“Terrible at dealing with customers”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Terrible at dealing with customers”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I should have been prepared from the hotel's responses to the negative reviews on Tripadvisor that this hotel deals well when things go right but goes on the attack if you have a problem.

Firstly let me say that the Metropole does get quite a few things right, the rooms are spotless, well decorated and have nice amenities. The pool and spa area is clean and tidy finished to a high standard with a decent sized (and not too busy) pool. the breakfast was good with nice vegetarian options.

It's worth pointing out that there is no air conditioning in the rooms and although it says in the welcome book that fans are available the one brought to us was about 10cm high and barely qualified as a desk fan. the person bringing its exact words were "I'm sorry it's a bit pitiful" - I do appreciate that we're in the middle of an unusual heat wave, but a £10 floor fan for every room wouldn't be too bad an investment, the room was stiflingly hot and we didn't sleep well despite a comfy bed.

Where the hotel falls down is in dealing with customers. For example, on arrival we were asked if we wanted a newspaper for an extra charge. We said, no thanks but on arrival in the room there was a note on the table saying "welcome to the executive room, please call reception to order a free newspaper" we did so and were told that we had booked an executive room not an 'executive package' (whatever that is) and that there will still be a charge despite it saying in the room it was free. When you pay £140 for a room having someone quibble over a £1 newspaper just seems a bit petty and penny-pinching.

On leaving we discovered we had overpaid by £14 as we had paid a deposit in advance and the remainder via vouchers. This COULD have been very easily sorted out as, in the end, the hotel gave us £14 of the deposit we paid to them rather than returning one of our £10 vouchers as they had already validated them.

However to get to the point of them returning the £14.. oh.. my.. god.. We have to REALLY fight with the receptionist and then duty manager to get the £14 back and it was completely unnecessary. The guy was going red in the face and telling us it was 'diabolical' that we should expect to get money back. I can think of dozens of ways that they could have dealt with this situation and we would have left the hotel happy and probably have come back - For example the hotel do their own vouchers - if they had said "look we can't refund your vouchers or the money you've already paid to us, but here's the same amount in hotel vouchers and why not have a coffee in the bar on us" we would have finished our stay happy and come back to stay with them another time (and definitely spent more than £14). But the last thing you want after a stay where you are supposed to be relaxing is someone trying to start a verbal fight with you; a little bit of training in how to deal with a conflict would go a long way here. We left with the impression that it was more about making sure that they held onto every possible penny they could rather than starting on the basis of the customer being right and trying to attract future custom.

We would never go back and I really can't recommend the Metropole to anyone as I'm sure if everything goes right with your stay then it's a great hotel, but just read the aggressive responses to people that have complained on Tripadvisor to get a flavour of how they deal with customer issues - I assumed the people on here in a previous review that were told to "stay or go" were exaggerating or being unfair but now I see what they mean. Take a chance if you like but woe betide you if anything goes wrong with your stay… you have been warned.

Room Tip: make sure you get a fan if it's hot as there's no air con
4 Thank samrad999
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
This complaint was responded to by myself directly to Samrad prior to seeing this review on Tripadvisor. I initially received the complaint via the offices at Welsh Rarebits where Samrad sent the complaint. This was my response.
Dear Mr Rad,

Your email to Welsh Rarebits has been passed on to me and I have looked into what occurred.

Clearly my Duty Manager made a misjudgement in his assessment of the situation and please accept our apologies for the aggravation you were caused. I have held a meeting this morning with my front of house team and agreed that within reason we need to be more understanding when occurrences relating to vouchers occurs. I would stress that this is the first such occurrence and that perhaps explains our inadequacy in dealing with it. I do apologies.

In relation to your comments about recent tripadvisor reviews I think that on the whole we experience very positive feedback. I do respond personally to all feedback and take pleasure in doing so. There was a recent incident and subsequent feedback which I am still debating with myself how to respond. There is a point up to which the customer is always right, but very very rarely that point is stepped over. It goes without saying there are 2 sides to every story and whilst your complaint is quite justified the recent poor review on tripadvisor is from somebody who was so obnoxious I have quite simply banned him from ever stepping over our threshold again.

I sincerely hope that in all other respects your stay with us was enjoyable and I am sure I can speak on behalf of all my colleagues within the Welsh Rarebits group in saying how much we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotels in the future and how much we value your custom.

I do apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you.

Kind Regards

Justin Baird-Murray
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place. Took a group of 14 study abroad grad students to this hotel. We just stayed the night and the rooms ranged from good to wonderful. Really a great place to stay. Great pool and spa area. Great breakfast. The staff was very accommodating to our need for an early morning breakfast. We really enjoyed this hotel and everyone would have liked to stay a bit longer.

• Stayed July 2013
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Erika, how lovely to receive feedback from a friend across the pond. I've never been to Ohio but I am sure it is lovely.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and am only sorry it was so brief. I hope that you will be able to return for a longer stay sometime in the near future.
Regards
Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
Somerset UK
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Spent a few days dawdling around Wales and picked the Metropole mainly by appearance. Should have checked TripAdvisor first to see it was No 1. What a great place to stumble on, like a grand old lady of a hotel, not keeping up with the flash, young, modern hotel chains and all the better for it. Masses of character and far more style than anything built in the last 100 years but cleverly adapted to current standards leaving some quirky details and arrangements but clean and comfortable. Car park is huge, checking in was a pleasure with very friendly, competent, helpful and professional staff, and the room was large, comfortable and well furnished. No aircon in the recent hot spell but this is Wales! Free WiFi though which should be the normal everywhere.
Not being keen on hotel food we decided to find a restaurant in the town. This was a big mistake for two reasons, one there didn't appear to be any restaurants in the town and two when we did return to eat at the hotel the food choice and quality and the service was excellent. Also breakfast was just as good. I owe the hotel an apology for prejudging it but I really was pleasantly surprised. It is always nice to find somewhere that exceeds your expectations and The Metropole certainly did that. Recommended wholeheartedly and we plan to return.

1 Thank Tombolas
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Tombolas, thank you for your very kind feedback following your stay with us. I am fortunate to have a delightful team working here at The Metropole who go out of their way to make sure all our guest have an enjoyable stay. I hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on the near future. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hotel was pleasant - some parts were excellent (food and spa) but it has some areas that leave a lot to be desired (conference facilities) and some parts were just quirky (bedroom). We stayed for a weekend - probably the hotest weekend on record and we realise that air-conditioning is not a high priority in the UK but the conference facilities were very uncomfortable. Restaurant service is hit and miss - sometimes extremely good at other times poor (45 minute wait from ordering to serving). The room we had was very small for a double but adequate however little thought had gone into the design and layout - who puts a shelf above the toilet? rather than above the sink? And what hotel in the 21st Century does not have a telephone signal available? Wifi is not available in all rooms and it gets turned off at 11pm in the lounges - you can however ask for it to be turned back on - Thats why I call it Quirky

Room Tip: Take a look at your room before you book in - some are very small
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mike, Thank you for your feedback following your stay at The Metropole. It would be helpful to know which conference room you were in as all our conference rooms bar the Wedgwood room have air conditioning. The Wedgwood does not but its annex does and we have not received any complaints about the Wedgwood even during the hot weather. If you could let me know that would be helpful.

As an old building we do have to occasionally improvise to meet the demands of the modern traveller. When Great Great Granny, Elizabeth Miles completed the hotel in 1896 it had over 240 bedrooms to share 24 bathrooms, so we have come quite a long way since then. It also had a fireplace in every bedroom and was the first hotel in Wales to have electric lifts.

Of course no bedroom had a phone and I suspect she would have wondered why anybody could possible need a phone they carried around with them all the time. Of course times have changed and whilst 02 the network provider I use has coverage throughout the hotel other suppliers, and in particular Vodaphone, do not appear to consider this under populated part of the world a priority when it comes to strengthening the waveband or providing 3G. This is one of the reasons that we provide free wifi throughout the hotel including all bedrooms. I am not sure why you had a problem with the wifi after 11pm. It does not get turned off and I will investigate with my night porter as to why you were misinformed.

The team in both the Kitchen and Restaurant are normally on top of things so I cannot understand how they let things slip during your stay. Again I am not entirely clear the group you were with but I will certainly remind them off their responsibilities.

I hope we will be welcoming you back to The Metropole in the future, Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We are just finishing a two day spa break. Excellent hotel, happy to recommend, especially the spa deal. Staff friendly, efficient and helpful; we have been looked after very well. We wanted a stress free break, and we got one! Having stayed in hotels round the world on business, we look for hotels with individuality, and this delivers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Hugh, really delighted to read how you enjoyed your Spa break. I think our independence allows us to provide a service which is somehow missing from the clinical approach of the large chains and I am pleased you enjoyed it. I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We booked an anniversary weekend away, at this hotel for 2 nights but cut it short to 1 because of mis - information of a location of a room and its basic cleanliness and Health & Safety. This was highlighted to the Owner who shockingly told us to either stay or go within a few hours of our stay.

Upon check out, the bill was in error of the total cost for 1 night which was spotted by my Wife.
The hotel claims to be in existence for several years with no complaints which I find hard to believe or it may be that too many customers are content in not having an opinion, in fear of being spoken to, in the manner this owner chose to do...Never again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank primera21
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at the Metropole as part of a coach tour. I would thoroughly recommend a stay here for anyone wanting to tour the surrounding area which is very beautiful. The staff were pleasant and extremely helpful, the room we were allotted was not to our liking(small and rather dark,)the only view was on to a huge pipe of some description! We were offered another room immediately with no fuss. The dining room is extremely well organised with many delightful young people waiting table. The service is very efficient and the food is attractively served, varied and delicious. All in all an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 232!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Molly, thank you for your very kind feedback following your recent stay with us. The staff are all very good and I will make sure that the restaurant staff in particular are informed of your generous praise. Kind Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!