“Fawlty Towers 2”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fishguard
worcester uk
“Fawlty Towers 2”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

Previous review mirrors my stay there. Have never had a "Full English" on a side plate before!! Whole place felt a bit "spooky" to me. Also owners two dogs running around whilst eating my breakfast- ok if you like dogs but if you dont? Whole place needs a SERIOUS update. Staff?? Only the owner far as i could see. Only stayed here cos it was cheap and arrived late in Fishguard and was knackered. Can recommend the pub opposite The Navy Tavern good atmos and food.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cirencester, Gloucestershire.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2009

I stayed for one night prior to catching the ferry to Rosslare. Very poor, service little better than a guest house. No restaurant - directed to local pub for dinner. No front door key, door kept locked at all times and you had to ring a bell.

Very few staff and quite rude. First time I have ever been asked for payment as soon as I arrive. Ordered a newspaper for the following morning and then questioned the next morning if I was entitled to it when I came down to collect it. Had to book what time we wanted breakfast in the morning and I got told off when I came down 10 minutes early.
Cooked breakfast was served on a side plate, A Coffee percolator was on the dresser and I noticed that 2 cups of coffee that had been poured but not required were poured back in for re-use. (Glad I was drinking tea!)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Standard13
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
I am disappointed that the Cartref left such a bad impression on the reviewer. Meals are available for hotel guests but I also do point out other possibilities in town. As the Hotel is two-starred, a receptionist is not required; hence the door is locked. Most accommodation providers require a deposit or credit card details when a room is booked. Otherwise experience has taught to ask payment on arrival - most customers seem to understand this. Of course, you may inspect the rooms beforehand! I am sorry if it was offending to make sure it was you who had ordered the paper! When there are many customers staying, I try to minimise waiting during breakfast by asking preferred time, please do appreciate this! I might be old-fashioned in the size of the breakfast plate...If by the end of breakfast the cups were poured back, it was for my own use - and all my crockery and cutlery are washed in the dishwasher at the appropriate temperature. If the Hotel really was Fawlty Towers, I do not think I would have survived 16 years in this business! Best of luck in your travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fishguard
Fishguard Bay Hotel
Wolfscastle Country Hotel and Restaurant
Slebech Park
Slebech Park
#3 of 7 in Haverfordwest

Been to Cartref Hotel? Share your experiences!