 minutes walk from central Cardigan. As a diver and deer conservationist, he is full of stories, and he does everything available to make a happy stay for his customers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Good location, accommodation very good.
Host advised us on where best to visit, as we had a dog with us.

Visited poppitt beach, as this was dog friendly. Very clean and inviting. Amenities excellent.
Nature reserve near accommodation, was relaxing, surprised to see water buffaloes!!