“Nice stay”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fishguard
Maldegem, Belgium
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Our host was very charming and helpfull, also was the little jack-russell. Our dogs were welcome, the bathroom and breakfast were fantastic. The room was clean and the beds were good. The perfect place to stay before taking the ferry to Ireland.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you for your review! Hope you had an enjoyable holiday in Ireland!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My better half and I stayed for two nights, checking in sat 28th July. We decided on a trip to fishgaurd, our first holiday together, at 10am on saturday , and it seemed that the only vacancy left in fishgaurd was at the cartref. We then proceeded to miss our train, and so arrived at around 7pm, anxious and travel weary and (having booked last minute) not really knowing what to expect.
Within a minute of arriving, I new we had made a good choice. The owner Kristiina was very welcoming and, once we were booked in, it took her all of 5mins to give us a concise overview of everything fishgaurd, from the best coastal walks, to the best restaurants.
The hotel itself felt more like a home than a hotel, the lighting is easy to the eye and the decor which included some wonderful welsh dressers almost gave me the impression I was walking into my late nains (grandmothers) house. Apart from reception desk being a mass of paperwork (I found this quite charming) the hotel was spotless. The beds are comfortable and the linen was good quality, and not too heavy, just right for the slightly humid July nights.
I was particularly interested in the many and varied paintings/pictures adorning the walls around the hotel, whilst some were typically of the surrounding coast it seems that many are more personal to the owner, I would recommend asking Kristiina to walk you through them, something I regret not taking the time to do.
Other than noting the perfect central location of the hotel, which is less than a minutes walk from the very useful coastal bus stops, and the ample and delicious breakfast featuring locally sourced produce, the only thing left to mention is the venerable Mr Toby, the owners long haired Jack Russell, a charming young man who will note your arrival with a quick yap then move in stealthily for a well deserved pat on the back.
All in all a wonderful stay, we are both looking forward to next time. Many thanks from Richard and Rose x

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richard l
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for your kind words! I am very happy that you had a good break!
Cashel, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I booked The Cartref because it sounded like a place my grandmother would run for tourists traveling by car AND because of articulate Trip Advisor comments. I figured both Kristina the owner and Toby her dog would delight our two young kids. I was right.

We traveled with my in-laws and initially my mother-in-law was very suspicious because the little hotel is more of a B&B to her. Plus, she didn't like the cramped car parking area out back. However, all doubts were erased when Kristina opened her licensed bar and let us bring in a takeaway meal from down the street.

Cartref is exactly what I expected--a friendly place to park our car and rest ourselves before hitting the Fishguard ferry. Cartref delivered an unexpected surprise in that Kristina knows the town and can correctly surmise what her guests might enjoy. So she recommended the library to see the tapestry and that delighted our five year old. And she introduced Toby her dog to our two year old and he felt the little terrier was like a perfect stuffed animal.

Cartref is centrally located to many things people may want. Within a 10 minute walk, we found an art gallery, several nice restaurants, two pubs, a convenience store and a farmer's market. It seemed like Kristina knew everything about everything in each of those places.

The bedrooms are continental and reminded me of Nordic simplicity. We had everything we needed--including an unexpected access to a small garden outside of Room 4 where we stayed.

Like every other commentator I've read, I enjoyed Kristina's breakfast. She was flexible enough to create portions that pleased our children. With such pleasant hospitality, we'll return with a smile.

Room Tip: Get Room 4 or another at the back of the hotel if street noise bothers you.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank topgold
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you!!!
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

The Cartref is owned by Kristina from Finland and Toby the Jack Russell terrier who barks and whines to be let out of his quarters to greet guests with flattering enthusiasm.

I made the booking in March and phoned two weeks before our trip in July just to make sure we were expected. A wise move because the delightful Kristina had mislaid it (I wasn’t surprised when I saw the wild collection of paperwork on the reception desk) but fortunately all was well and she had the space.

The bedrooms are simply decorated but you have everything you need and the linen is of good quality. And thanks heavens for someone who has the wit not to leave a heavy winter duvet on throughout the year as most B & Bs seem to do these days. It was hot when we were there so the light covers were very welcome. The downside is that the hotel is right on the narrowest part of the High Street so, if you are a light sleeper, then you may find the noise of traffic a bit overwhelming. However, you’ll find earplugs in the drawers, if you can’t sleep.

Breakfast was excellent and plentiful. Kristina doesn’t do evening meals and there is a pretty limited choice in Fishguard but her recommendation of the nearby Arts Centre for dinner was spot on.

We came by bike and Kristina gave us a lockable garage to store our cycles in which was extremely useful. If you come by car, then be aware that there are only two small parking spaces behind the hotel. A French family arrived at the same time as us and the wife struggled to reverse their people carrier in a tight manoeuvre from the very narrow side street and up onto the slope in front of the garages. Eventually she gave up and handed the responsibility over to her husband. But there are other places to park not far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you want to avoid the traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sports-Queen
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
'All's Well that Ends Well'! Thank you for coming and writing your review! By the way, I will cook as required! On the other hand, I am pleased to recommend restaurants that I know are good - and there are a few in town and several if you drive a bit outside town. Only Sunday night, and to some extent Monday night, can be a problem...
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Excellent value for money. Its basic, but its good points: excellent price & location in the beautiful town of Fishgaurd. Has garages, so my motorbike was parked safely away for the night. Landlady Kristina is really friendly, and breakfast was the best I've ever had. Right opposite a pub and really good Indian restaurant, will definitely use it again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Will N
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
It was a pleasure having you stay and thank you for writing the review!
Tunbridge Wells
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Mature couple walking part of the P Way. One of 9 B and B's/hotels over 11 days. One night stay. Cooked breakfast very good but cereals and extras lacked imagination. Amazing place! Kristina seems to do everything with no help. But her standards are high and she is very attentive.

Room Tip: Try and get ground or first floor room. No lift and two heavy cases to lug up to top floor!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blakeway
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for writing a review! During the past year I have renovated six bathrooms, ladies' downstairs, and four bedrooms! The double bed in your room has a new modern headboard. The wardrobe is also new. Yes, the quirky sink unit in the room could be more modern and I'll have a think about that. In the public areas I do have a collection of modern and 19th century pictures and furniture that tell the story of my family and my stay in Fishguard. And just this morning I have ordered new tables for the dining room! The curtains will be changed in due course. It is a pity you didn't taste my fruit and nut no-added- sugar muesli with yogurt and fresh fruit on the top! And please do not imply that you carried your cases upstairs! As a two star hotel I provide the service of carrying the customers' bags whatever weight. I hope to see you in a couple of years time!
Allover
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Excellent location, only a minute walk to the square and handy for the lower town too. Locked garage space for approx 7 motorbikes, which I wasn't expecting. Bedroom at the back of the hotel are nice and quiet, clean and comfy; can't comment on those that overlook the high street. Kristiina is very friendly and accommodating. She works on her own so don't be offended if you are asked to deconflict your breakfast time from the other guests. The wee dog is a little excitable but not a problem. Lots of character at this nice b&b. Price is on par with other b&bs in Fisguard, which is a little pricey compared with a medium sized city. Will definitely stay again when next in Fishguard.

Room Tip: Room 4 at the back so no possibility of street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Thank you for your comments! The spring is totally here when the bikers arrive! Enjoy your travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fishguard
Fishguard Bay Hotel
Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant
Slebech Park
Slebech Park
#3 of 7 in Haverfordwest

Been to Cartref Hotel? Share your experiences!