Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bodelwyddan
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I have just come back from a local coach trip from Aylesbury to the Castle. I have been to other Warners destinations, but this was the best of the lot. The accommodation was good, the food was excellent, the Chefs were always willing to have a chat,and the entertainment was first class.
A special thank you to our waitress Cara, who was very professional, polite, and had a great sense of humour.
Will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: The rooms are scattered about all over the Castle, however we had a room opposite the ballroom, but...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GEOFF T
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

WOW what a lovely review. I am so pleased to see that you had such a great time and rate Bodelwyddan as the best.

Come back and see us at anytime

Kind Regards Claire Fletcher GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

998 - 1,004 of 1,532 reviews

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Dear Warners
Over the years we have stayed at several of your Hotels and generally enjoyed our break but unfortunately have had to mention a few problems with the rooms to reception that in my opinion should have been spotted by the cleaner. I don’t enjoy sending this type of email but I am aware that you like to receive feedback.
I get many emails and various mail shots from Warner’s concerning your special offers and I have been looking at Bodelwyddan Castle in Wales for our next visit, but my sister got in first and invited us to join them for a weekend break to celebrate her partner’s birthday so this booking was in her name. The pictures we have seen of the castle in your advertising gave us the impressions that the venue was quite large compared to some of your other properties.
On arrival (Friday 23rd May 2014) we were greeted by your concierge team and directed to the car park and on trying to find a place to park soon confirmed a few entries on review sites (not enough parking spaces for the hotel guests). There were cars parked on grass verges, end of isle’s where spaces did not exist and also the muddy closed rear entrance. This is not really satisfactory considering we all hope our expensive cars will not get damaged and will be safe whilst on your property. The concierge and check in staff were very polite and friendly but what a small reception area which soon got very crowded and people getting confused where to go.

When staying at previous hotels the receptionist has offered a charge card facility so as not to carry any cash or cards around with us whilst on site which is a brilliant idea but as this was not offered this time we just guessed it was not in use any more.
After locating our room and left our luggage we proceeded to explore the site to locate what was here and where it was. The restaurant was soon found and we were shown where our table was. On previous visits to other hotels we were asked if we would like to select wine for our evening meals and offered to taste prior to purchase and pre-order, I guess this service has also been removed. The tables did seem a bit tight together and again this was confirmed later when waiters or we were trying to maneuver to our seat with loaded plates. Some of the poor wine waiters seemed confused most of the time, having been asked if we would like to order wine, choose and then wait a long time for the bottles to arrive. I appreciate there are a lot of people to serve at once but that is not our problem when we would like to start drinking wine with our starter. Also on our second evening after ordering a repeat (Malbec) was told there was no more stock, I can’t believe a company of your size can allow your wine cellar to run dry. Also what experienced wine waiter in a quality establishment just puts the bottle on the table, without opening it or offering a sample taste? I personally on this occasion thought the standard of food was good considering the large numbers your chefs have to cook for and also found your staff friendly and polite, although the serving area extremely cramped whilst doubling up as the entrance as people made their way to and from the main seating areas.

First impression on entering our room (508) it was of a good size, tidy and with a large shower room. Closer inspection revealed that the carpet was actually filthy with a large buildup of thick fluff around the edges. The extractor fan in the shower room was reported to the reception as not working but no one attended to that. I had a look myself and stand corrected; the extractor was trying to work but because the grill was blocked with fluff could not operate as it should. On my last morning I wondered why the shower door did not run smoothly. This is being caused by the top runners gradually falling apart. I noticed a card left in the room signed by the cleaner that stated the room was cleaned to the highest standard; she obviously has very low standards if her own work is not self-checked. I must complement you on your beds and pillows. Each time we have stayed at Warners I can honestly say that the beds are extremely comfortable and the pillows are fantastic. What make are they because I must get some for home?

After booking in, went for a snack and coffee where we noticed the spar. We entered the spar area and enquired about the facilities and opening times, we then left saying that we would return to make a booking. On returning Saturday morning to make a reservation was told, sorry fully booked for the weekend, what kind of service is this? Why did the young lady not advise us to book a reservation whilst enquiring on Friday afternoon?

The late lounge also has its own problems. Seating, why are we expected to sit so close to the dance floor on each side where the show cannot be enjoyed. There is just not enough space for all of your guests to sit at a comfortable distance to enjoy the show unless a jumper is placed on the chairs to reserve a seat from 6.30pm. On this occasion we missed the shows because after enjoying our meal and entering the late lounge nothing was available apart from the ones right by the stage.

Being in the building and maintenance trade myself I was also appalled at the lack of maintenance in the grounds. Whilst staying this weekend it rained quite a few times and the sound of water pouring from blocked gutters or downpipes was unpleasant. You can tell it has been ignored for a long time due to the staining on the walls. Also gully’s and drains were blocked causing large puddles to form for guests to walk through. I commend the hotel for providing umbrellas for the guests to use but what about clearing the blocked drains so we can keep our feet dry. In particular leaving our accommodation block we had to encounter a large puddle which had formed whilst crossing to the main building. Surely the large number of plants and small trees left to grow out of the mortar joints in the walls of the buildings would be far better suited to the garden area. Although our room and those of the rest of our group were in good decorative order the rest of the hotel site is looking very shabby.

It rather appears to us that the venue all being a nice place and well positioned for day trips to visit North Wales is far too small to cater for the number of guests that Warners are cramming in. I heard whilst on site that more accommodation blocks are planned to be built, if this is the case unless the whole public area is more than doubled in size you won’t ever see us again.

Yours disappointed

Room Tip: If you require a specific type or position of room ring Warners team, don't just book on the int...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Roger A

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

Firstly, I can understand your frustrations with the number of issues that you encountered during your stay, and for this I apologise.

As you can see from the many other reviews on Trip advisor, we have many guests who enjoy their times with us and I apologise if this is not to your taste.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had a brilliant few days here whilst touring round North Wales. Our room was lovely-so big! with lovely countryside views from window. The grounds were lovely to walk round especially at this time of year. Brilliant entertainments team, they work so hard. Really enjoyed our holiday here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

It is so pleasing to read that with everything that we have to offer you still found time to enjoy our beautiful grounds. We only have a small team of 4 grounds men who work 7 days a week to keep them as beautiful as they are.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My sister and a friend booked this hotel for my 50th Birthday treat. It was a total adventure of pure fun and laughter from start to finish, that i truly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to experience and enjoy such a beautiful place. The live entertainment was spectacular and the staff were genuinely helpful. I must admit to have loved every minute of it and so will you.

Have fun and enjoy being looked after, you truly deserve it.

Room Tip: lovely rooms. great library/lounge area to sit in and relax. Great wi-fi access. Food is excellent
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we helped to make your 50th birthday celebrations a memorable time. Thank you for your lovely comments with regards to our team.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our second visit to the castle and it was better this time round. Great location close to the snowdonia national park, On Saturday we had a visit to bodnant gardens part of the national trust. Sunday we visited betws-y-coed and a drive through the snowdonia country side.The entertainment was excellent and on Saturday it was the American Drifters they were fantastic. There was a great choice of food for breakfast and the evening menu was very good. We had a standard room which we thought was very good plenty of space nice big king size bed and views over the country side. Apart from the weather we had a very good weekend. Thank you Warners.

Room Tip: We had a standard room which was a very good size and good views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

How nice to see that your 2nd visit was even better than your 1st!!

I can assure you that it just keeps getting better and that is all down to you!

The feedback we receive from our guests helps us to continue to improve everything that we have to offer.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Staff really friendly. The hotel is in a beautiful setting with plenty of things to do and is close to places to visit. The staff are very helpful and have plenty of suggestions of how to fill your time. The only criticism (and it is very small) is that it is limited for space to just sit and chill so when I just wanted to sit and read I went back to my room which, though just a standard room was very comfortable and I did have a pleasant view so it was no hardship. Definitely a place we will visit again as they make you feel welcome and it is relaxing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

We are very lucky indeed with the beautiful surroundings of the hotel, and I am happy to see that you had time to enjoy them.

With regards to your comments with the lack of lounge area, come back and see us next year once we have had our new and exciting development and I promise you will be amazed.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at Bodelwyddan Castle last week with my parents and once again had a brilliant time.
My Father is in a wheelchair but this does not in anyway stop my Mum and Dad enjoying most of the activities and entertainment here. The food is awesome and the staff are just fantastic - nothing is too much trouble.

The only disappointment for my parents is the 'indoor bowling' is not going to continue which they have really enjoyed over the years, although my father was not able to participate, he enjoyed watching my Mum play and chatting to the staff.

Keep up the good work Bodelwyddan and if you are thinking about booking don't hesitate you will not be disappointed.....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BeeandMark

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

It is really pleasing to read that you had such a great time with us. We apologise that you are unhappy with the news regarding the Bowls Hall, however, when the development is finished I am sure you will be pleased with the result.

Kind Regards Claire Fletcher GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodelwyddan
Premier Inn Rhuddlan
Talardy Hotel
#1 of 2 in St. Asaph
13 mi away
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!