“Tempting taster menu, beautiful refurbishment & sumptuous spa”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Tempting taster menu, beautiful refurbishment & sumptuous spa”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The Metropole with my mother and daughter on a DBB basis.

The room was large with a modern bathroom, huge walk in shower and appeared freshly decorated. The bedroom had older furniture to fit the period of the hotel, a huge bed, big enough for all 3 of us and a cot was provided free of charge.

The spa facilities are free to use for guests with
towels & lockers provided. Adequate sized indoor heated pool, arm bands for little ones, jaquizzi and sauna. Beautifully finished throughout.

The restaurant served a 6 course taster menu. The starter was the weakest course, Tuscan bean soup, decent portion but it wasn't as refined as other courses. The fish was cooked perfectly, the beef rare and the goats cheese melted...perfect. Staff were polite and attentive throughout.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank HevNige
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Hevnige,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at The Metropole. Chef and I will have a chat about your comments regarding the soup which I have some sympathy with.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Reviewed 17 November 2013

A 4 star hotel in the old tradition. Yes, it is a bit of a rabbit warren, but what old, large hotel isn't? Its called 'Character'.
We had an 'Executive' room, which was very comfortable. A good sized room with a king size bed (or was it 2 singles zipped together?) and a small round table with 2 chairs. (plus the usual dressing table & tea making facility, of course) The bathroom was something else!!! A good sized bath AND a separate walk in shower that had a dual head - a big fixed drench head and a smaller one on a hose. Good temperature and water flow. We could have stayed in there for ages!
The food was as you'd expect from a 4* - well prepared and presented. Personally I don't like the 'haute cuisine' style - small portions artistically arranged on a large plate, but my partner assured me that it was excellent. (Although, it did leave room for all 3 courses, so maybe I need to change my eating habits....) For my second meal I went for a roast. Much more to my liking! Not too much china showing there! (But I did feel rather full...)
At breakfast I was that awkward customer that wanted poached eggs, not fried, with my full english. No problem - poached eggs provided very quickly, with a smile.
Fantastic old place, recently had a LOT of money spent on it on the inside, but it still needs more spent on the outside. Don't worry about the way the outside looks, the insides are sound!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Pete

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. Not everyone actually 'gets' what The Metropole is about and after an earlier feedback it was a pleasure to read feedback from someone who does.

I am delighted your request for poached eggs was a success. Lesley my breakfast chef is a pretty dap hand at poached eggs. Some hotels for some reason use vinegar in the poaching process which is a complete waste of time.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards
UK
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Not sure what other reviewers are raving about? I received a fairly standoffish welcome at reception was told my room was on the second floor, no directions and given that it is a rabbit warren of an hotel, it took some time to find my room. The room was ok, but not what I would have expected given the room rate! Beware of the stairs, they are steep and the tread is very narrow, not good if you have any infirmities, I ate in the bistro which was fine and the staff here were very attentive, in fact it felt as if they were overstaffed! Breakfast somewhat made up for the room and was of a good standard.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pedro00
Dear Pedro,

I think what the other reviewers are raving about is the fact that in an age when traditional hotels that employ people and contribute to the community have almost completely disappeared The Metropole continues to flourish as a family run hotel.

I am sorry if your welcome was less than warm, that is most unusual from the lovely team I have working on reception.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Found out about this place via the Travelzoo offer, which was fantastic value, and have been telling everyone about it since. We had a large room on the 3rd floor with an equally huge bathroom, a very comfy bed and a view over the park. The room was well laid out, with the desk tucked away round the corner so work didn't intrude TOO much! The taster menu was delicious, much better than I'd been expecting, frankly. It was great to be able to have a swim before supper in the well appointed spa. The staff were, without exception, helpful and friendly, a real credit to the place. As others have mentioned, the car park is vast and handily placed. This does mean there isn't much in the way of grounds, but in November this is hardly a problem! And anyway, this is a town centre hotel, not a country house. We really enjoyed our overnight stay, and wished we'd booked for longer. Difficult to think of any suggestions for improvements: bottled water and facecloths are the only things I can come up with.

2 Thank Billb0ard
Dear Bill,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and are passing this on to friends. Please encourage them to book directly though. All offers are available on our web site and by booking directly it saves us paying the massive commissions we have to pay to companies such as travel zoo, up to 25% in some cases!

The £99 offer will run through to the end of April and hopefully you will find the time for a return visit.

Thank you for your very kind comments

Bergerac
Reviewed 14 November 2013

A very lovely, large, Victorian privately owned hotel. We did the Travelzoo overnight break £99. Visited with our 2 spaniels. Received a warm welcome, lovely, quiet, warm corner room number 235. Big bedroom, comfy bed, large bathroom and everything spotless. The hotel is well maintained,warm, appropriately furnished, the staff very helpful and friendly. The restaurant is nicely decorated. The food is delicious. The 6 course dinner menu was an eye opener. Food well cooked, with soup, chicken terrine, sea bass, fillet steak followed by dessert. The English breakfast offering next morning was scrumptious and somewhat better than some other 4 or 5* establishments we have visited. Would highly recommend and will return, Travelzoo voucher or not. This hotel does not try to be something it's not. It's a friendly, cosy, efficient, appropriately furnished establishment with great staff and great food. Well done.

1 Thank Wendy D
Dear Fonclose,

What very kind clear feedback following your stay with us, thank you.

The £99 offer will continue to run through the winter and as I always say in my responses to feedback please book on our web site, it saves us a great deal in commission and enables up to continue to offer great deals.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to The Metropole.

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The staff were good, the rooms and facilities OK. The food was fairly good. Directions into the car park could be much better... not easy to find, given the car park is down a road behind the hotel.

My stay was fine, so would like to give it 3.5 stars, rather than 4. With some small changes, it could easily each 4 star.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank nanniebren
Dear Nanniebren,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay. The car park is quite large and at the rear of the hotel from which there are 2 entrances into the hotel. We do mention in our confirmations that the hotel is at the rear and there is a sign at the front of the hotel.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Let`s face it we came here because of a great on line offer.£99 for a superior room with 6 course taster menu,glass of champagne and full welsh breakfast.Was it good value - YES.Was the room good - Yeees.More 3star. plus than four star bedroom curtains frayed over radiator or more accurately almost melted.Rather small TV and no bottled water.Was the taster menu good- YES.The food and service were delightful and far exceeded our expectations.No criticism whatsoever.The glasses of wine that we chose to accompany the meal were excellent.Was the bar area and coffee good - YES. Again excellent service and coffee.Was the breakfast good yees to a point.Good service , other than tea and coffee which were served at the table in good quantities it was standard big hotel self service which is probably the best you can expect.
Overall this is a well run very large hotel in a sadly declining town which is doing an amazing job.My wife and I would happily come again and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor at the rear but I should think that it doesn`t matter where you stay.The...