“A fab stay”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed for two nights this week, with friends, and had a great time. The hotel is welcoming and food excellent. The fitness suite/swimming pool is lovely, and makes having the six course taster meal totally acceptable! - will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the back of the hotel, but this was fine... I get the impression all rooms are equal...
There are newer reviews for Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. I had feared walking into a gloomy relic from the past but the owners have clearly invested in keeping the hotel up to date.

The bar was bright and spacious, and the pricing about standard for a hotel - more expensive than local pubs but not quite outrageously so. The restaurant served really nice food, and I say this as somebody who normally steers well clear of hotel restaurants. There were three choices in each course which was quite limited, but what they did they did very well.

The bedroom was obviously recently decorated, everything was in good working order. The en-suite was very modern. The bed was comfortable. The only niggles were (1) the windows are not double glazed so external sounds (rain drumming onto the surface below) were barely muffled. (2) I had a room near a staircase and people were talking loudly outside my bedroom up until about 3am so sleep was difficult - but its hard to blame the hotel for their guests selfishness.

I would definitely stay again, but I would need to have a room as far from passing guests as possible.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near stairwells.
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for one night large twin room very comfy beds well lit (hate rooms with poor lighting) complimentary toiletries in the ensuite. Enjoyed dinner in lovely dining room and the breakfast next morning was exceptional very friendly helpful staff would love to return for longer stay

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed one night this weekend at the Metropole having previously stayed at beginning of September. We were slightly disappointed in our room this time as it was considerably smaller than our previous one and also not as modern. However it was clean and adequate for our night,s stay. The bathroom was newly refurbished I'd say. But it was rather cold as the only source of heating was the towel rail. These had to be taken off to warm the bathroom up and it wasn't a really cold night. This might be an issue in the middle of winter.
We ate in the brasserie and drank in the bar as we had done last time. This is a super area with lots of atmosphere and reasonably priced drinks for a hotel.

However we had an issue during the night as due to what must be thin walls the rugby players staying in the next room we talking rather loudly (to say the least) until 3.00am. In desperation to get some sleep my husband had to go down to reception ( no one answered the phone when we dialled 0) to ask for the noise to quietened. One phone call later and all was sorted- thank goodness. A suggestion might be a quiet after 12.30 policy ensuring all can sleep. That said we would still return to the hotel, but hope we weren't by a rugby team!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Brickie, thank you for your feedback following what was obviously not a spectacularly successful stay.

I am sorry you were disturbed by the young rugby players. Overall they were a very pleasant group of lads who caused no trouble in terms of over boisterous behaviour however as the Father of a 14 year old boy I do know how they can twitter on talking drivel to some ungodly hour. I do apologise, especially over the failure to raise a night porter when you rang down to reception.

We were much busier than on your previous visit and I am sorry you were disappointed by your bedroom. Our bedrooms do vary in size and I have made a note in guest history of your preferred room and will ensure that you have this on your next visit. Simply mention this when making your booking.

Many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to The Metropole in the near future.

Justin Baird-Murray

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We bought a deal from Travelzoo. The hotel exceeded our expectations in most respects: lovely spacious room, large comfortable super king bed, excellent service. The food is AA rosette so we were expecting something local and special. It looked lovely but the fish was overcooked and amongst the veg were baby sweetcorn and little beans which must have been flown in. We asked for a wake up call at 9am because breakfast service finished at 9.30. The call was forgotten and we made the meal by the skin of our teeth. Breakfast was very good: Excellent quality bacon and sausages.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Wilf,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us at The Metropole.

I am sorry there was a problem with your wake up call. This should not happen so please accept my apologies.

The use of local produce is something I have championed from long before it became fashionable and much of our produce is locally sourced. There are however some occasions when a compromise needs to be achieved simply because of the quantities we are using. For example in our garden we grow produce such as courgettes which we do not use huge amounts, however we simply do not have the space to grow carrots so we do have to rely on our local suppliers to provide these. It is about finding a balance and I hope we do that pretty well.

I hope we shall be welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future,

Justin Baird-MUrray

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked a one night stay with a 6 course taster Menu and full breakfast. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable with an excellent bathroom en suite that included a separate bath and shower.

The taster menu was excellent considering how busy the Hotel was with 'proper' guests. The only downside was that our fish course was slightly over cooked and therefore, rather dry. The steak was excellent as were the two savoury courses.

The breakfast was to die for. The choices were unending ranging from full English through Cereals to continental.

The service was unobtrusive whilst being excellent.

A most interesting stay as it was a little like going back in time to a more refined and gentile time. Extremely relaxing and very enjoyable. I would certainly recommend anyone to try The Metropole and to enjoy the food and the ambience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick C

Dear Nick,

Thank you for your helpful feedback following your stay with us. I have passed on your point about the fish course and we will address this.

I hope we shall be welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Justin Baird-Murray

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We've just returned from an overnight stay at The Metropole. We were there on one of their special offers, £99 with a 6 course taster dinner. Room and bathroom were spacious and clean; bed probably one of the best we've slept in, in a hotel. Dinner was very good, more than enough for us; but I suspect possibly not enough for a young man, (I'm thinking of my grandson here!!). Spa facilities were excellent. Staff extremely hard working and attentive. Will we return? definitely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Three Wells Hotel
Three Wells Hotel
#2 of 4 in Howey

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!