“Beautiful location,lovely staff,food overpriced”
Review of Ty'r Graig Castle

Ty'r Graig Castle
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Barmouth
Telford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location,lovely staff,food overpriced”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I really loved this hotel, my single room was delightful(next door shower right by my headboard and noisy), The staff were so nice and helpful. I was disappointed by the lack of fresh vegetables or salad with dinner and the venison was a bit tough and overcooked, but the fish and chips were good. No extra toiletries in room which I have had in less pricey hotels and would make a nice touch. Beautiful view from the terrace and from my window if you ignore the council estate!!
On the whole a charming place to stay and a warm welcome awaits any visitor. I would also have preferred to be served toast at breakfast and not to have to make my own, should not have to do this in a 4* hotel.

Room Tip: Single room is more than big enough and with a good size en-suite, a bit noisy from next room when i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Marguerite W
TGCManagement, Owner at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Dear Marguerite W, we're delighted that you really loved the hotel. Each item on the menu comes with its own accompaniment i.e. vegetables, salad or chips although we will swap and change if requested. Extra portions are also available as side orders. Many hotels now offer guests the freedom of making their own toast at breakfast as it allows them to have it as they like it. The majority feedback affirms this view but we will, nevertheless, note your comment on this matter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Yes it's a striking structure built on a lovely cliff-top setting with an interesting history and architectural design which the owner is happy to relay during an enthusiastic tour as you arrive, but after a four hour drive I would have preferred some help taking our four bags up three narrow flights of stairs and through two staircase doors en-route to our room.
First impressions are good. It has that old-world charm in the sitting room area and the view out to sea is pleasing.
But the room, at over £100 per night, we stayed in room 11, just isn't up to scratch. It's small, but that's acceptable in an old building. It's the carpet, the furniture and the furnishings that disappoint and there are no nice little touches that you come to expect from a £100 hotel room.
The en-suite is just a partitioned section of the original room which might have been fine 35 years ago but today it is more akin to an unclassified seaside guest-house rather than a 3 star hotel. I'm assuming 3 stars, it can't be any higher surely.
Because we arrived after 8pm on the Friday we decided to just stroll into Barmouth and have a snack somewhere which turned out to be chips & gravy on a seaside bench, rather pleasant really with a glass of wine and a beer from a nearby pub.
The second night we ate in the hotel. Starter was nice, pate. My wife didn't enjoy her main as the fish came in a rather unpleasant tomato sauce based sauce and the veg was overcooked.
I had the Moroccan lamb stew which was described as spicy and flavoursome. It was a very bland dish of stewed meat in a gravy, no spice and no flavour. I'm not even sure it was lamb, it didn't taste like lamb. We both agreed it tasted more like beef. It was in fact very like one of those tinned beef stews you can buy from a supermarket. If I was 80 years old I might have enjoyed the beef stew and rice but I'm not and when I order a Moroccan Lamb stew I expect something bursting with flavour and spice, and I kind-off expect to get lamb.
And just to top off the experience the bottle of Prosecco we ordered to celebrate my wife's birthday was presented to us at room temperature and so had to sit in an ice bucket for twenty minutes before we could toast the occasion.
Breakfast was pretty nice but both mornings they served us with fried eggs when we asked for poached.
I've rated it poor because of the price. If it was £60 per night I'd say it was average. But really, in today's market it still isn't good enough. They need to re-invest in the bedrooms, bathrooms and overall interior decor. And they also need to either bring in a new chef or send the current one on culinary course in a modern day kitchen. I don't mean to sound horrible but he's currently presenting a menu and a style of cooking that went out of date twenty years ago.
My advice, research the area and at £100 per night you will find a much better standard of accommodation than is currently available here, and then have a day visit to Barmouth which is certainly worth a visit.

Room Tip: We did get a peak into another room which looked a little bigger than ours and did have a small balc...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
TGCManagement, Owner at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Mark6336, Sorry to read that we are not what you expected. We know you won't be returning but for the benefit of others reading this, we wish to correct some misimpressions in your review. Ours is a small couple-run seaside guest accommodation. The building is steeped in Victorian history and sits on a lovely spot. We run the hotel with warm, genuine hospitality and we place great importance in good old fashioned service and quality. Some have even called us 'old school'. We're open and honest to all our guests and care highly towards their needs and comfort during their stay here. We accept, as in your case, we can't please everyone no matter how hard we try. We offer a personal service appreciated by a large majority. Our guests are taken personally to their rooms when they arrive and the welcome
tour is never forced upon them. In a separate review you suggested that we hand out information leaflets instead but that, is impersonal and not what we are. We always offer help with bags and other needs but will respect when an offer is declined. Despite this, we would have insisted on helping had you really been struggling with the small overnight bags you had with you. Any problems brought to our attention we will try and resolve as best possible. It's a shame you chose not to mention the issues you had over dinner when we did a table check.
Nevertheless, we have taken note of your comments and where valid, will take steps to improve. The good old-fashioned menu reflects the theme of the place and appreciated by many. It's not 'fine or nouveau cuisine' and the price reflects that. Most items on the menu are cooked to order and we only use lamb in our lamb stew. If we decide to use different meat it
takes no effort for us to call it what it is. You'll find that our pricing is in line with other accommodation types in Barmouth where trade is seasonal. Sorry if you found this too high for you even with a voucher to pay for your first night stay. We are comfortable in the knowledge that we meet the expectations of most people but will never be complacent about improving and re-investing.
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very nice room but would have prefered sea view but booled last mimite and none left
excellent breakfast

Two nights dinner First Night very good Slight problems with second night (Different chef) but rectified straight away by owners

Would stay there again

Room Tip: All rooms seemed good
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delia S
TGCManagement, Owner at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hello Delia S, thank you for your feedback and pleased to note that you'd stay here again. We shall be be looking forward to hearing more of your charity work in India. In the meantime, best wishes from all of us here.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my other half stayed here for 2 nights come home today and what can i say the place is breath taking we had a double room with a sea view when we seen the room it was breath taking we even had our own balcony such a beautifull relaxing place will be recomending to every1 we no the breakfast is delicious as well will deffo come again, all the staff are friendly and helpful
( sarah and stevie room 4)

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank s w
TGCManagement, Owner at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Sarah and Stevie, it's wonderful to hear that you both enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for all your compliments and we look forward to your next stay here. All the very best wishes to you.
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel in a great position with fantastic coastal views was built as a folly but is far from that now. A great welcome from the owner and a little tour explaining its history before being shown to room. The hotel is clean and comfortable and my single room was a good size. The owners are very friendly and helpful as are all of the staff. The breakfast was well cooked and did a good veggie option with good quality veggie sausages. Did not dine in so cannot comment on restaurant. I will certainly stay again if in Barmouth as I had such a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Not sure how many single rooms but the one I had was a good size and had a great view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
TGCManagement, Owner at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear exmoorplodder, it was a pleasure looking after you and we're just pleased to hear that you had a nice experience here. Thank you for sharing it with us and we look forward to your return visit.
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Wanted to stay at this hotel since I was a young lad back in '85. Latest check in was 10pm but due to traffic on a Friday night we arrived around 10:30pm. We called ahead to say this and when we arrived were greeted by the friendly owner who asked if our trip was ok bar the traffic. He showed us round the hotel and filled us in on the history even a this time of night, which I thought was very nice and going above n beyond duties then ti end even asking if we wanted grip with our bags to our rooms, which we declined as they had done enough already. We stayed two nights in the turret sea room view and the room was very nice, clean with wifi and tea/coffee making facilities. To be picky the bed was a little hard for me but if that's all I got I have nothing. On our last night we stayed on the other turret room with a four poster bed. Agsin everything as before in the room and the bed was softer which was nice and again great sea view. Breakfast was nice with friendly waiters and will set you up for the day. We didn't gave any evening meals as we like to eat out. Overall this hotel has 5 star qualities. I'm glad I stayed there n hope to go back once again soon....also a great base to get to the must see sights in the snowdonia region....looking for somewhere a little special then this place is for you. Do try and get the top turret rooms......my thanks to all the staff for making our stay a nice and relaxed one....you will find us in the guest book...Stu n Stacey.....

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Stu, we're so pleased to have been able to make your childhood wish a pleasant and fulfilling reality. Thank you for your kind compliments and we look forward to looking after you again on your next visit.
England
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hotel was comfortably decorated in a nice country house style, impeccably clean & very well managed. We were made to feel welcome and the hotel has a very relaxed holiday atmosphere.

Breakfast was well cooked, good coffee and helpful staff. Residents bar was well stocked and after a stroll back from town, it was lovely to sink into comfy chairs with waiter service.

Rooms were again very clean with crisp linen - amazingly quick WIFI, DVD Player installed and lots of tea / coffee supplies.

I do think perhaps the curtains could do with blocking a bit more light out and shower alternated between boiling & freezing (whilst not been very powerful) but that's me being picky!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
TGCManagement, Owner at Ty'r Graig Castle, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Hello Shiregirl. Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of your time here and we hope you'll come back and stay with us again some time in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barmouth
Bae Abermaw
#1 of 23 in Barmouth
Crystal House
Crystal House
#14 of 23 in Barmouth

Been to Ty'r Graig Castle? Share your experiences!