“Superb long weekend break!”

Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bodelwyddan
Shipston-on-Stour, United Kingdom
“Superb long weekend break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We've just come back today from this lovely hotel and wish we were still there! The staff are super-friendly, our room was lovely and quiet, immaculately clean and beautifully maintained by our maid, whose name, we're ashamed to say, we don't know. We paid a bit more to go for a Royale Room (605) and it was worth it. Lovely view across the grounds, very spacious, super comfortable. Couldn't fault it at all.

The food was good and we had plenty of it. Good service and the buffet worked espcially well. This is only our second Warners break but it certainly won't be our last. The entertainment was also good, if a tiny bit dated, but that's what Warners is all about?

The location is also good, as we wanted to walk in Snowdonia and found we could get there very easily in well under an hour. The trip along the A55 was great fun. Go there, you won't be disappointed.

One point: Just read another review which wasn't too complimentary about one of the receptionists and, reluctantly, if it's the same person with whom we had a passing encounter, we'd have to agree. Having said this, we had a very good experience from one of her colleagues, a more 'experienced' lady we would say who sorted out a tiny request for us, much more quickly than expected and without any fuss.

And as a final comment....if you're going out for the day, order a packed lunch from Mulberrys! Fantastic value, made fresh for you on the day and to your own requirement. Fab.

Room Tip: We had Royale Room 605. Brilliant. That end of the hotel is very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

It is really rewarding for us to read such complimentary reviews of our hotel and what we have to offer. Thank you kindly and I will ensure that I will pass this onto all of the team.

Kind Regards Claire Fletcher GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Royston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived around 6.45pm on 28th May, it was pouring with rain and as we were not familiar with this hotel we parked outside the reception office. The receptionist called Chelsie was incredibly rude. She greeted us by repeatedly saying "you can't park there, you'll have to move your car". There was none of the familiar "welcome to Warner's" greeting. There was no offer of helping with our luggage! Unfortunately this started our break badly. Everything else was up to the usual great Warner standard but unfortunately the tone was set by the rude receptionist, it is unlikely that we will return to Bodelwyddan. We had stayed at Alveston Hall for 2 nights before moving to Bodelwyddan and have booked a midweek break there in August because we had such a good experience there, shame the same could not be said for Bodelwyddan.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

I apologise that your holiday did not get off to a great start. After reading your comments regarding the reception team, this is something I will have to look into as it is something I have never encountered before as the team are such a great bunch!

I am happy to read however that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

What can i say that probably hasn't already been said about a Warner's holiday. Took my elderly parents for a four night stay to the castle - and can't really complain about anything. Food was excellent (as usual), rooms were clean and maintained to a high standard, the grounds are well worth a wander around and the entertainment was top class. Special mention has to go to the girls and guys of the entertainment team - have been to a few Warner's places before - but this lot were by far the best performers and the most friendly and approachable of them all. Would definitely recommend..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank thermy123
Hello
aking the time to leave us with your feedback.

What a pleasure it is to read that you had such a wonderful time with us and enjoyed your holiday in particular the Entertainments team.

Thank you so much for the reccomendation

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I have just come back from a local coach trip from Aylesbury to the Castle. I have been to other Warners destinations, but this was the best of the lot. The accommodation was good, the food was excellent, the Chefs were always willing to have a chat,and the entertainment was first class.
A special thank you to our waitress Cara, who was very professional, polite, and had a great sense of humour.
Will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: The rooms are scattered about all over the Castle, however we had a room opposite the ballroom, but...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GEOFF T

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

WOW what a lovely review. I am so pleased to see that you had such a great time and rate Bodelwyddan as the best.

Come back and see us at anytime

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Dear Warners
Over the years we have stayed at several of your Hotels and generally enjoyed our break but unfortunately have had to mention a few problems with the rooms to reception that in my opinion should have been spotted by the cleaner. I don’t enjoy sending this type of email but I am aware that you like to receive feedback.
I get many emails and various mail shots from Warner’s concerning your special offers and I have been looking at Bodelwyddan Castle in Wales for our next visit, but my sister got in first and invited us to join them for a weekend break to celebrate her partner’s birthday so this booking was in her name. The pictures we have seen of the castle in your advertising gave us the impressions that the venue was quite large compared to some of your other properties.
On arrival (Friday 23rd May 2014) we were greeted by your concierge team and directed to the car park and on trying to find a place to park soon confirmed a few entries on review sites (not enough parking spaces for the hotel guests). There were cars parked on grass verges, end of isle’s where spaces did not exist and also the muddy closed rear entrance. This is not really satisfactory considering we all hope our expensive cars will not get damaged and will be safe whilst on your property. The concierge and check in staff were very polite and friendly but what a small reception area which soon got very crowded and people getting confused where to go.

When staying at previous hotels the receptionist has offered a charge card facility so as not to carry any cash or cards around with us whilst on site which is a brilliant idea but as this was not offered this time we just guessed it was not in use any more.
After locating our room and left our luggage we proceeded to explore the site to locate what was here and where it was. The restaurant was soon found and we were shown where our table was. On previous visits to other hotels we were asked if we would like to select wine for our evening meals and offered to taste prior to purchase and pre-order, I guess this service has also been removed. The tables did seem a bit tight together and again this was confirmed later when waiters or we were trying to maneuver to our seat with loaded plates. Some of the poor wine waiters seemed confused most of the time, having been asked if we would like to order wine, choose and then wait a long time for the bottles to arrive. I appreciate there are a lot of people to serve at once but that is not our problem when we would like to start drinking wine with our starter. Also on our second evening after ordering a repeat (Malbec) was told there was no more stock, I can’t believe a company of your size can allow your wine cellar to run dry. Also what experienced wine waiter in a quality establishment just puts the bottle on the table, without opening it or offering a sample taste? I personally on this occasion thought the standard of food was good considering the large numbers your chefs have to cook for and also found your staff friendly and polite, although the serving area extremely cramped whilst doubling up as the entrance as people made their way to and from the main seating areas.

First impression on entering our room (508) it was of a good size, tidy and with a large shower room. Closer inspection revealed that the carpet was actually filthy with a large buildup of thick fluff around the edges. The extractor fan in the shower room was reported to the reception as not working but no one attended to that. I had a look myself and stand corrected; the extractor was trying to work but because the grill was blocked with fluff could not operate as it should. On my last morning I wondered why the shower door did not run smoothly. This is being caused by the top runners gradually falling apart. I noticed a card left in the room signed by the cleaner that stated the room was cleaned to the highest standard; she obviously has very low standards if her own work is not self-checked. I must complement you on your beds and pillows. Each time we have stayed at Warners I can honestly say that the beds are extremely comfortable and the pillows are fantastic. What make are they because I must get some for home?

After booking in, went for a snack and coffee where we noticed the spar. We entered the spar area and enquired about the facilities and opening times, we then left saying that we would return to make a booking. On returning Saturday morning to make a reservation was told, sorry fully booked for the weekend, what kind of service is this? Why did the young lady not advise us to book a reservation whilst enquiring on Friday afternoon?

The late lounge also has its own problems. Seating, why are we expected to sit so close to the dance floor on each side where the show cannot be enjoyed. There is just not enough space for all of your guests to sit at a comfortable distance to enjoy the show unless a jumper is placed on the chairs to reserve a seat from 6.30pm. On this occasion we missed the shows because after enjoying our meal and entering the late lounge nothing was available apart from the ones right by the stage.

Being in the building and maintenance trade myself I was also appalled at the lack of maintenance in the grounds. Whilst staying this weekend it rained quite a few times and the sound of water pouring from blocked gutters or downpipes was unpleasant. You can tell it has been ignored for a long time due to the staining on the walls. Also gully’s and drains were blocked causing large puddles to form for guests to walk through. I commend the hotel for providing umbrellas for the guests to use but what about clearing the blocked drains so we can keep our feet dry. In particular leaving our accommodation block we had to encounter a large puddle which had formed whilst crossing to the main building. Surely the large number of plants and small trees left to grow out of the mortar joints in the walls of the buildings would be far better suited to the garden area. Although our room and those of the rest of our group were in good decorative order the rest of the hotel site is looking very shabby.

It rather appears to us that the venue all being a nice place and well positioned for day trips to visit North Wales is far too small to cater for the number of guests that Warners are cramming in. I heard whilst on site that more accommodation blocks are planned to be built, if this is the case unless the whole public area is more than doubled in size you won’t ever see us again.

Yours disappointed

Room Tip: If you require a specific type or position of room ring Warners team, don't just book on the int...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Roger A

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

Firstly, I can understand your frustrations with the number of issues that you encountered during your stay, and for this I apologise.

As you can see from the many other reviews on Trip advisor, we have many guests who enjoy their times with us and I apologise if this is not to your taste.

Gloucester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had a brilliant few days here whilst touring round North Wales. Our room was lovely-so big! with lovely countryside views from window. The grounds were lovely to walk round especially at this time of year. Brilliant entertainments team, they work so hard. Really enjoyed our holiday here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

It is so pleasing to read that with everything that we have to offer you still found time to enjoy our beautiful grounds. We only have a small team of 4 grounds men who work 7 days a week to keep them as beautiful as they are.

Kind Regards Claire Fletcher
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My sister and a friend booked this hotel for my 50th Birthday treat. It was a total adventure of pure fun and laughter from start to finish, that i truly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to experience and enjoy such a beautiful place. The live entertainment was spectacular and the staff were genuinely helpful. I must admit to have loved every minute of it and so will you.

Have fun and enjoy being looked after, you truly deserve it.

Room Tip: lovely rooms. great library/lounge area to sit in and relax. Great wi-fi access. Food is excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we helped to make your 50th birthday celebrations a memorable time. Thank you for your lovely comments with regards to our team.

Kind Regards Claire Fletcher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodelwyddan
Premier Inn Rhuddlan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abergele
The Beaches Hotel
The Beaches Hotel
#2 of 3 in Prestatyn

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!