“grand”
Review of Cartref Hotel

Cartref Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Fishguard
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We were arriving in fishguard after midnight so had to find somewhere to stay convenient to the ferry and with available accomodation. Most places were full so ended up in the Cartref. It was old fashioned to say the least and quirky. The fire escape was throught our room!! It was untidy and had a very noisy dog. HOWEVER
The room was warm the bed was clean the bathroom was satisfactory and the breakfast well cooked and plentiful though I was reprimanded for not eating my tomatoes.
For a quick stay convenient to the boat it was fine--but please--don't let a dog run through the dining room

Room Tip: our room was fine but the owner offered earplugs which was ominous
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for your frank review! I have taken your points on board. Just a few notes! The position of the fire escapes are determined by the fire officers, and in the old properties the solutions are always very individual. The earplugs are in the rooms as a courtesy - but hardly used. The Hotel is being gradually renovated - six bathrooms and four bedrooms were done last year and this year will see other work done. You are most welcome to visit again should you so choose!

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I decided to take a last minute break before the winter and have always loved walking the Pembrokeshire coast path. Needless to say, at such a last minute, accommodation in the area was limited. I came across the Cartref on Laterooms.com and the location and price appeared to be just right so I made the booking. On arrival I was greeted by Kristina and her little, friendly jack russell dog, Toby. I was immediately struck by the "old world" charm of the hotel, so much better than the clinical, glass and plastic facade of hotels costing three times as much a night. I have spent a good deal of my working life living out of a suitcase all over the UK and Europe so I felt at home immediately.
The room was excellent, clean with a separate toilet and shower cubicle, just what I needed! Full english breakfast was very good with a few european "goodies" thrown in. The general decor of the hotel was somewhat austere but, for me, this just added to the charm of the place. Many thanks Krisitna for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you for coming to stay! I admired your resilience on the Path! I am now in the gradual process of renovating the Hotel, and after most of the bathrooms, some rooms and the new dining tables I am now keenly planning the next stage. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is a lovely hotel. Everything is clean and tidy, the location is fantastic for visiting this part of Wales. The host (Kristina) made us feel right at home. We came with a baby and were accommodated with a crib and there was lots of space to move around in our room. Locals visit the hotel and are eager to chat. If you chat one or two of them up - they might invite you for an interesting evening out in one of the country pubs. You might not understand half of what they say, but it is loads of fun! The town of Fishguard is lovely and relaxing after the noise and high energy level of London. It is a short drive to St. David's and the countryside is beautiful and full of history to explore. I cannot say enough about the hospitality and "gemutlichkeit". Great corner of the country to visit.

Room Tip: I think the room in the separate section are roomier.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Thank you for writing a review! I enjoyed having you to stay!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Whilst arranging a UK tour for ourselves and family from Australia, we noticed the favourable comments posted for the Cartref and booked 2 rooms for two nights at £75/room/night (B&B). Having toured much of Scotland, South England, Cornwall & S Wales, staying in similar priced accommodation (all good to excellent) over the last two months, we were looking forward to our stay. On arrival, we had a shock. The bell was answered by a 'barefoot' lady, who showed us to the nearby 'reception', which was an absolute mess with papers and brochures piled everywhere, there was also a pervading unpleasant smell. With trepidation, we had a look at the rest of the 'Hotel' and our allocated rooms, all of which was uninviting and well worn. The website photo's are very misleading and there is no bar. After discussing the above with the lady, we left the Hotel and contacted the Booking Company, who refunded £127 of our £150 deposit immediately. we subsequently found excellent accommodation further up the Welsh coast. In essence, I we would not recommend this Hotel at any price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GlynneL645
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! Let's just state that the Cartref was not for you and I am glad you found a hotel to your liking and I was trying to help you in finding one. I was still in the middle of doing the rooms when you arrived a couple of hours before your stated arrival time. I would like to correct that we do have a bar. Also, one of the rooms offered to you had a complete makeover during the past year and hardly is 'well worn'. The other has a new modern bathroom and might be simpler in décor, still well cleaned. We do not claim to be but a small family run hotel and I am sorry if you had a different impression from the website.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Our host was very charming and helpfull, also was the little jack-russell. Our dogs were welcome, the bathroom and breakfast were fantastic. The room was clean and the beds were good. The perfect place to stay before taking the ferry to Ireland.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review! Hope you had an enjoyable holiday in Ireland!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

My better half and I stayed for two nights, checking in sat 28th July. We decided on a trip to fishgaurd, our first holiday together, at 10am on saturday , and it seemed that the only vacancy left in fishgaurd was at the cartref. We then proceeded to miss our train, and so arrived at around 7pm, anxious and travel weary and (having booked last minute) not really knowing what to expect.
Within a minute of arriving, I new we had made a good choice. The owner Kristiina was very welcoming and, once we were booked in, it took her all of 5mins to give us a concise overview of everything fishgaurd, from the best coastal walks, to the best restaurants.
The hotel itself felt more like a home than a hotel, the lighting is easy to the eye and the decor which included some wonderful welsh dressers almost gave me the impression I was walking into my late nains (grandmothers) house. Apart from reception desk being a mass of paperwork (I found this quite charming) the hotel was spotless. The beds are comfortable and the linen was good quality, and not too heavy, just right for the slightly humid July nights.
I was particularly interested in the many and varied paintings/pictures adorning the walls around the hotel, whilst some were typically of the surrounding coast it seems that many are more personal to the owner, I would recommend asking Kristiina to walk you through them, something I regret not taking the time to do.
Other than noting the perfect central location of the hotel, which is less than a minutes walk from the very useful coastal bus stops, and the ample and delicious breakfast featuring locally sourced produce, the only thing left to mention is the venerable Mr Toby, the owners long haired Jack Russell, a charming young man who will note your arrival with a quick yap then move in stealthily for a well deserved pat on the back.
All in all a wonderful stay, we are both looking forward to next time. Many thanks from Richard and Rose x

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richard l
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your kind words! I am very happy that you had a good break!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I booked The Cartref because it sounded like a place my grandmother would run for tourists traveling by car AND because of articulate Trip Advisor comments. I figured both Kristina the owner and Toby her dog would delight our two young kids. I was right.

We traveled with my in-laws and initially my mother-in-law was very suspicious because the little hotel is more of a B&B to her. Plus, she didn't like the cramped car parking area out back. However, all doubts were erased when Kristina opened her licensed bar and let us bring in a takeaway meal from down the street.

Cartref is exactly what I expected--a friendly place to park our car and rest ourselves before hitting the Fishguard ferry. Cartref delivered an unexpected surprise in that Kristina knows the town and can correctly surmise what her guests might enjoy. So she recommended the library to see the tapestry and that delighted our five year old. And she introduced Toby her dog to our two year old and he felt the little terrier was like a perfect stuffed animal.

Cartref is centrally located to many things people may want. Within a 10 minute walk, we found an art gallery, several nice restaurants, two pubs, a convenience store and a farmer's market. It seemed like Kristina knew everything about everything in each of those places.

The bedrooms are continental and reminded me of Nordic simplicity. We had everything we needed--including an unexpected access to a small garden outside of Room 4 where we stayed.

Like every other commentator I've read, I enjoyed Kristina's breakfast. She was flexible enough to create portions that pleased our children. With such pleasant hospitality, we'll return with a smile.

Room Tip: Get Room 4 or another at the back of the hotel if street noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank topgold
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fishguard
The Seaview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wolf's Castle
Beggars Reach Hotel
Beggars Reach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burton

Been to Cartref Hotel? Share your experiences!