“4th visit and booked another! top notch! fab food. spa rip off!”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
south wales
“4th visit and booked another! top notch! fab food. spa rip off!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Excellent food and service, wye room fantastic, super swim+Jacuzzi. Party 14 all served hot fab food. Breakfast top quality. Only gripe i had a massage last visit £20 ish. Had one this time, didnt check price as thought was ok last time! My friend who had already booked in said u get 35% disc if u go an hr later! The 25min massage was £50! !!! I said can i get the disc or rebook for later, was told no! So was rather annoyed with being so blatently ripped off. Disappointing! Emailed the spa! No reply! Shame! My fault?... or was that extortionate???

Room Tip: Wye or tower
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Rocky,

I am sorry that you felt let down by your spa experience. It does appear that there was an element of inflexability about how you were treated and this is not how I like things to operate.

I know you are visiting again in January and we will shall endeavour to make up for our shortcomings on your that visit. Please accept my apologies.

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was a birthday present and well worth it. We had a voucher for one night stay and tasting menu. Check in was easy the room was big, the bed was huge(!) and very comfortable, the shower , modern, clean and powerful. The food was delicious and it was a treat to have something so different from the usual. Breakfast was cooked to order and very tasty.
On the negative side atmosphere was a bit dull and the newspaper we ordered was not, in fact, ordered.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
hereford
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Hotel Metropole will tick all your boxes .This is the second time we have been here in the last few weeks and it was excellent on both occasions.This time we opted to dine in the restaurant. The service was flawless - courteous, warm and polite. The food was excellent , every course delicious! The table was laid beautifully and everything on the table was sparkling clean. We all had the Christmas lunch . It was excellent on all counts. Everywhere in this hotel is clean. They work very hard at this hotel and it shows!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear HerefordRitzy

Thank you for your very kind feedback. I am very fortunate to have an excellent team of very hardworking staff and it is very nice you to highlight there contribution.

I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Metropole again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have driven past the Metropole dozens of times but never stopped or stayed. We saw a Travelzoo offer and decided that this was the time to find out. What a great offer!.
The green painted exterior doesn't do it any favours i'm afraid, but once inside it's all forgotten. Plenty of parking at the rear of the hotel which is not obvious from the front. There is access from the car park with a lift also. Warm friendly welcome. Nice room, spacious and great bathroom with separate shower. We had tea and cake in the bar which was served by a nice friendly member of staff - nothing was too much trouble. We enjoyed the 6 course taster menu very much - excellent. Breakfast was brilliant - plenty to choose from. Tasty food using local produce. This hotel has been in the same family for many, many years. This is an old Victorian Spa town with some nice architecture with a picturesque lake. Good area for walking and is also near the Elan Valley reservoir which supplies Birmingham's water - by gravity !. Great scenery abounds in these parts. Llandrindod Wells also has a train station - on the beautiful Heart of Wales line from Shrewsbury to Swansea. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BenBrierley
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Mr Brierley

Delighted to read you enjoyed your stay on the Metropole offer we sell through our website and online agent Travel Zoo.

Lesley, my breakfast chef will be delighted at your assessment of the breakfast she provided. She is a great asset to the hotel and deserves all the praise for a 'brilliant' breakfast.

There is a sign on the Iron work at the front of the hotel directing people around the square to the rear of the hotel for our car park, but I appreciate that in the excitement of arriving this can be missed.

You are right about the wonderful scenery that abounds and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon. I would encourage you to book directly on our website as this saves the high commission charged by agents.

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I booked this to celebrate my mum's 80th - trying to find something that would suit three generations was always going to be tricky! Especially as my parents are very well travelled and rather fussy. I needn't have worried - this one-night stay was a wonderful experience for every member of the group.
The evening meal was superb, breakfast was wonderful, the rooms were beautiful. And, on top of all that, the staff actually made us feel as if they valued our custom.
Although I'd mentioned it was for an 80th birthday, I hadn't asked for any special treatment but, upon arrival, we found mum's room had been upgraded to a suite - such a lovely gesture on the part of the hotel and very much appreciated.
Mum was a tad nervous about her first trip to a spa - a bit of bonding for mother, daughter and granddaughter - but was overwhelmed at how kind and thoughtful the spa staff were (Tooty in particular was fabulous). She thoroughly enjoyed her manicure (despite the chair being a little uncomfortable for an hour's treatment), and was so touched that the nail she chipped just before leaving was promptly repaired. I suspect she'll now want to do this on a regular basis :-)
For my part, having got this on a Travelzoo voucher, I cannot get over how little I paid for such a wonderful, relaxing stay. Excellent, excellent value for money - a stay here would be worth the normal rates and I have no doubt we will return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mandy,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and most especially your Spa experience. I was aware that you were in the Spa as word did go around the hotel that you were all enjoying yourselves.

I hope that we will be able to tempt you back in the near future and look forward to meeting with you on that occasion.

wales
Reviewed 28 November 2013

First time to use a travelzoo offer. Great DBB offer 5 courses ( no choice but high standard local food for many courses and v filling ) and glass bubbly £50 pp. great value , quirky comfortable and surprisingly large hotel. First visit to the town for us , enjoyable hour walking around , quaint .
Ideal for 1 nt. Good parking at the back of hotel not obvious from the front of hotel. My only gripe lots of different staff served us pleasant staff but no obvious leadership, as soon as one course over next appeared within a few minutes , not ideal when so many courses. We wouldn't put our fork down by 3rd course to slow the pace , worked ish kept being asked had we finished , we kept having to repeat our wish to slow down otherwise we would have finished the 5 courses in less than 45 mins !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Anyonethere,

I am was very pleased to read that you enjoyed The Metropole offer that you purchased through Travel Zoo. As an agent Travel Zoo takes a commission payment from us on the £50 pp hence my encouragement of readers and reviewers to use our web site to make bookings.

I am sorry that you found the meal passed to quickly but hope that you enjoyed the quality of the food. I do remind staff that the dining experience is about managing the speed of service, clearly something we did not get right for you. I am sorry.

As well as a pleasant town the surrounding area has many wonderful attractions such as the Elan Valley, Abbeycwmhir Hall and nearby Hay on Wye. I do hope that you will be able to return and visit some of these.

Thank you for you thoughts following your stay

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Had a beautifully relaxing over night stay. Staff were exceptionally friendly and on hand for any issues. Comfortable bed, lovely sleep. Will consider another visit soon. Can recommend the food here too. Absolutely delicious.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Victoria,

Delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Metropole and hope we shall be able to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!