All reviews game pie main concern separate shower room mid wales warm welcome a large car park rooms are spacious full english stayed for one night royal welsh show feel very welcome biscuits stopover festival comfort countryside
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Having booked what we thought was a ‘comfortable and stylish’ bedroom (all the rooms have single beds, no double beds), we were surprised that although we were one of only a couple staying, we had been put into an ‘older room’ which clearly needed redoing and modernising.

Given the age of this property and it’s extensive history, the couple have done well to maintain the Victorian heating but understandably, when the building stands empty of customers, it’s not worth heating the entire building. In asking for a more modernised room (better shower cubicle - only a meter space between getting off the toilet and stepping into the shower as it’s very narrow and small), less rickety beds and dated room- as indicated on their website, we were told they’d not been made up and that they were refurbishing the property, but they’d do what they could to maintain our comfort.
Extra blankets and two heaters were duly provided however this was insufficient to warm the bedroom up, resulting in needing to sleep with plenty layers of clothing. The mattress and pillows themselves, were comfortable.

The breakfast choices catered to meat eaters with vegetarians having choices of fruit and yoghurt. The couple have peppered biblical motivational quotes in random places to be discovered (like the jam pot) and reflected upon. This was a surprise, but it made for a more mindful and considered start to my morning.

Other than the sleeping arrangements and explanations around this, the lack of sufficient heating and unwillingness to move us to another more suitable room - I’d say that this was a okay place for an overnight stay or a tired traveller.
The food and personal touches are replenishing but perhaps not a place to stay on a business trip.

Thank you for your hospitality - I wish you well.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Blackhampster2, Owner at Highland Moors Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Thank for taking the time to comment on your stay. We're not sure which 'older' room you were in as all are being upgraded in a similar manner. All beds, curtains, linen is new and painting is refreshed every year. New carpets are going into the bedrooms next week so we're very pleased about that. A few of the bedroom suites are granted a little dated but in keeping with the 120 yr old style of the house. Again it appears you were in Room 6 or 11 where the ensuites are smaller. All the rest, the bays especially are generous and very spacious. See pictures on our website. We would have gladly moved you to another room if we had known. We have rarely been unable to upgrade guests free of charge and most will testify that we upgrade from a std room to an ensuite as standard practice. Without knowing who you are and when you stayed, I'm afraid I can't comment. All our staff have been briefed to do whatever it takes to solve the problem for the guest.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 19 February 2018

I have been playing short mat bowls and officiating at matches as umpire for several years but last year discovered the Highland Moors for my weekends at the competitions in the Radnorshire Indoor Bowling Centre Llandrindod Wells.

I had no hesitation this year in booking in advance for my two weekends in January, both Friday to Mon; this last weekend (16th to 19th February 2018) and a further stay in for two nights this coming April.

Sue Green, mine host for these stays, is warm and friendly like the hotel and an excellent cook as well. If it is onthe menu when you visit, ask for the game pie; you will not be disappointed.

All the options for breakfast but I opted for Full English (or Welsh) which is first class and will set you up for the day.

I have worked my way through the varied menu (Don't even ask me what the vegetarian options were but they were there).

Since January my choices have included sirloin steak, salmon fillet, game pie, fillet of cod in a lemon crumble, game pie (again), Supreme of pork tenderloin Chicken in garlic, white wine mushroom and cream sauce. I am not really a dessert person but I do recommend the apple and berry crumble (as well as the game pie).

The hotel is located at the entrance to Llandrindod Wells and the journey into the bowling centre was under 5 minutes

Llandrindod Wells is well situated to explore Central Wales and among its own attractions my favourite is the Victorian Festival.

(The highlight of the town's year is the Llandrindod Wells Victorian Festival, due to celebrate its 37th continuous festival in 2018.

With free music concerts, exhibitions, costume parades, Balls, evening performances, organ grinders, competitions and a magnificent torchlight procession and firework display on the final night, there is truly something for everyone.)

Shall I have the game pie again in April?

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 8 November 2017

My daughter and I stayed here for 4 nights and were very happy with every aspect of our stay. We had a very spacious room and enjoyed the privacy of the hotel as well as the helpfulness of staff. Breakfast was exceptionally good. I have to confess that I am more a fan of modern hotels so this was a change for me, but I hope the positive experience I had is a reflection on how good our stay there was.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2017

From the moment you step foot in the Highland Moors hotel you are made to feel very welcome. You're not so much a guest, more a member of the family and I for one really like that.
The rooms are spacious with everything you could need to relax/unwind.
The coffe,tea, hot chocolate and biscuits were replenished each day which is a nice touch, especially after a long days riding around the beautiful roads surrounding us.
Breakfast is large and varied and good value, dinner even more so. I had game pie with seasonal veg and potatoes, 10 out of 10, you absolutely must try this!
A few drinks at their bar and a few games of pool and off to bed for an uninterrupted nights sleep.
Would I go back here? Definitely.
It's a charming building with a lot of history and it must take a lot of effort to keep the place going. If you are looking for the equivalent of The Ivy then you are in the wrong place but if you want somewhere that's good value, friendly and accommodating then book now.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
Lee and Les ( the eggs were perfect!)

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you Lee & Les.
You have put your finger on all the aspects of the guest experience that we try very hard to get right. It does take a lot of effort to keep a building such as ours in good shape and we have always focused on the things we can excel at whilst we're saving to do the expensive jobs. There is no such thing as a quick cheap job but your reward is knowing that if you do it right, it'll still be in great shape in another 120 years when our modern cousins are long gone ! I was so furtunate to have a husband who spent 12 solid years building and refurbishing so he knows every square inch of the building and how to fix it if we have a problem.
We're ideal for bikers and do enjoy them here very much as you can see from our pics on F/book.
Stop by anytime for a free coffee if you're passing and look forward to welcoming you back to stay another time

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We stayed for one night in August. The property is set back from the road, has a large car park, and is a quiet location. There are wonderful views from the house towards a semi-circle of hills which are unspoiled, just countryside, and the afternoon and evening light was just like being many miles further south, in Provence !!!!
Very well equipped room, with plenty of space, and everything one needs for comfort.
An excellent start to our holiday. A good sleep and a varied breakfast, nicely cooked and presented.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you Geoff and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As always improving every year that passes.
Kind Regards