“A lovely relaxing break” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plaindealings Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fishguard
Plaindealings Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 23 Fishguard B&B and Inns
Barmouth, United Kingdom
“A lovely relaxing break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

A warm welcome awaits you at Plaindealings, Jackie is lovely, very friendly and welcoming. Tea and biscuits on the terrace overlooking the superb view of the harbour was a lovely start to our short stay.. The location is wonderful, at the end of a lane in a secluded location. Very quiet and tranquil where the only sounds you hear are the glorious sounds of birdsong. Had a great nights' sleep and awoke to birdsong ~ just beautiful. Our room was very large with comfy seating - great for reading or simply relaxing! Excellent evening meals, make sure you treat yourself to at least one of them.. Should we be in the area again, we will most definitely return to Jackie at Plaindealings.. we had the most wonderful couple of days and it was over all too soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolemmmett

Solo
Business
Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

We had a most enjoyable break at Plain Dealings.
Excellent service in calm, quiet surroundings.
We enjoyed the good weather and the wonderful scenery in this part of Pembrokeshire.
We will certainly make many more visits to Plain Dealings.

4 Thank bah069
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

I have been a dedicated explorer of Pembrokeshire for a number of years and to be honest Plaindealings keeps bringing me back time and time again. I have stayed here numerous times and after my most recent visit, which was delightful, I thought I'd offer my thoughts about why I like it so much. I've stayed in many other places but for me they don't get better than Plaindealings.

Firstly, I think the setting is second to none. Set at the end of a leafy lane, its a peaceful 5 min walk from the town or quicker by car. There is plenty of parking and as soon as you arrive you are offered tea and biscuits, which I always (weather permitting) take in the front garden to admire the panoramic view of the old town and harbour, it's beautiful. The gardens are always immaculate and they are the perfect place to take a glass of wine at the end of the day watch the lights of the old town illuminate the harbour as night falls. I could go on about the view, but I have more to tell!

The rooms always seem great value to me, they are very large with plenty of seating and storage and all the mod cons you would expect from a top end B&B. The bathrooms again are roomy with more than enough space and always very clean. Bed are very comfortable and clean and I get the feeling that the owners don't cut corners. Everything seems sturdy and well made and I always feel very well catered for.

Then of course there's the food! I always enjoy the breakfast and I find the landlady very helpful and accommodating its a real home-from-home. I like the fact you can get evening meal, nothing I like more than to return to the B&B after a heavy day exploring knowing that a hearty meal awaits. I find it all reasonably priced and very well cooked and the treacle tart is the best I have tasted!!! There is a large veggie garden on site which, I believe, is the source of all the veg used for the meals, a nice touch which adds to the feeling this is a wholesome quality break.

I have always found the landlady to be excellent and attentive. She is really helpful and knowledgeable about the local area and often tells you about things that you may not always discover, e.g. the farmer's market, etc.. She is also very easy going when I have had to catch the ferry to Ireland or return at some ungodly hour. She has always been there to welcome me after some late crossings, just what you need after a long trip.

In summary if you want a top end B&B which represents great value in a stunning setting and excellent views, then you must try Plaindealings. I'm a big fan of Pembrokeshire and head here any chance I get. However, after trying many places to stay I'm now at the point where I don't even bother looking around as I know I'll end up at Plaindealings anyway, it's simply excellent!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank walkwithdave
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

My last visit was my fifth to Plaindealings, and I'll definitely be going back again! The rooms have excellent facilities and the home made food is wonderful. Most of the veg is grown in the gardens and you can really taste the difference, lovely. A very warm and friendly welcome, and comfortable stay. Very relaxing and quiet surroundings. I felt like I was staying with old friends or family members even - but with better food!! :)
The land lady can't do enough for you, which is why I found one review a bit odd - In reply to the grumpy chap with the problem with the knife - there is a bell in reception to ring if you want anything at all - I've come down in the evening asking for a lemon and knife to add to drinks and everything I wanted was got for me quickly and with a smile. They can't seem to do enough for you. I can't imagine the land lady EVER shouting at anyone! And I really doubt she thought you were stealing!! She's a lovely lady with a great sense of humour, maybe something you lack perhaps!?
I've stayed in 3 different rooms there now, there's also a down stairs room that they very kindly made up for me at short notice once when I phoned up a week before my stay (was going to cancel due to ankle injury - wouldn't make it up the stairs to the room) which was as well furnished and had as good facilities as the upstairs rooms - although the view of the harbour isn't quite as good as from upstairs.
There's lots of interesting nature walks around Plaindealings, Fishguard town is quiet but picturesque - a great place to go if like me, you enjoy wildlife and nature. A great place to walk around with your camera!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SarahC1983
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

We stayed at Plaindealings late in May this year. We had a very warm welcome with drinks offered even before we had put down our bags. The location is extremely private with such wonderful views of the harbour. Sitting on the patio gave us the opportunity to savour this view. The accommodation was first class with spacious rooms with all amenities. Home cooked meals were on the menu with a good choice and Mrs Wren certainly knows how to get the taste buds working. It was a very enjoyable break and we would highly recommend Plaindealings.

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank MazzyWarwickshire
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

Almost everything about our 3 night stay was very good or excellent, so let’s start with all the positives.

This B&B offers high quality accommodation that is just under ten minutes’ walk (or a few minutes by car) from the centre of Fishguard but which stands on its own at the end of a quiet lane, offering a tranquil setting with a lovely view down a valley to the old harbour and the sea beyond.

Enquiries may be made by phone (not email) but formal reservations must be sent by post. The landlady returns a location diagram and her evening meal menus, which looked nice although we didn’t try them. Payment is by cash only, unless sending a cheque a week in advance.

There is a private parking space for every guest, and a pretty little garden in front of the property.

The landlady helped us to our room and offered a hot drink and biscuits on arrival.
Our room was large and incorporated a sitting area with a sofa, 2 armchairs and large screen TV. The room had everything you might want – plenty of storage space (drawers and hangers), hair dryer, some books, magazines, games and DVDs and so on. A fridge contained a selection of reasonably priced soft drinks, and the hot drinks tray included both regular and decaffeinated versions of tea and coffee.

Two single beds were made up as a very comfortable double, where we slept very well, although the curtains needed to be a little larger to block all the light. There were lovely views from the three gable windows.

Brighter lights for reading in bed would have been good but this is a common problem.
Our separate private bathroom was fine, with very hot water at all times, a bath and a strong shower, as well as a bidet. We did think that the bath towels (one for each of us) were on the small side for a property of this standard.

Our request to have breakfast on our first day at 7:30 rather than the standard time of 8AM was readily accepted. Breakfast was a good selection of cereals, croissants, home-made plain yogurt and jams and the usual cooked breakfast available, with freshly brewed regular or decaff coffee or tea. However, there was no fresh fruit. We had ordered and received packed lunches which were nice.

With so much positive to say, what could be wrong? Well, the landlady lost her temper with me.

After an excellent walk along the coast path, we returned back in the afternoon. I needed to borrow a knife to slice a lemon for our favourite drink of lemon tea. The house seemed quiet, so rather than ring the doorbell and disturb the possibly resting landlady, I thought I would borrow one from the dining room, use it, wash and return.

At breakfast, there had only been little tables and kitchen chairs, giving no indication that the room had any other purpose. However, as I tentatively opened the door, I saw that the landlady and her husband were sitting in two armchairs which had been moved in. She rushed out to where I stood in the hall.

I apologised profusely for disturbing them and explained I had been looking to borrow a knife for the lemon (which was in in my hand). “So you thought you’d just help yourself” she said angrily, storming off. She returned with the knife and plate which were pushed at me ungracefully. As she went back into the dining room, she slammed the door really hard, making a loud bang.

The episode was so unexpected that I was quite taken aback. Perhaps I shouldn’t have entered the guests’ dining room without permission? But as the room was also used for guests’ evening meals, there was no reason to treat me as a criminal. The episode was not mentioned during the rest of our stay, but I felt uncomfortable and certainly not treated as a guest should be.

The balance between business and attachment to a family home can be difficult in a privately owned guest house, and I now understand that the property has been in the husband’s family for generations. However, the landlady’s behaviour was unacceptable and anyone considering staying at Plaindealings should be aware that they could experience something similar.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank selimap
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

The B&B is located at the end of Tower Hill about a half mile from town and has a great view of the Lower Town and the harbor. The room was very large and had a comfortable sitting area with a large flat screen TV. The breakfast was very good and freshly cooked. The host was very nice but did not offer a lot of conversation or help. The experience was very good but not excellent.

2 Thank SandCHouston