“6 course taster - ticked all the boxes”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We have just returned from our first ever £99 - 6 course taster stay. What a thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish. Lovely pool in the spa, the taster meal was great, varied, tasty and sufficiently filling. Service by all the staff was exemplary. Our room was very comfortable, spacious and clean. We left very full after a lovely breakfast. There had been a problem re our pre-ordered newspaper. The receptionist immediately put on her coat and dashed out in the pouring rain to get us a replacement!
Absolutely no complaints and would recommend to anyone
D & S (North Wales)

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the executive rooms at the back - quiet and really comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear DH Wales, delighted to read that your stay went well and that one of my receptionists braved the weather to get your misplaced newspaper. I'm very lucky in having staff who are prepared to rectify a mistake as quickly as possible. I hope that we shall be able to welcome you back again soon.

Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently stayed at The Metropole for a spa weekend especially looking forward to the food after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I was really looking forward to the sea bass on the Friday evening but what a disappointment. The piece of bass was small and the accompanying vegetables over cooked what saved the meal was the very good sweet. I do not know whether the kitchen staff were distracted at the time by a large wedding that was taking place over the same weekend. The service by the restaurant staff was very good. The Saturday evening meal I chose, after Fridays disappointment, was the safe but dull option of a roast which was ok. The spa facilities are at a reasonable standard as is the rest of the hotel but most of the facility needs refreshing.

We also made use of the special offer of a free afternoon cream tea that did in fact come without tea but with a glass of bubbly that the staff were not permitted to change for a pot of tea which is a problem for any driver.

I would normally voice my opinion at the time but the weekend was arranged as my partner had recently recovered from a very concerning illness.

Overall an ok weekend but I have to disagree with other reviewers on the standard of food especially the disappointing sea bass.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view but not of a roof
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Alison, I am so sorry to read of your disappointment with the sea bass but obviously pleased that the service and sweet was very good. As hospitality is our business I do wish you had said something at the time as there is now really nothing I can do other than apologise. At the time, I or one of my staff would have been more than happy to look at how we could make up for your disappointment.

This is equally true of the afternoon tea. To deal with this now weeks after the event is so much more difficult as I am sure this must have been the actions of one individual. I have spoken to Johnny and his team in the bar who serve afternoon tea and they of course have no recollection of one event weeks ago and all assure me they would always accept the request of a cup of tea over a glass of Prosecco. Obviously I am not suggesting you experience did not happen, but all I can now offer is an apology and an assurance that the whole team have been reminded to behave with common sense as opposed to one individual who possibly needs more intensive training.

I hope you Partner has made a full and complete recovery.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd stay at The Metropole, and second within a few months. Although an ageing building, it is decorated to a high standard and our room was clean, spacious with all the usual amenities, freeview flat screen TV, free wifi,Tea/Coffee making, hair dryer, complimentary shampoo/shower gell etc... and super king size very comfy bed.

The staff were very attentive, friendly and polite, particularly Vaughan one of the waiters, and the food was varied, well presented and to a very high standard. Both our visits were on organised events and we thought were very good value for money.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again next time we're in the area & both event organisers use the hotel regularly because of guest positive feedback.

• Stayed: September 2013
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Chunky, I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your visits to The Metropole this year. Vaughan is a delightful chap, very cheerful and a great example to all of his peers, I shall certainly make sure he sees your kind comments. I hope we will be welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards
Justin Baird Murray

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were visiting Llandrindod Wells on a Sunday and discovered all the recommended restaurants are doing so well they close on a Sunday evening. We were delighted to find that the biggest hotel in the town did however serve food so we booked. We arrived at this rather run down relic from the past which seemed to specialise in coach parties for the elderly and found a bistro which was reasonable. The only problem was that there was a faint odour of sewage pervading the corridors but we persisted to the bistro and had a reasonable meal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Billyboy, judging by your other reviews of your weekend in Wales it doesn't appear to have been a great success, which I'm sorry about. Aberdovey and Portmerion are generally delightful.

Obviously one visit for dinner cannot give you a feel of our overall customer base and we are in fact lucky to have many different market segments who make use of the hotel including the elderly and people who can't find anywhere else open. Everyone within reason is very welcome.

I would disagree that the hotel is a relic of the past. I, and my Father before me, have put many years of hard work maintaining the property and high standards of hospitality. The Brasserie in which you ate was part of £1.6 million project and only this year we did a small project to redevelop our lounge area which was very well received.

I am terribly sorry that there was an unpleasant odour. I was out on Sunday and did not return to the hotel until about 9.30pm and did not notice anything myself. I trust that you were well looked after in Spencers Brasserie and enjoyed a safe journey back to wherever you were staying.

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Metropole
An old fashioned building providing traditional top quality service with 21st century facilities. The metropolis is a bit qwerty but staff were smart, discrete and helpful. There are thoroughly 21st century facilities with wifi, freeview in all rooms and a modern bar.

The room I stayed in was spacious, clean and the bed was comfy. The traditional curtains took a little tweeting but did eventually black out the light!

Was able to book a spa treatment same day to fit in between conference and dinner, and service was brilliant.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Cardiff69, delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and managed to fit in a Spa treatment. All to often people cannot make the time but it is well worth it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I am a lawyer and had to cover a case in LLandrindod at short notice. Terrible traffic problems, so didn't arrive till 11.30 pm. Hadn't booked in advance. The [male] receptionist was totally unfazed and found me a room. When I told him I'd been driving for 6 hours, he said: 'Ah, you'll be needing a drink...I'll open the bar'! It was the most satisfying 'pint' in a long time! The room was large and comfortable, with wi-fi [which I needed]. The morning receptionist gave me detailed directions to the newly-built local court, which I wouldn't otherwise have found [as it's out of town]. I intend to go back with the family for a weekend, in this lovely part of the country. A proper hotel, with proper service...not cheap, but worth the price.

Room Tip: Can be some traffic noise at the front...but that's not the hotel's fault.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank nicholas r

Dear Nicholas, nothing pleases me more than to read that we have communicated well with customers and also anticipated their requirements. I hope that on you next visit to the town you will have longer to enjoy the facilities. Thank you for your comments which are appreciated.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Our third visit to the Metropole, this time to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Once again the hotel was fully booked and not a sign of stress amongst any of the staff. Speed of service and quality of food in the restaurant was perfect. Despite being full and hosting the Quick Quacks motorcycle club and Lotus 7 club there was still plenty of space in the car park.

Excellent value for money on an all inclusive deal and loads to do locally. The Elan Valley with its magnificent dams is a must to visit. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Wycombeorpheus,

I was very pleased to read your feedback following your stay with us and delighted that we again made your stay enjoyable.

The Elan valley is such a wonderful place and of course in the coming weeks it will take on the wonderful Autumnal colours which are just beautiful.

We are running our Winter offer from 1st October which is fantastic value at £99.00 and can be booked via our web site so I do hope you will have the chance to take advantage of this.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
7 mi away
Crown Inn
Crown Inn
#2 of 3 in Rhayader

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!