Metropole Hotel
Glen Usk Hotel(Llandrindod Wells)
US$130
Crown Inn(Rhayader)
US$126
US$75
  • Breakfast included
The Lake Country House & Spa(Llangammarch Wells)
US$272
Rhydspence Inn(Whitney-on-Wye)
Toprooms.com
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
Knighton Hotel(Knighton)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,443 results
All reviewscourse taster menuglass of champagnetower roomlarge hotelsuperior roomtravelzoo dealmid walesleisure facilitiesgourmet dinnerspecial offersteam room and jacuzzilovely hotelrestaurant staffhigh standardmodern bathroomfamily roomup to date
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel to attend a conference just for a weekend, and it really did do it's job well. Plenty of places to park, the conference room was very well put together and relaxing. We had an evening meal in their restaurant, which was very well presented, and tasted as good as it looked. After a quiet dink in the bar, we went to our rooms which were very spacious and quiet. I would recommend this also to a couple who were looking for a romantic break, as I have been told they have a wonderful spa by the people on the conference who tried these facilities.

Room Tip: They all seem good, mine was to the rear and was very quiet!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear James, thank you for your feedback following your stay with us and I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable conference with us.
I'm getting worried that the last 3 reviews I've responded to have all mentioned the Spa but not visited it! I am getting worried everyone is working to hard when they visit us. Next time you are here I do hope you will find the time.
The rooms at the back of the hotel are the quietest but then again the rooms at the front are double glazed and have great views over Temple Gardens so it's a bit of a toss up over which is preferable and really down to personal choice. Whenever possible we will fit in with whatever the customer requires in a bedroom.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Absolutly fantastic hotel . Could not fault a thing. Room clean & pleasant. very comfortable beds. Bathroom, with bath & a lovely separate shower. The restaurant clean with lovely staff, & of course the food was brilliant, very well presented & tasty beond words.! lt also had a spa, but as I did not use it l cannot comment.

Room Tip: Our room was 112
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Pat, thank you for your feedback following your stay. I will make sure that your kind comments are passed on to my team in the Restaurant and Kitchen, they will be very pleased.
I hope that on your next visit you will find more time to make use of the Spa which is proving really popular.
Kind regards

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I had been to day conferences at this hotel on several occasions but this was the first time for me to have an overnight stay. I remembered the food as being excellent and this remains the same. The decor is lovely and the hotel is, I'm sure, the best in Llandrindod Wells. It is very large and it has lots of period detail. I didn't get a chance to try the spa but I'm told that the pool was lovely. I was very pleased with my room and the sleep quality and cleanliness. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay although I'm not a fan of the town itself.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Annwyn, thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. I hope that on your next visit you will find the time to use the Spa and maybe have a treatment.
I always think that until you visit the Lake in Llandrindod you haven't seen the town at it's best. You may of course have done so, but only yesterday I was up there with a group organising a car club event next year and it was spectacular with at least a dozen Swans and more ducks than I could count. Of course the weather helped as it was glorious at the time.
I hope that you will be able to return soon, whether it be with another conference or simply to indulge yourself.
Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I should have been prepared from the hotel's responses to the negative reviews on Tripadvisor that this hotel deals well when things go right but goes on the attack if you have a problem.

Firstly let me say that the Metropole does get quite a few things right, the rooms are spotless, well decorated and have nice amenities. The pool and spa area is clean and tidy finished to a high standard with a decent sized (and not too busy) pool. the breakfast was good with nice vegetarian options.

It's worth pointing out that there is no air conditioning in the rooms and although it says in the welcome book that fans are available the one brought to us was about 10cm high and barely qualified as a desk fan. the person bringing its exact words were "I'm sorry it's a bit pitiful" - I do appreciate that we're in the middle of an unusual heat wave, but a £10 floor fan for every room wouldn't be too bad an investment, the room was stiflingly hot and we didn't sleep well despite a comfy bed.

Where the hotel falls down is in dealing with customers. For example, on arrival we were asked if we wanted a newspaper for an extra charge. We said, no thanks but on arrival in the room there was a note on the table saying "welcome to the executive room, please call reception to order a free newspaper" we did so and were told that we had booked an executive room not an 'executive package' (whatever that is) and that there will still be a charge despite it saying in the room it was free. When you pay £140 for a room having someone quibble over a £1 newspaper just seems a bit petty and penny-pinching.

On leaving we discovered we had overpaid by £14 as we had paid a deposit in advance and the remainder via vouchers. This COULD have been very easily sorted out as, in the end, the hotel gave us £14 of the deposit we paid to them rather than returning one of our £10 vouchers as they had already validated them.

However to get to the point of them returning the £14.. oh.. my.. god.. We have to REALLY fight with the receptionist and then duty manager to get the £14 back and it was completely unnecessary. The guy was going red in the face and telling us it was 'diabolical' that we should expect to get money back. I can think of dozens of ways that they could have dealt with this situation and we would have left the hotel happy and probably have come back - For example the hotel do their own vouchers - if they had said "look we can't refund your vouchers or the money you've already paid to us, but here's the same amount in hotel vouchers and why not have a coffee in the bar on us" we would have finished our stay happy and come back to stay with them another time (and definitely spent more than £14). But the last thing you want after a stay where you are supposed to be relaxing is someone trying to start a verbal fight with you; a little bit of training in how to deal with a conflict would go a long way here. We left with the impression that it was more about making sure that they held onto every possible penny they could rather than starting on the basis of the customer being right and trying to attract future custom.

We would never go back and I really can't recommend the Metropole to anyone as I'm sure if everything goes right with your stay then it's a great hotel, but just read the aggressive responses to people that have complained on Tripadvisor to get a flavour of how they deal with customer issues - I assumed the people on here in a previous review that were told to "stay or go" were exaggerating or being unfair but now I see what they mean. Take a chance if you like but woe betide you if anything goes wrong with your stay… you have been warned.

Room Tip: make sure you get a fan if it's hot as there's no air con
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank samrad999
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

This complaint was responded to by myself directly to Samrad prior to seeing this review on Tripadvisor. I initially received the complaint via the offices at Welsh Rarebits where Samrad sent the complaint. This was my response.
Dear Mr Rad,

Your email to Welsh Rarebits has been passed on to me and I have looked into what occurred.

Clearly my Duty Manager made a misjudgement in his assessment of the situation and please accept our apologies for the aggravation you were caused. I have held a meeting this morning with my front of house team and agreed that within reason we need to be more understanding when occurrences relating to vouchers occurs. I would stress that this is the first such occurrence and that perhaps explains our inadequacy in dealing with it. I do apologies.

In relation to your comments about recent tripadvisor reviews I think that on the whole we experience very positive feedback. I do respond personally to all feedback and take pleasure in doing so. There was a recent incident and subsequent feedback which I am still debating with myself how to respond. There is a point up to which the customer is always right, but very very rarely that point is stepped over. It goes without saying there are 2 sides to every story and whilst your complaint is quite justified the recent poor review on tripadvisor is from somebody who was so obnoxious I have quite simply banned him from ever stepping over our threshold again.

I sincerely hope that in all other respects your stay with us was enjoyable and I am sure I can speak on behalf of all my colleagues within the Welsh Rarebits group in saying how much we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotels in the future and how much we value your custom.

I do apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place. Took a group of 14 study abroad grad students to this hotel. We just stayed the night and the rooms ranged from good to wonderful. Really a great place to stay. Great pool and spa area. Great breakfast. The staff was very accommodating to our need for an early morning breakfast. We really enjoyed this hotel and everyone would have liked to stay a bit longer.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Erika, how lovely to receive feedback from a friend across the pond. I've never been to Ohio but I am sure it is lovely.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and am only sorry it was so brief. I hope that you will be able to return for a longer stay sometime in the near future.
Regards