All reviews game pie main concern separate shower room mid wales warm welcome full english a large car park evening meal rooms are spacious dog show stayed for one night royal welsh show feel very welcome old building biscuits stopover festival
Reviewed 19 February 2018

I have been playing short mat bowls and officiating at matches as umpire for several years but last year discovered the Highland Moors for my weekends at the competitions in the Radnorshire Indoor Bowling Centre Llandrindod Wells.

I had no hesitation this year in booking in advance for my two weekends in January, both Friday to Mon; this last weekend (16th to 19th February 2018) and a further stay in for two nights this coming April.

Sue Green, mine host for these stays, is warm and friendly like the hotel and an excellent cook as well. If it is onthe menu when you visit, ask for the game pie; you will not be disappointed.

All the options for breakfast but I opted for Full English (or Welsh) which is first class and will set you up for the day.

I have worked my way through the varied menu (Don't even ask me what the vegetarian options were but they were there).

Since January my choices have included sirloin steak, salmon fillet, game pie, fillet of cod in a lemon crumble, game pie (again), Supreme of pork tenderloin Chicken in garlic, white wine mushroom and cream sauce. I am not really a dessert person but I do recommend the apple and berry crumble (as well as the game pie).

The hotel is located at the entrance to Llandrindod Wells and the journey into the bowling centre was under 5 minutes

Llandrindod Wells is well situated to explore Central Wales and among its own attractions my favourite is the Victorian Festival.

(The highlight of the town's year is the Llandrindod Wells Victorian Festival, due to celebrate its 37th continuous festival in 2018.

With free music concerts, exhibitions, costume parades, Balls, evening performances, organ grinders, competitions and a magnificent torchlight procession and firework display on the final night, there is truly something for everyone.)

Shall I have the game pie again in April?

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 8 November 2017

My daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights and were very happy with every aspect of our stay. We had a very spacious room and enjoyed the privacy of the hotel as well as the helpfulness of staff. Breakfast was exceptionally good. I have to confess that I am more a fan of modern hotels so this was a change for me, but I hope the positive experience I had is a reflection on how good our stay there was.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2017

From the moment you step foot in the Highland Moors hotel you are made to feel very welcome. You're not so much a guest, more a member of the family and I for one really like that.
The rooms are spacious with everything you could need to relax/unwind.
The coffe,tea, hot chocolate and biscuits were replenished each day which is a nice touch, especially after a long days riding around the beautiful roads surrounding us.
Breakfast is large and varied and good value, dinner even more so. I had game pie with seasonal veg and potatoes, 10 out of 10, you absolutely must try this!
A few drinks at their bar and a few games of pool and off to bed for an uninterrupted nights sleep.
Would I go back here? Definitely.
It's a charming building with a lot of history and it must take a lot of effort to keep the place going. If you are looking for the equivalent of The Ivy then you are in the wrong place but if you want somewhere that's good value, friendly and accommodating then book now.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Lee and Les ( the eggs were perfect!)

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Blackhampster2, Owner at Highland Moors Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Thank you Lee & Les.
You have put your finger on all the aspects of the guest experience that we try very hard to get right. It does take a lot of effort to keep a building such as ours in good shape and we have always focused on the things we can excel at whilst we're saving to do the expensive jobs. There is no such thing as a quick cheap job but your reward is knowing that if you do it right, it'll still be in great shape in another 120 years when our modern cousins are long gone ! I was so furtunate to have a husband who spent 12 solid years building and refurbishing so he knows every square inch of the building and how to fix it if we have a problem.
We're ideal for bikers and do enjoy them here very much as you can see from our pics on F/book.
Stop by anytime for a free coffee if you're passing and look forward to welcoming you back to stay another time

Kind regards
Sue

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We stayed for one night in August. The property is set back from the road, has a large car park, and is a quiet location. There are wonderful views from the house towards a semi-circle of hills which are unspoiled, just countryside, and the afternoon and evening light was just like being many miles further south, in Provence !!!!
Very well equipped room, with plenty of space, and everything one needs for comfort.
An excellent start to our holiday. A good sleep and a varied breakfast, nicely cooked and presented.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you Geoff and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As always improving every year that passes.
Kind Regards
Sue

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with work for the Royal Welsh Show.

My room was lovely. It was clean and the facilities excellent. I loved the tray with hot chocolate, tea and gorgeous biscuits.

The huge fluffy towels in the bathrooms are lovely and the shower gel provided smelt amazing. It's nice to have these little touches that you don't often get these days.

Only criticism would be that it was really light and it would be great to have black out curtains in the room.

We ate twice in the evening and the food is amazing; great quality and big portions.
The staff are all fantastic, so friendly and welcoming.
Looking forward to coming back.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business