“Excellant long weekend break”

Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bodelwyddan
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We (husband and self, mother, sister and brother in law) have recently returned from Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel after spending an excellent first class break with Warners. The hotel setting and the grounds were all beautifully well kept and ideal for our long weekend break.

We all had rooms in Princes Hall which was ideal for my elderly mother and my semi disabled husband as it was so near the main hotel facilities. We had three 'Signature' rooms and found them to be very large, spotlessly clean, and well kept the whole four days of our stay, by a very friendly maid.

Every member of staff were polite and courteous and always passed the time of day as you met them, we were made to feel very valued guests. The restaurant was very well set out and had a wide and varied menu at all mealtimes and our waiter Darren was a very friendly and competent young man.

We did encounter a problem on arrival to our rooms but this was immediately rectified to our complete satisfaction by Kaye the Guest Relations manager. I personally cannot thank her enough for the solution she came up with and suffice to say my mother was made to be a very 'special' person on Mothers Day............many grateful thanks.

The swimming pool was so warm and we enjoyed a couple of good swim sessions. My husband and brother in law enjoyed their sessions of Archery and the Rifle Shooting, but unfortunately due to their popularity couldn't get on all the sessions they would have liked. Whilst they were on their Archery my mother, sister and self enjoyed a nice walk round the castle and art gallery and found this very interesting. The quizzes that were put on were well organised and our family team even won one of them.

The evening entertainment was brilliant, although we personally found the dancing a little long winded, but hey that was someone else's gain, as they floor was always full of dancers. The last show, 'Dream Lover' put on by the entertainment team on the Sunday night was excellent and so professional, that I likened it to a West End show.

I think that quite a few of the rival large holiday chains could learn a lot from the Warner group of hotels who appear to have a very successful organisation. This was my first holiday with Warners and it wont be my last now I have discovered them.

Room Tip: We found the 'Signature' rooms to be very large and excellent choice. Rooms in the Princes...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank realplayer
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us with your feedback!!

I am so happy to see that you had a wonderful time with us and the team looked after you so well.

I am sure you can appreciate that with a hotel of our size, things can go wrong from time to time. However, I am so pleased to see that Kaye put right any issues you may have had so quickly and you all enjoyed your mothers day break away!!

Kind regards Claire Fletcher GM

There are newer reviews for Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We are returning this month for our second visit and I am really looking forward to it. The staff are very helpful, always smiling and nothing seems to much trouble. Staying in Williams Village again. Thoroughly recommend this.........far better than Thorsby Hall.

2  Thank Kingers2014

Hello

Thank you so much for your very complimentary review!!

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed yourself with us so much you are returning. William's Village is such a beautiful area of the Hotel, I am positive you will have a brilliant time!!

Thank you again for your recommendation and we will see you soon !!

Claire Fletcher GM

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The setting of the hotel and grounds are beautiful. The staff are very friendly and always have time for a chat. Our room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. There is a lot of variety on the menu all very well set out and fine dining starters.

The facilities were great, the pool was lovely and warm, the archery and riffle shooting are good fun. Even had a go at indoor bowls. Thoroughly enjoyable events.

Only negative is some of the entertainment was very dated, but Fletch in the lounge bar was great. And there was no wifi in the room, had to go to the cafe to use it.

Room Tip: Don't need to upgrade as standard room is brilliant.
1  Thank J0hn949

Hello

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments with regards to the team, the activities you took part in and your room!!

I am sorry that on this occasion, the entertainment was not to your taste, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed most aspects of your holiday!

Kind Regards Claire Fletcher GM

Reviewed 29 March 2014

This was a great relaxing holiday, the food was really good a bit squashed in at the tables but didn't spoil it for us, so much to do it was hard to choose, Nicola in the Spa gives a great massage also great advice from the bowling chaps. If you want to chill and be entertained this is the place for you. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Every member of staff we encountered was helpful and curtious nothing was to much trouble and all done with a smile.
Like I say if you want relax this is the place for you

2  Thank Patricia B
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Hello

Thank you for your 5 star review!!!

I am happy to read that you had such a great time and the team all looked after you so well.

We pride ourselves on the fact our guests can do as little or as much as they like and I am pleased that you enjoyed your massage and the Bowls Hall team gave you some great advice!!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife and I principally booked our weekend break to use this as a base for exploring this region of North Wales. It is well situated for that purpose, being just off the A55 main coastal route.
The "castle" has no ancient history, but does house an interesting museum concentrating mainly on the period since around 1900 when it transitioned from a wealthy landowners residence to a posh girls school. The furniture and furnishings of the period are well preserved and provide interesting insights. Entrance is free for Warner guests.
The grounds are also a delight, with areas laid out formally, or within traditional walled gardens. The formally maintained areas give way to woodlands in one direction; whilst to the front there are far reaching views across farmland to distant hills. Only the thrum of the traffic in the valley bottom intrudes on this idyllic setting.
Other parts of the original building have been converted to the guest bedrooms or other parts of the hotel complex. Our room was similar in standard to a Travel Inn, being of a good size with Queen/King bed and en-suite. It overlooked a small walled courtyard which I suspect would be pleasant during summer months. The room was spotlessly clean and the standard of furnishings etc was good.
The main reception was just across the courtyard and our check in was managed very efficiently. That building also housed the dining room and the main evening entertainment hall and bar. Two other day time coffee shops (one also serving beer) are also on site. There is a gym, games room, pool and spa.
The standard and variety of food during our stay was excellent - probably better than we expected. It was particularly nice to have not only a choice of items available from the buffet, but also two or three dishes each evening that will be served to your table if you so choose. There was a different menu each night. There is an affordable wine list. The dining room is split up into a number of linked but separate sections and the only slightly adverse comment I would make is that the larger part could be noisy (because of the high ceiling I think). I would recommend asking for one of the more discretely positioned tables if you prefer a more tranquil meal time.
This is the second Warner resort we have visited, using both of them simply as a convenient base. Whilst I am aware that they offer a multitude of daytime activities we have never participated in any of them, so cannot attest to their quality etc. However we did go to the after dinner entertaiment shows in what was once the great hall of the castle. This typically consisted of some fairly amateurish, but none the less mildly amusing, antics from the in house entertainments team; and quite a lot of old time dancing (although I am never quite sure whether that is now trendy following the success of Strictly). However these were largely just a warm up to the professional entertainers who were brought in on the Friday and Saturday nights. I have read a few adverse comments elsewhere, but if you can just accept it for what it is then some enjoyment can be derived, even if only from people watching. Of the two professional acts, Friday was a comedian who was simply excellent. Fast witted and bouncing jokes of audience reactions he had very one laughing without the need for language etc that might offend some. Saturday was a Michael Jackson tribute act which frankly I had been dreading on the assumption that he would murder the songs, In fact he and his two backing singers/dancers was excellent and they bought the house down. If these were typical of the acts that Warner habitually hire then I would have to say that the company is paying attention to quality control in all areas.
Finally, a word about the staff. It did not matter where we encountered a staff member, be they cleaners, bar staff, waiters etc they were universally pleasant and clearly highly trained in the delivery of excellent customer service. I have been to 5 star resorts that could learn a thing or two about how to treat customers from these employees.
I accept that Warners will not be everybody. Yes the clientele average age range is probably over 60 (but is that old anymore?) and yes it has slight overtones of Butlins for adults. But approached with an open mind and a willingness to "be happy" it has a lot of variety to offer.

Room Tip: The most convenient section is probably immediately opposite the reception area building
3  Thank RedCompliance11

Hello

Thank you so much for your comments, we really appreciate them.

I am so pleased to read that you had such a great time and enjoyed all aspects of your holiday, in particular the entertainment.

I myself stayed on to watch the Michael Jackson Tribute and agree that he was excellent and full of energy.

Thank you again for your lovely comments and I will feed these back in our next Team Leaders meeting.

Kind Regards Claire Fletcher GM

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Gorgeous setting, plenty to do, lovely food - BUT! Tables squashed together in dining room; 6 inch space between our party and next, too many diners squashed in. Entertainment room was too packed as well. Standard of singing very poor from entertainment team, although resident band very good; almost as good as billed acts. Entertainment manager (young woman) very condescending, like a hammed up Hi-De-Hi act, and 2 hours of inane game type activity is not acceptable from 8 till 10pm on Saturday night, when main act The Fortunes came on. Now we discover they are planning to build extra accommodation by knocking down bowling hall; more people packed in to share less activities sounds like a recipe for disaster and we will not come back. Warners are getting too greedy and will end up losing customers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Carol W

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback here on tripadvisor.

I would like to assure you that we take all of our guests comments seriously and use these to improve on the service and standards we offer.

I apologise that on this occasion the entertainment was not to your satisfaction, as you can see we have many guests who really enjoy what we have to offer.

With regards to your comments on the bowls hall and extra accomdation, I can only re assure you that we have many 'new & exciting' plans for Bodelwyddan in the future and would give surety that we would not take more guests than we can fit in.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We chilled out and visited the places of interest we wanted to in the area and had a totally relaxing stay. We preferred the food here to other Warner venues but it lacks comfortable relaxation areas such as are available in their manor house hotels. We don't do the entertainment scene so can only rely others opinions ....who seemed to be there for this alone....and who enjoyed.

• Stayed: March 2014

Hello

Thank you for leaving us with your feedback.

Bodelwyddan Castle is situated in a great location for people like yourselves who enjoy getting up and out there.

We are surrounded by the Beautiful Welsh countryside and only 1 hours drive from the Famous Snowdonia Mountain range.

Kind regards Claire Fletcher GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodelwyddan
Pier Hotel Rhyl
Ruthin Castle Hotel
Oriel Country Hotel & Spa
Oriel Country Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in St. Asaph

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!