““Very unsatisfactory stay””

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bodelwyddan
London, United Kingdom
““Very unsatisfactory stay””
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have stayed twice at the Faenol Fawr - the room booked by my employer. The food was fair/good in the restaurant and the staff were very cheerful. Unfortunately the rest was very poor. On my first visit I awoke in the night to a loud male voice. I thought he was in the room with me until I realised that he was talking on the phone in the next room. The next morning the manager changed my room to a annex just outside the hotel. This room was fine but the sauna and pool on that occasion were unappealing. There were 6 in my group and we ordered a packed lunch - appalling for £8 each - mouldy fruit, cheap crisps and cheese or ham in dry white bread. On the second visit I requested an annex room . The room was dirty and stained especially the sofa and carpet - I had to use a bed cover just to sit down . It was obvious that the carpet and sofa had not been cleaned after the last guest but the skirting boards showed years of dust. The bedroom and bathroom upstairs were in contrast very clean. Tv reception was poor downstairs and did not exist in the bedroom. I tried to contact hotel management by the room telephone - no answer even when I used the emergency number! The following morning I waited 10 mins in vain at reception to check out and complain but no one was around and with my taxi outside I could not wait.

Room Tip: Pot luck - all in my group reported different problems
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PJackson528
JGODDARDBodelwyddan, Owner at The Faenol Fawr Country Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Gosh - Thank you for your review and for time taken and all l can apologise for the misdemeanours encountered here ? I've had a look at things on your detailed list staring at the tv reception ,today and all appears perfect so lm unaware if we had storm that evening?
the dusting issues and things l ve reported and spoken to my house keepers and they are sorry
The man on the phone l unable to trace lm afraid and l can only offer my personal apologies for this extra noisy individual we do have signs asking for respect at late times.The packed lunch issues and things I cant reiterate on as lm unsure what items were in involved but the cost of this at the figure quoted and quality lm at a loss a sandwich at the hotel costs from £3.95 etc.
The rest of the party problems lm also unaware lm afraid but I wish you could have let me know on reception which opens at 7.15am
Wishing you a wonderful bank holiday weekend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Meols, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We attended a cousin's wedding this weekend and stayed overnight. The food was beautiful and the service very courteous and efficient.
Good food in the evening too. Didn't see a lift in the building so if there isn't one it would be impossible for disabled people to get up the steep stairs. Apologies if there is a lift. Our room was at the back of the hotel on the ground floor. It was comfortable and quiet, but we found the pillows a little bit on the hard side !
Breakfast is served in a lovely bright dining area and there was a good choice.
All in all would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the hotel for a friend's wedding. It was set in beautiful surroundings and the building and rooms were lovely. The best part is the staff. All so helpful and chatty. I am 8 months pregnant and I got more than enough assistance. Made our stay very easy and comfortable. Would highly recommend. Thank you for all the assistance.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

After a busy Easter weekend of mountain walks, cycling and walking the dogs, we chose to spend a relaxing Sunday evening (as usual) at the Faenol. The staff never fail to give us a warm welcome and tonight was no exception. The food was as always fabulous, Mike had a beautiful prawn salad to start followed by a hot beef dinner. I chose the pate followed by roast turkey with all the trimmings. As you can see from the photo, the food is plentiful and I can assure you it's of a very high quality. The presentation is half the battle, the eyes are the first to taste a meal but here it's consistently presented well on every visit. The atmosphere is perfect, no hustle and bustle like so many places, it's just so relaxing, the ideal place to enjoy a quality meal. I'd recommend the Faenol, especially if you like a romantic or relaxing setting with friendly staff catering for your every need. It's so nice to be able to sit down, relax and enjoy a lovely meal without excessive noise and disturbance around you. Well done Faenol Fawr, and thank you for making our Sunday evenings so enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We just spent 3 nights at the hotel and had a great time

The accommodation was great with a lovely setting , food was superb and a varied choice - really good value

The owners of the hotel were genuine and welcoming and it was a delight to stay there for a restful break - nothing was too much trouble

We would highly reccomend this hotel and we will certainly be going back

Jon and Jayne

Room Tip: We had a standard room - there are many other types available including cottge room outside the main...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Thank you Jonathan and team for giving me the best day of my life. You organised our wedding day perfectly. The food was outstanding, the staff were excellent (especially Danielle who was wonderful, smiley, kind, everything I could have hoped for). You sent a member of staff to collect belongings I had left in the hotel I stayed in the night before which saved me a lot of time and hassle. The bridal suite was luxurious, the bed comfortable and the room clean and tidy. I would recommend this venue to any bride to be, you gave us whatever we wanted...choice of drinks for drinks reception, a trio of desserts, you had something for the veggies and vegans and you looked after everybody. Thank you so much.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Wales Uk
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Faenol was chosen by my daughter for her wedding reception. All I can say is that I am 100 percent happy & delighted with the quality of the hotel & the service. We were treated brilliantly from start to finish.
The guy in charge was always floating about , not just interacting with guests , but working hands on with staff. Must say the staff were very attentive throughout my stay ( one night - other family members stayed two nights).
It was a special day for us as a family & I can only thank the owners for providing service OVER AND ABOVE , sorting out one or two things to ensure our day , and most importantly the day of the bride & groom , ran faultlessly.
Breakfast was excellent , toast , sausage scrambled egg , bacon etc etc. The room was spotless , the grounds were stunning , the wedding meal was the best I have had. I have been to many functions and know it can be tricky catering for numbers. The quality & service of the food was second to none.
You may gather that I am happy with the Faenol Fawr. It was a once in a lifetime day , my daughter wanted a fairytale wedding and Faenol Fawr gave their best to make sure this happened.
I would highly recommend the Faenol , and I will definately be coming back again for a meal / overnight stay.
There is a swimming pool but I hadn't brought my cozzie so could not try it out.
Best bits? Reception staff , the food , the owner , the grounds , the peacocks!

Room Tip: I was in 409 , it was quiet and had excellent shower and comfy beds. The peacocks are a delightful f...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodelwyddan
Pier Hotel Rhyl
#1 of 2 in St. Asaph
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy

Been to The Faenol Fawr Country Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!