“All in all very pleased”
Review of Min-y-mor Hotel

and 1 more site!
Min-y-mor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Barmouth
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were looking for a short pre-winter break, so stayed here for two nights. Chose here because you can take along your dog. She loved it because it is ideally situated right on the sea front, very close for lots of beach walks.

Our room was of good standard, modern bathroom and clean comfortable bedding. We were expecting the worst when informed we will be given one of the pet friendly rooms (stained carpets and doggy smells) but the only smells were that of paint, as this room had obviously been recently redecorated. There were a few minor irritations, with the room, a ray of bright light came in all around and under the door from the corridor lighting, the extractor fans at the back were right by the window and quite noisey at times, but this didn't spoil our stay. Would of been lovely to have a see view so will ask next time if this is possible when taking a dog.

The staff were generally very pleasant, although some not very engaging with conversation. I think not all are particularly dog lovers, I got the impression the man on duty when we arrived and there again for breakfast on Monday was not a pet lover at all. He appeared quite irritated by our presence.

We chose to eat there on the Sunday evening (just a bar meal, sandwich perhaps) and made it down half hour before they were due to stop serving food, only to be told that they stopped serving half hour before as they were too quiet! Most places that value your custom would probably be able to rustle up a sandwich and a bag of crips, after all, there are times in the information folder for meals and we made sure we were there in good time.Maybe the chef on duty had took the opportunity to go off early and the other staff just couldn't be bothered. Not good for business!

Another irritation that may put others off returning is the fact that there were quite a few locals in the bar on Saturday night,(nothing against that) except few had had quite a bit to drink. Their choice of language left a lot to be desired at times. Although I didn't find it off putting, I would imaging some folks would, especially as it was being tolerated by the staff and in front of paying residents.

All in all we had a pleasant stay, nice to know that there is somewhere we can take our dog. It's a good find for us and expect we shall be returning. Just hope the staff go that little bit further as it would make all the difference.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allison B
Minymor, General Manager at Min-y-mor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Hello, thanks for your review! We are glad you had a nice time and intend to come back to us in future.
I was very sorry to hear that you were unable to dine with us on Sunday night. It is usually our policy to notify guests if we are closing the kitchen earlier than advertised so apologies for that.
Although our bar does get very busy we do not welcome foul language and can only advise that this is not the norm!
Am sorry to hear that one of our members of staff didn't seem overly friendly and will mention this at the next staff meeting as am sure the culprit will know who he is. All our front of house staff do wear name badges so that both positive and negative feedback can be passed on.
Thanks agin for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your ext visit.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Popped in one evening for a meal because it was the first hotel we came across. As soon as we ordered our drinks the barman seemed to be very un-interested in being welcoming. We ordered a meal to be delivered to one of the outside seats but the meal took so long to arrive we asked could we have it inside because it was too cold outside, this immediately confused the barman and and he had even less interest in his job, [Faulty Towers sprang to mind]. We ordered 2 burger and chips because everything else on the menu was unavailable but i must say when it arrived i was very impressed with the generous portions and all in all it was fairly good quality. I'm sure that if the business just brushed up on a few things this would be a perfect place to stat simply because of it's location!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine B

Thanks for your review, am sorry you didn't receive our usual warm , friendly and efficient service. As we usually have quite an extensive menu I was puzzled as to why it seemed that lots was unavailable and after speaking to members of staff on duty it seems as though you only looked at the specials board as all items on our other menu were available? Sorry about this!
We do hope you will consider us in future and can assure you of our best attentions next time.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here at the end of August & our opinion was somewhat mixed.We checked in at around 2.30pm & the man on reception seemed pretty disinterested. We were handed the keys & pointed in the general direction of the rooms but we were not offered any assistance with our luggage.
The room was clean enough & tidy but we thought a bit small for a family room(2 adults plus a 6 year old.). The bathroom had been refurbished to a high standard which contrasted oddly with a chair in the bedroom which had a large split in it revealing the latex filling.

We went downstairs at around 3.05pm to order a bite to eat but were told they stopped serving food at 3pm. We found it odd that a two star hotel had no food whatsover available until dinner time, so we had to go straight out to a cafe.

We ate in the bar on our first night, although there is a seperate dining room too, along with a small residents lounge The bar staff were friendly & the meal we ordered was good & we didn't wait long for it to arrive.

Breakfast is served in a large dining room. My wife & I ordered a cooked breakfast & our grandson had a continental breakfast. The breakfast was poorly cooked in our opinion, the sausages were inferior in quality, the tomatoes were tinned and the continental breakfast was 'sparse'....one croissant & one bread roll & barely qualified as a continental breakfast. A waitress brought toast which turned out to be burnt black which was changed by the man who had been on reception the previous day, without comment or apology.
The coffee was instant and in our view, a poor brand.

On our second day we decided to eat in the restaurant. It was advised that we should book a table because the restaurant was popular locally and could get very busy.I went to the reception desk where the same man was on duty. I stood at the desk for around a minute or so & the man continued to read something without looking up. I attracted his attention and he said" I didn't notice you stood there" which I found odd as I am around 6ft 1, seventeen stone & was wearing a big hat.

I booked a table for 3 at 7.30pm. We were the only names in the book, on booking.
We arrived at 7.30pm prompt, there were around a dozen of so people seated. There was no sign of any service staff. After about 10 or 15 minutes a waitress appeared and apologized for keeping us waiting for so long. She told us she was very busy. She took our orders. I ordered a drink for our grandson, a jug of water & asked to see the wine list. A least half an hour passed before we saw the waitress again. We asked when the food was going to arrive, our grandson was now getting very hungry by this time & we repeated our request to have a look at the wine list.The waitress appeared to become aggressive & angry. She told us we should have come earlier, asked for the childs food to be served straightaway & didn't we realize she had to serve in other parts of the establishment. She ended the conversation by telling us that" if we didn't like it we were at liberty to leave" We found this a bit rich considering we had already paid £204 'up front for the room.
After this lively discussion the food & wine arrived very quickly. We never got the water & didn't like to ask...!!! The sad thing is, the food we had in the evening at the hotel is very good, they clearly have someone who can cook, however, the breakfasts are poor & customer service needs a lot of work( not the bar staff who were very pleasant) .The member of staffs behaviour, that night was by far and away the worst I have experienced, anywhere. With hindsight I also realized there is a "specials" list of menu items in the public bar, these were not offered to us in the dining room. In effect there is a larger choice of food in the public bar than there is in the restaurant.
To sum up... The quality of the food we had in the evening was good(its someone different cooking the breakfasts) friendly efficient bar staff, excellent location, convenient for town & beach. The down side, Disinterested reception staff no friendliness or warmth from them, very rude, inefficient staff on duty in the restaurant during the evening which cancelled out the good bits, in our view. A residents bar would be an advantage for those with young children. Minuses outweigh the pluses..... in our view

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank giskard2000
Minymor, Front Office Manager at Min-y-mor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thanks for your review all feedback is important to us and helps us improve.
In relation to the room size as we are a very old building our rooms do vary is size , yours ( room 10) had been recently refurbished and was awaiting a new chair. this has since been replaced!

As we are only a small seaside hotel we do not offer food all day as it would not be cost effective, however we are only five minuets walk from the town so this is not usually a problem for most of our guests.

Thanks for mentioning the breakfast sausages again , as we have had several negative comments on them we will look in to sourcing an alternative. we do buy the best quality breakfast sausages from our award winning Butchers but as they are proving unpopular we will change them post Haste. We do use instant coffee at breakfast but it is Nescaffe.

I was pleased you enjoyed your evening meals with us but very saddened to hear about the poor customer service you received on the second night! We have recently implemented a name badge system so that both positive and negative feedback can be aimed at the right members of staff.
Once again please accept my apologies regarding the poor customer service.

With regard to your comments about a residents bar , unfortunately due to our size this would not be ecconomically viable, however guests are free to take drinks through to the residents bar.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Enjoyed a two night break here .... Checked in on the day we arrived in Barmouth we had not pre booked we had two excellent days .... Great food excellent rooms ,staff,service . Would recommend to anybody looking for a nice stay to try this hotel .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Minymor, Front Office Manager at Min-y-mor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thanks for your review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us to others. We hope to welcome you back soon. Why not try one of our special breaks next time or join our Facebook page for future offers.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed a few times, very accommodating and friendly hotel. Food very nice. Location is superb. staff are top rate and look after you well. will go to Barmouth just to stay there! wide choice of rooms and entairtainment evenings are good too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for your very positive review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to offering you a warm and friendly welcome on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I visited this hotel with family in late September.
Several days earlier we had enjoyed a very acceptable Sunday lunch,so were keen to return to enjoy another meal.
Lamb shank was good,lamb curry was good.Steak was not.I requested a medium rare steak,but it was served well cooked, draped over what appeared to be a bed of mushrooms.I informed the waitress that the steak was not cooked to my request so she returned the steak to the kitchen and brought it back a few minutes later having been cooked even more!
When I explained yet again the the steak had been overcooked she argued that the steak was red in the middle even though she had not cut the steak herself.
The barman then joined in the conversation and stated that "I think the chef knows what he is doing"
The waitress then asked if I would like an alternative meal,then turned away to serve another customer.
My money £18.50 was returned and for the rest of the meal I sat and watched my dining guests finish their meal.
I think some customer service training would be beneficial to some of the staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank susan j

Thank you for your feedback, we were very disappointed with your comments and apologise sincerely if the waitress was not polite to you! This is most unusual as most people find our staff very amenable , we get lots of positive feedback on how helpful and friendly they are. We have implemented a new system of name badges so that customers can pass on both positive and negative feedback about employees when required.
In relation to our overall score, I do find your score quite disappointing and wonder why you came back to dine with us a second time if the food, location and cleanliness was so lacking? I am sorry your meal was not cooked to your liking , but as you say you were offered an alternative! As the rest of the meals were well cooked and good quality I don't know why this was unacceptable to you?
Once again I would like to express my apologies for the poor service , and hope you will consider trying us again in future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for one night and were very disappointed with the room, food and facilities.
The bedroom was in a poor state of repair with damp on the walls and the wall paper falling off. There was no shower only a bath and this was not told to us when we made telephone booking.
The breakfast was very average.
It is close to the beach so worth it for that.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank clare32
Minymor, Front Office Manager at Min-y-mor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thanks for your feedback , having discussed this matter with you it seems you stayed in room 16 which is just about to be completely revamped. I am sorry this was not explained to you at the time and hope you will consider us for future visits.
P.S I will also look in to the quality of the jam served at breakfast and see if it can be improved. If you do come back please consider dining with us at lunch time or in the evening as we can assure you you will not be disappointed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barmouth
Ty'r Graig Castle
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool
Caerwylan Hotel
Caerwylan Hotel
#1 of 6 in Criccieth

Been to Min-y-mor Hotel? Share your experiences!