“Pleasant Stay 24-26 July 2014 - by Richard”
Review of Cartref Hotel

Cartref Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Fishguard
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay 24-26 July 2014 - by Richard”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very good place to stay in the centre of Fishguard. Close to one excellent fish restaurant on Friday and Saturday nights only (the corner café during the day). Also a tiny real ale bar (Fishguard Arms) where there are interesting local characters (farm workers and fishermen) to talk to.
The Finnish host landlady (Christina) was charming and gave me much intelligent info on the local area. Room 13 was first class with a new en-suite and a view over the rooftops to the sea.
Breakfast was excellent having slept like a log, probably due to my walk along the Marine Walk (the Fishguard part of the Pembroke coastal path).

Room Tip: 2nd floor good as above traffic noise from the street (but not a big issue really)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 14Rich
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
I am glad you enjoyed what Fishguard has to offer! It s unique!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Swindon
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Parts of the hotel are a trip back into pseudo Victoriana ie the lounge and entry area and parts are well modernised ie the breakfast room and bathroom. The lobby needs a big tidy up and de-cluttering as there were piles of papers, books and magazines everywhere and gave quite a bad impression on first entry. The room was ok, with a mixture of more modern and old style furniture but was very clean. had a comfy bed and coffee/tea making equipment. However as it faced directly onto the busy main room we had to keep the double glazed windows closed to avoid the traffic noise. Bathroom had been modernised and was very clean but I still don't like carpets in a bathroom! The stairs up to the rooms are narrow with red pattern carpet, chipboard paper and old picture frames so felt a bit like my gran's home going up the floors to our room. Host was very welcoming and breakfast was well cooked and a decent variety with an helpful assistant. Parking can be a challenge as we did not find any close by (parked overnight, as we were away early in the morning, in the nearby supermarket car park) and the hotel is on a main road in the town with yellow lines outside

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the main road so check first if you need a quieter room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
Thank you for writing the review! I am just baffled with the term 'pseudo Victoriana' as some of the furniture is antique, not pseudo antique! Should all old be just discarded? Of course everything comes to personal taste. There are no carpets in the bathrooms but there is a bathroom mat in every bathroom which is a requirement. It can easily be lifted aside. Yes, I admit, paper is my downfall! And, yet, so many interesting things are written on paper, and one hopes, one day, one may be able to read it all! Perhaps I should just close the doors and do that!
But, I have again this summer had so wonderful and interesting customers who bring the world with them! (Some also say my desk reminds them of theirs at home - and cartref means home in Welsh!) We'll see...
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Real old hotel with lots of charm, our finnish host was lovely and very helpful. We had a large bedroom and compact bathroom which we were happy with. The hotel was right in Fishguard, so made for easy walking. Our host recommended a lovely place for dinner-on the corner near the hotel-it is a bakery/café during the day BUT on Friday/Saturdays from 6-9pm it became a fabulous seafood restaurant- unbelievable fresh fish with 'exotic' salad that had every fruit imaginable in it (the fish was hanging off the plate), reasonable prices & looked so good that we had to take a photo of the plates before we tucked in (seemed a shame to spoil the display) - a must if you are in Fishguard on these days. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you!
Cholsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Cartref last night having found it on hotels.com for the good price of £42b&b.
The owner was lovely, very friendly and helpful with suggestions on what to see and where to eat.
My room was room 8 on the top floor- not a problem for me but if you have trouble negotiating steps you may wish to ask for a room lower down. The room was small but was described as a 'basic single' when I booked so I expected it to be and it was perfectly adequate for my short stay, although if you plan on staying a few nights I reckon it would be worth paying slightly more for a larger room.
The bedroom was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed and en suite which has a very good power shower.
One review says the room is dated- I would say it has been refurbished quite recently!
The bed was comfortable only comment I have is that I would prefer a proper duvet rather than the oversheet and blanket which is a little itchy. Extra bedding is available in the wardrobe though.
Breakfast was very good- immaculate presentation and good quality produce which is a nice change from the mass produced cardboard that many hotels dish up!
I would certainly return if ever in Fishguard again (which I think is unlikely! )

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of Fishguard with easy walking to all the shops, the bus stop, and coastal path. I stayed in a single room, which was very clean and comfortable and at just the right price for a single traveler. Breakfast was excellent. The owner was accommodating, friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. She even double checked the train schedule saving me from spending a beautiful Sunday morning sitting at the train station. With her help, I was able to enjoy the beach and explore the nearby town of Newport. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you! I definitely hope you will stay again - and I especially hope that you will come again to Wales to see the things you missed this time!
Wrea Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Definetly dated and rooms have not been invested in. I was only customer on a Sunday night. However the landlady was pleasant and clearly proud of Fishguard(which was pleasant surprise). In a good location for strolling around Fishguard.The breakfast was really good start to the day and so would recommend for a night as good value but would caution any more.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your review! There are a few points I would like to make! You chose the small single. The bathroom is newly modernised,even with heated towel rail. It has all the things the other rooms have with the exception of a desk as there is no room for it. Many customers have found it cosy but I believe you would have found our standard single room more comfortable. During the past two years I have completely modernised seven bathrooms and three have been considerably upgraded. Of the bedrooms some have undergone complete renovation, others have been upgraded other ways. The dining room was completely renovated. It is not fair to generalise on the basis of one room, the smallest and the cheapest! I would have gladly given you a tour of the rooms if you had asked. Other customers that night did not wish to have breakfast. In a small town the number of customers can greatly vary, even during the season. The previous two nights I was fully booked.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed in Fishguard in the off season, staying at the Cartref Hotel. The room was pleasant and clean. Bit of a winging route to the room, up the stairs, but not a big deal. COuld easily walk to the town center from the hotel.

Best part was the friendly owner who served a fantastic b'fast. And her dog, Toby, was delightful.

Only possible problem may be parking. As we were there in the off season, it was no problem. However, I would ask about parking if I were going there during the tourist season.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gjp514
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for writing your review after all this time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fishguard
Fishguard Bay Hotel
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Pembroke Dock

Been to Cartref Hotel? Share your experiences!