Ty'r Graig Castle
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Dolffanog Fawr(Talyllyn)
View Hotel
All reviewsturret roomstained glass windowsinteresting historyentrance hallowners and staffcardigan bayoriginal featuressea viewevening mealfour postersmall hotelon arrivalbeautiful buildingfantastic viewsfish and chipsmany thanksone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 June 2008

This was our fifth stay in Wales in a week of travelling and up to this pont we had been very pleased with the very high standards of service,food and accommodation we had received. Ty'r Craig Castle with it's wonderful trip advisor reviews was to be the climax of a lovely week.
We were on the top floor and although I am a pensioner,on arrival I was asked to carry my fairly hefty case up four flights of stairs.The owner commented that I seemed to have a big case for one night.The turret room was ok, but not the special experience I had been led to believe in the trip advisor reviews. I would have ranked it 4th of 5 bedrooms we had stayed in during the week.There were no real personal touches and the TV would only tune into 4 stations and none of them main ones.(PS. This was not down to stupidity. I have a highly sophisticated TV and home theatre system at home.)
The downstairs of the hotel was beautiful with very attracive decor and lovely wood panelling and stained glass. The upper floors would have benefited fom some much brighter wallpaper bringing some much needed light into the funereal corridors. The dining room/conservatory was a very pleasant place to eat a meal indeed, although the much vaunted view does include a caravan site and housing estate. Unfortunately the cuisine and the service did not match it.
The menu was in our view unimaginative (i.e. there was nothing we could not have cooked at home on it). We were offered only three choices of ice cream until we pointed out there were two other varieties elsewhere on the menu. We were initially told there was no cheeseboard available, but then the owner came through and said there was one after all. I asked her what was on it and she couldn't name a single one! I threw out a few suggestions of welsh cheeses like Perl Wen that we had experienced on this trip,but she had no knowledge of these.The waitress was friendly but inexperienced.
Breakfast finishes at 9.30 and we came down at 9.15am. I was looking forward to eating again in the conservatory but like the previous couple to come down we were told that it was no longer available despite the fact that there were clearly a number of empty tables( interestingly the whole of the conservatory had been stripped and cleared by 9.35.) The table we were given was not fully prepared. Breakfast had a limited range of starters i.e. Cereals and stewed fruit and the toaster only toasted on one side of the bread.I commented on this to the waitress who seemed to be expected to do everything on her own.
Ty'r Craig Castle clearly has a lot of potential but my over riding impression was of a place where we were expected to fit round the needs of the owners rather than receive a professional service. We were even asked to switch off the lights downstairs before going to bed at 10.30 pm, a small thing in itself and only noticed because it echoed our general impression of the place.
When we were presented with our final bill we were asked to pay £60 more than the verbal and written contracted amount we had received previously. This the owner said was a mistake and to prevent unpleasantness we compromised on a negotiated amount.
I am not normally a moaner and write reviews regularly on the net for a wide range of services and goods. This is the most negative review I have ever written. Perhaps we did just catch them on a bad day.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Hopemole
sporeman001, Owner at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2008

We are naturally saddened by this bitter review.
Regarding the bill, the correct price was given over the phone for dinner, b&b basis but unfortunately, due to a human error, the lower b&b rate was used in the email confirmation. It was clear to see that this was a genuine error. Not only are the rates prominently displayed in and around our premises but the mistake had priced the reviewer’s double room at £45 when our lowest-priced single room costs £55 per night. Nevertheless, we came to a compromise in which the reviewer was able to take advantage of and benefited from our mistake. We are therefore puzzled at the suggestion that we tried to overcharge.
We take pride in our traditional, home-cooked menu as it complements the traditional values of the castle and is popular with a large majority of our guests and non-resident diners. Naturally, we can’t please every taste but we always respect our guest’s freedom of choice should they prefer to dine elsewhere.
With all the other demeanours highlighted by the reviewer we’re of the opinion that there was nothing more that we could have done to meet their expectations. We can only take comfort in the knowledge that all the other guests who stayed with us over the same period (most of whom longer than 1 night) had an enjoyable stay.

Kind regards

Janette & Khalid Osman (Resident Proprietors)

Reviewed 5 June 2008

An unusual property that sits on the high ground above and a little to the north of the town of Barmouth. We received and very warm welcome from the Chef , Jackie, who happended to be manning reception when we arrived. later we met the proprietors , Mr & Mrs Osman who were excellent hosts and took a real interest in our visit and went out of their way to be helpful.

Our room , one of the tower rooms was well furnished and had spectacular views out to sea. The only minor critiscism was the very small bathroom, one of the smallest I have come across in a hotel.

On with the positive things about this hotel. The breakfasts were great and the one evening meal we took in the hotel we excellent, dining in the conservatory with stunning sea views.

All the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I frequently stay in Holiday Inns, mainly for business trips. The main reason for using them is that you generally know what to expect in advance. The one thing they are not is memorable. Not so the Ty'r Graig Castle.

It is hotels such as these where the reviews on Tripadvisor are invaluable – and I have found that it is a pretty reliable barometer as to what to expect. As others have stated, we were greeted with a great welcome from the proprietors Janette & Khalid who proved to be excellent hosts throughout our stay. Mention must also be made of the chef Jackie who often served the food as well; her enthusiasm was quite infectious! This all contributed towards the pleasant, relaxed atmosphere which we enjoyed and very much appreciated.

We had booked a standard double room. While it was on the small side, the en-suite shower room was positively cramped, measuring the same width as the shower tray (approximately 2’6”) by 8’. If I stayed again, I would book a large double (at additional cost). That aside, the room was clean and comfortable.

The food was a highlight – as others have commented it was very good indeed. In addition, we found the pace of table service to be very good with gaps in between courses to be about right – not so long as to make you feel you’d been forgotten and not so short as to make you feel as if you’re being rushed. Although the menu didn’t change, there was enough choice to try a variety of dishes if you are staying for a few days. The wine list was fine, and reasonably priced, but the selection of beers was rather disappointing – only two, Worthingtons on draught and Budweiser in bottles. (I accept this is not a large establishment, and a larger choice of draught beer is probably not justifiable, but a wider choice of bottled beer would be welcome). Traditional breakfasts are on offer, and these too were excellent with a wide choice of ‘cooked’.

It was generally quiet – the rooms looking towards the sea (I think most of them do) are on the opposite side to the road – we could hear no traffic noise, but there is a railway not too far away, albeit passing the hotel at a much lower level. My wife was awoken at 4am with a train rumbling along. It isn’t an especially busy line, and I suspect that most people would not find the noise too intrusive.

Finally, one major plus point – this is a totally non-smoking hotel. This gave us much confidence that our room would not smell of stale cigarette smoke. In fact, there is a note that states if anyone does smoke in the bedroom, £50 will be added to their bills to get rid of the smell! I wish more hotels would do this.

Would I stay here again? Definitely, but with the caveat of booking a Large double room.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honest-Jim
Reviewed 30 April 2008

I recently had a wonderful weekend break at this delightful hotel. I stayed with my brother and sister as we wanted a nostalgic weekend to remind us of the wonderful holidays we spent in this part of the world when we were very young. The hotel owners and all the staff were so welcoming and friendly. We loved the dining room and the outstanding view over Cardigan Bay. The food was very good, although we didn't always do justice to it as the helpings were so generous. We really could not fault anything and I am going back soon with my husband as I know he will love it there too.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Gemima
Reviewed 29 March 2008

We just love this place after spending christmas and new year here we are back already! As usual we had a lovely warm welcome and smiley faces from all the staff and the owners Khalid and Janette, we booked an amazing room again and were lucky enough to have a sunset every evening of our stay. We dined in the conservatory (for the views) and the food was absolutely out of this world, i think we both put on a few to many pounds! many thanks to Khalid for the wine choices. We have booked our next visit already we are just so impressed with everyone and everything. Many thanks for another wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank thepaulos