“Fave Hotel”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We have stayed at this Hotel 4 times and loved it each time. The food is top notch especially breakfast, spa clean and well equipped and the rooms are fab. The packages they offer for 1 2 night stay are excellent value.
We had our first trip here as a couple and have made it our hotel with lovely memories

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Christina, how very nice to read your lovely comments about The Metropole. I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Attended the Metropole on business for a conference.
The building is very old and well preserved but inside there's a touch of modernisation!
My room was well equipped and comfortable, although a little warm, but this was probably to do with the weather! But my room had its own temperature thermostat.
Evening meal was delicious and plentiful and staff were most helpful and attentive to needs.
I spent a few hours in the bar which again was comfortable and uber modern with drinks priced, at what I thought was quite reasonable.
Breakfast the next morning was delicious with plenty of choice and again staff on hand.
I didn't have opportunity to visit spa facilities but I know that colleagues comments were positive about the amenities available.
Enjoyable 1 night stay. Would love to visit again.
Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Omi, I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable visit to The Metropole for you conference.

I hope that you will able to return for a relaxing break at some point in the future. We are running a very good offer of £99.00 DBB for 2 people through the winter that can be booked on our web site. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I booked a cheap one night deal with TravelZoo - B&B, glass of champagne, use of the spa facilities and a 6 course tasting menu. all for £99. To be perfectly honest we weren't expecting all that much as at that price it just seemed too good to be true. But from the moment we arrived our expectations were greatly exceeded. The hotel has clearly been refurbished relatively recently and it shows - lovely public spaces, an elegant bar and a great spa. We had anticipated a small room but we were given a large executive room with a bay window. It was clean and in good condition. And dinner - wow! Six lovely courses, all beautifully cooked and presented.

Honestly there was just nothing to complain about. This is a big, busy hotel but it has none of the 'old fashioned' or 'tired' feel of so many of this ilk. Congratulations to everyone at the Metropole and our thanks for a great one night stay. We'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Brynmelyndavid, delighted that we exceeded your expectations.

The £99 offer continues to be available on our web site which is our preferred way of you taking advantage of the offer as it saves on commission to Travel Zoo. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We have just returned from our first ever £99 - 6 course taster stay. What a thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish. Lovely pool in the spa, the taster meal was great, varied, tasty and sufficiently filling. Service by all the staff was exemplary. Our room was very comfortable, spacious and clean. We left very full after a lovely breakfast. There had been a problem re our pre-ordered newspaper. The receptionist immediately put on her coat and dashed out in the pouring rain to get us a replacement!
Absolutely no complaints and would recommend to anyone
D & S (North Wales)

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the executive rooms at the back - quiet and really comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear DH Wales, delighted to read that your stay went well and that one of my receptionists braved the weather to get your misplaced newspaper. I'm very lucky in having staff who are prepared to rectify a mistake as quickly as possible. I hope that we shall be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently stayed at The Metropole for a spa weekend especially looking forward to the food after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I was really looking forward to the sea bass on the Friday evening but what a disappointment. The piece of bass was small and the accompanying vegetables over cooked what saved the meal was the very good sweet. I do not know whether the kitchen staff were distracted at the time by a large wedding that was taking place over the same weekend. The service by the restaurant staff was very good. The Saturday evening meal I chose, after Fridays disappointment, was the safe but dull option of a roast which was ok. The spa facilities are at a reasonable standard as is the rest of the hotel but most of the facility needs refreshing.

We also made use of the special offer of a free afternoon cream tea that did in fact come without tea but with a glass of bubbly that the staff were not permitted to change for a pot of tea which is a problem for any driver.

I would normally voice my opinion at the time but the weekend was arranged as my partner had recently recovered from a very concerning illness.

Overall an ok weekend but I have to disagree with other reviewers on the standard of food especially the disappointing sea bass.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view but not of a roof
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Alison, I am so sorry to read of your disappointment with the sea bass but obviously pleased that the service and sweet was very good. As hospitality is our business I do wish you had said something at the time as there is now really nothing I can do other than apologise. At the time, I or one of my staff would have been more than happy to look at how we could make up for your disappointment.

This is equally true of the afternoon tea. To deal with this now weeks after the event is so much more difficult as I am sure this must have been the actions of one individual. I have spoken to Johnny and his team in the bar who serve afternoon tea and they of course have no recollection of one event weeks ago and all assure me they would always accept the request of a cup of tea over a glass of Prosecco. Obviously I am not suggesting you experience did not happen, but all I can now offer is an apology and an assurance that the whole team have been reminded to behave with common sense as opposed to one individual who possibly needs more intensive training.

I hope you Partner has made a full and complete recovery.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd stay at The Metropole, and second within a few months. Although an ageing building, it is decorated to a high standard and our room was clean, spacious with all the usual amenities, freeview flat screen TV, free wifi,Tea/Coffee making, hair dryer, complimentary shampoo/shower gell etc... and super king size very comfy bed.

The staff were very attentive, friendly and polite, particularly Vaughan one of the waiters, and the food was varied, well presented and to a very high standard. Both our visits were on organised events and we thought were very good value for money.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again next time we're in the area & both event organisers use the hotel regularly because of guest positive feedback.

• Stayed: September 2013
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Chunky, I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your visits to The Metropole this year. Vaughan is a delightful chap, very cheerful and a great example to all of his peers, I shall certainly make sure he sees your kind comments. I hope we will be welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards
Justin Baird Murray

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were visiting Llandrindod Wells on a Sunday and discovered all the recommended restaurants are doing so well they close on a Sunday evening. We were delighted to find that the biggest hotel in the town did however serve food so we booked. We arrived at this rather run down relic from the past which seemed to specialise in coach parties for the elderly and found a bistro which was reasonable. The only problem was that there was a faint odour of sewage pervading the corridors but we persisted to the bistro and had a reasonable meal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Billyboy, judging by your other reviews of your weekend in Wales it doesn't appear to have been a great success, which I'm sorry about. Aberdovey and Portmerion are generally delightful.

Obviously one visit for dinner cannot give you a feel of our overall customer base and we are in fact lucky to have many different market segments who make use of the hotel including the elderly and people who can't find anywhere else open. Everyone within reason is very welcome.

I would disagree that the hotel is a relic of the past. I, and my Father before me, have put many years of hard work maintaining the property and high standards of hospitality. The Brasserie in which you ate was part of £1.6 million project and only this year we did a small project to redevelop our lounge area which was very well received.

I am terribly sorry that there was an unpleasant odour. I was out on Sunday and did not return to the hotel until about 9.30pm and did not notice anything myself. I trust that you were well looked after in Spencers Brasserie and enjoyed a safe journey back to wherever you were staying.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Maesmawr Hall Hotel
Maesmawr Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Caersws

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!