“A really lovely stay.”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Stayed here with a Travel Zoo deal - one night's bed and breakfast with a six course taster menu. We arrived early as weather was too bad to stop anywhere on the way, but our room was waiting for us. a very warm comfortable, well appointed room and a huge bathroom, both rooms spotlessly clean. The window was high up but we were not there in the day really so did not miss having a view. The only fault was the bathroom fan. This came on, with the light when you opened the bathroom door, Fair enough, but when you came out and shut the bathroom door, the fan stayed on for almost 10 minutes which was very irritating in the middle of the night. And there was no way around it! If the light and fan could have been operated by a switch or pull cord in or outside the bathroom, I would have had the option of going to the bathroom by the light by the wardrobe and leaving the door open and would not have woken my husband up twice! The rest of the hotel was a maze of rooms and corridors all decorated in keeping with the age of the hotel. It may have been a bit shabby chic in places but with such a huge higgedly piggedly place I congratulate the management on keeping it all so clean and well maintained. It must be a nightmare to give it the care and attention it needs. But you do well.
We had a short time in the spa and enjoyed it, especially the heated floors in the changing rooms!
And then to the meal. What a feast! I can honestly say it is one of the best if not the best meals I have ever tasted. Each dish was perfection. The portions were just right and the wait between coures perfect. How it was done so well is a mystery! The restaurant staff were amazing - efficient and professional while being friendly. And the chefs! What can I say?! Congratulations for such a meal. My only complaint - I wanted more even if I was comfortably full. Thank you.
Breakfast could not compete with dinner! But when it is a buffet, it never can. There was a good choice of food, and I sampled most ! Unfortunately, because it is a buffet, food gets cold while queuing and when things run out, but still a much better buffet breakfast than other places.
All in all, a wonderful stay and we will certainly be back

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Dear Ann, thank you for your feedback following your stay with us and I was pleased to read that over all you had an enjoyable stay. Lights in bathrooms are one of the biggest wastes of energy as people are always leaving them on, hence the introduction of automatic lights. The fan in a room without a window is a requirement of building regulations however I am unsure into the requirement as to how long it should stay on. I can see how in the middle of the night it could have been irritating and will investigate how easy it is to shorten the length of time the fan stays on. Thank you for your feedback and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed 13 March 2013

A lifetime ago, well 1969 and 1970, I was a student at Hereford Tech. and spent weekends and holidays working at the Metropole, mad crazy times.........Well I have just spent 2 days as a guest and have had a fantastic time. We stayed on the Travelzoo Gormet Spa Deal and we can't believe the food and service we received - FIRST class for sure. We also used the bar and spa, again perfection. Congratulations on keeping my memories of the Metropole so special and we hope to return soon. Thanks to all the staff for their care and for helping me remember old times. Be proud as the hotel is offering all one could wish for and after spending a lifetime in the Hospitality industry here and in Europe both my friend and myself were very highly impressed. Keep up the good work, and the Special Offers!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask when booking if you require a quiet room but all rooms looked of simular 1st class quality
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Caz, it's great to hear when people return to the hotel after so many years away. My Father and Mother would have been in charge back in 1969 when you had your holiday job at the hotel and I would have just been making a nuisance of myself as a 4 year old. Please come again soon and look out for the special offers on our web site which are always as good as travelzoo and by booking directly we don't pay commission to Travel Zoo. Hope to meet you on your next visit, regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We arrived here having driven from London to escape the hustle and bustle.

On first appearences you see the back of the hotel from the road. And I was intially a little reserved. But when you drive into the car park you see this beautiful grand hotel building yes albeit green still very gracious.

We parked and walked up the stairs into the hotel. And were greeted by David apparently the token welsh man. Who welcomed us beautifully and assured us we would be looked after. And as he handed over the key to a what turned out to be a two bedroom suite I was sure they would.

We had dinner reservation for 8 pm and were seated at a good table where we then were treated to the 6 course taster menu. Which was delicious and the sea bream was exquisite. I had a half bottle of some very nice bordeaux and delighted in the pleasure of the good service.

My fiance described the hotel as a little oasis in wales and he was indeed right.

I had one of the most lovely memorable stays, which improved once again when we visited the lovely spa the next day for a swim and hot tub.

I notice that the hotel is in fact family run and owned which is some feat these days and very admirable how all the decor is smart and clean and well lets just say guys your getting it right.

If we werent heading north to scotland I would most definately take up the offer once again.

Thank you for some lovely memories of Wales.

Room Tip: the two bed suite was great thank you lorna
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lu, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us but I wont let my old friend David hog the limelight as the token Welshman. There are quite a few of us, indeed some like me and my children were lucky enough to be born in Llandrindod Wells Hospital a stones throw from the hotel. As is the way in modern Britian there are a few of our continental cousins helping out, and a fine job they do. I hope you will be able to make the trip from London again soon and maybe stay a little longer. Kind regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We spent one night at the hotel, on the special promotion with the 6 course taster menu dining experience. The staff were really good, and we were allocated a very nice room (tower suite) on the corner of the hotel. Room was very clean with a recent bathroom refit to a very good standard. comfy bed, high ceilings, and a small lounge area within the room. The evening meal was splendid. Good service, and 6 brilliant/interesting courses, cooked to perfection. The decor of the restuarant is also very fresh and contemporary, and makes a nice location for the breakfast which was hot buffet style with all you could wish for. We would be more than happy to visit again especially on the same package if we can get this - great value for money - well done Metropole.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are very well appointed.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We recently stayed for a weekend break and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of food (we had the taster menu) and service.
The room was large with nice bathroom and amazing views (we stayed in the Tower room 434). Pool is a very good size for a hotel one, jacuzzi and sauna just add to the relaxing options. Gym is not best, but there are many running, cycling etc. possibilities outside.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Exteriorly this hotel looks a little tired but great effort have been made to bring the inside up to date and has largely succeeded. The rooms are clean and tidy with everything you are likely to need in a hotel room. The best bits are the food and the staff. Everybody is so helpfull and the waiting staff are really efficient but not in an 'in your face' kind of way. We had the taster menu and it was lovely as was the breakfast. We would definitely go back.

1  Thank MadJack2012
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Jack, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff were efficient and helpful. We are always doing bits of work here and there to both the inside and outside of the building. To be fair not many exteriors look great in March but I do have plans to paint the rear terrace when the weather improves and if we can afford it the front as well. The big problem is the price of scaffolding which is extortionate. Last summer we painted the rear of the hotel of a cherry picker and I can assure you it's pretty hairy floating around up there. Hope we will see you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Managing Director

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Called for a coffee and cake......ordered coffee and muffins, told "no muffins...well we have but they are frozen ,not recommended" so ordered scones.
Scones arrived 30 minutes after the coffee 4, all on one plate, with only enough jam and cream for 2. No side plates were offered so had to eat off the serviettes. Could of asked for side plates, but by then we did not want to be there any longer.
Guess these had also been frozen as one was soggy on one side , and all were extremely cold..
We payed over £12 for this..... so not worth it.
We live locally and shop in Llandod frequently, but will not be visiting again. Have emailed the hotel directly ,but no reply.
Last year my friend and myself had a spa day there and was really impressed and were going to repeat this year.....not now

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing experience in Spencers. I will investigate what the cause was and in the meantime please accept my apologies.

It would be a shame if you were not to visit the Spa again. We are currently undertaking an extension which will include new treatment rooms and a relaxation area. You will recall that when you last came lunch was taken in the Spencers bar, but we will now be able to provide food in the new reception area. The revamped Spa will be opening in early May.

Thank you for contacting me. Regards Justin Baird-Murray, Owner

#2 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!