“Better than we expected”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Cheshire
“Better than we expected”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We arrived on Sunday afternoon on a bargain break which included a 6 course Taster menu dinner . There was ample parking . This is an older hotel in the n=middle of town , we found the dark green pebbledash exterior somewhat off putting but as my husband said " what do you expect for £99 ?' . However our fear were quickly dispelled when we went in . The place was buzzing ( always a good sign on a wet Sunday afternoon ) . A smiling receptionist checked us in despite us arriving early & whilst the public area carpets etc may be in need of a refurb , our room 432 was excellent . The bathroom was 'like new' with separate walk in shower ( always a bonus ) & the bed very comfortable .The heating in our room wasn't working , someone arrived quickly , couldn't fix it, so a fan heater was provided. The dinner was delicious and the service very efficient. We didn't use the spa/ pool but it looked very inviting ! We would definitely stay at this hotel again .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Tripper Cheshire,

Thank you for you feedback following your stay at The Metropole and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have been here before but not for a few years! Anyways, we booked a break via an online deal which included evening meal and breakfast.

The staff throughout we're wonderful, from reception to the bar to restaurant, everyone so polite, helpful and kind.

The room was spacious, we were lucky as family and friends with us had smaller rooms, and had everything we needed either in the room or accessible via reception. The room had its own thermostat so even though it was a cold evening the room was toasty.

The food was out of this world! A 6 course taster menu with champagne - beautiful! Soup, chicken, sea bass, beef, crime brûlée and goats cheese to finish! Smaller portions but filling all the same!

The pool and spa was fantastic, a nice pool, gym, jacuzzi, sauna and treatment rooms. There is plenty to occupy your time or to help you relax!

All in all I can't fault this place, we had a wonderful weekend and will be going back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonni S
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear JonniSz,

I was very pleased to read that you had had a wonderful weekend at The Metropole. It is always worth checking our web site for special offers and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel is great and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Forgot to print out our travel zoo vouchers no problem, heating in room not working, quickly moved to a new room. We had a vegan with us for the taster meal, changes made to the meal in a flash. A truly lovely stay, we most certainly will return! The trip up from Abergavenny was stunning, a great location to explore a beautiful part of wales.

The taster meal was very nice , the fish was a bit dry but I am not a big fan of fish, the others in our party enjoyed it. Wine and drinks prices reasonable, and a very nice breakfast with lots of options.

Suggest you stay more than 1 night there is so much to see and do in the area.

Room Tip: Try a corner tower room for a great view
Dear RetiredRovers

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am sorry that there was a problem with your bedroom heating upon arrival but pleased the reception staff quickly dealt with the problem.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon, and please book directly through our web site, it saves s money and saves you having to remember a travel zoo voucher.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Despite external appearances (dreadful green rendering) this is a lovely hotel with just the right combination of old world charm, combined with fresh clean decor and good facilities. The pool was big enough to swim in and lovely hot whirlpool and sauna. We really enjoyed the 6-course taster menu and unlike previous guests we liked the Tuscan bean soup (gorgeous fresh bread) as much as the other courses. Breakfast was also first rate. The hotel was well-staffed both in terms of numbers and courteous efficiency. Hotels like this deserve to do well and we would highly recommend.

Dear June,

I am sorry that you did not like our green exterior. My Father painted the hotel green in the early 70's when he removed the Ivy from the back of the hotel. It is hard to know what other colour one could paint such a huge building without it not being to somebodies taste so green it will probably remain. Unless I get some really sound advice or very cheap paint!

I am pleased you like the soup, and of course the bread which is made by Artisan baker, Alex Gouch, in Hay on Wye. It is fantastic bread.

I am lucky to have a wonderful team working in The Metropole and I am pleased they contributed to your enjoyable stay.

I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My sister and I stayed at The Metropole for one night on a special offer of £99 for both of us. This included overnight stay, use of the spa, a six course taster meal with a glass of champagne and full welsh breakfast. Couldn't fault it! We mad full use of the gym and spa which was really quiet - had the gym and pool to ourselves at times. The taster menu was gorgeous - loved every course. The breakfast was also faultless and the staff were really attentive. The room was really comfortable and had a big bathroom and tea/coffee making facilities. It was a real treat and we will definitely return and recommend to our friends. Thank you to everyone for making our stay so relaxing and enjoyable.

1 Thank Jane_E_Young
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Jane,

Delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and would be delighted to welcome you and your friends back soon. The £99 offer remains available on our web site and is the best way to book.

Hope we will see you back at The Metropole soon.

Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The Metropole with my mother and daughter on a DBB basis.

The room was large with a modern bathroom, huge walk in shower and appeared freshly decorated. The bedroom had older furniture to fit the period of the hotel, a huge bed, big enough for all 3 of us and a cot was provided free of charge.

The spa facilities are free to use for guests with
towels & lockers provided. Adequate sized indoor heated pool, arm bands for little ones, jaquizzi and sauna. Beautifully finished throughout.

The restaurant served a 6 course taster menu. The starter was the weakest course, Tuscan bean soup, decent portion but it wasn't as refined as other courses. The fish was cooked perfectly, the beef rare and the goats cheese melted...perfect. Staff were polite and attentive throughout.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank HevNige
Dear Hevnige,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at The Metropole. Chef and I will have a chat about your comments regarding the soup which I have some sympathy with.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

A 4 star hotel in the old tradition. Yes, it is a bit of a rabbit warren, but what old, large hotel isn't? Its called 'Character'.
We had an 'Executive' room, which was very comfortable. A good sized room with a king size bed (or was it 2 singles zipped together?) and a small round table with 2 chairs. (plus the usual dressing table & tea making facility, of course) The bathroom was something else!!! A good sized bath AND a separate walk in shower that had a dual head - a big fixed drench head and a smaller one on a hose. Good temperature and water flow. We could have stayed in there for ages!
The food was as you'd expect from a 4* - well prepared and presented. Personally I don't like the 'haute cuisine' style - small portions artistically arranged on a large plate, but my partner assured me that it was excellent. (Although, it did leave room for all 3 courses, so maybe I need to change my eating habits....) For my second meal I went for a roast. Much more to my liking! Not too much china showing there! (But I did feel rather full...)
At breakfast I was that awkward customer that wanted poached eggs, not fried, with my full english. No problem - poached eggs provided very quickly, with a smile.
Fantastic old place, recently had a LOT of money spent on it on the inside, but it still needs more spent on the outside. Don't worry about the way the outside looks, the insides are sound!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Pete

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. Not everyone actually 'gets' what The Metropole is about and after an earlier feedback it was a pleasure to read feedback from someone who does.

I am delighted your request for poached eggs was a success. Lesley my breakfast chef is a pretty dap hand at poached eggs. Some hotels for some reason use vinegar in the poaching process which is a complete waste of time.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Cedars Guest House
Cedars Guest House
#2 of 3 in Builth Wells

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!