“Charming & traditional”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay taking advantage of the £99 Travel Zoo deal. What a bargain!

We made full use of the swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room & sauna, which was a lovely way to spend a wet weekday afternoon in January (good changing room facilities). Just wish I'd booked a treatment as well.

Our room was spacious and warm. Lovely, comfortable big bed with crisp white linens. Sensibly, a dressing table by the window and a really good hairdryer within reach. The bathroom was clean and modern with a super shower area, lashings of hot water and plenty of thick white towels.

The 6 course taster menu was varied & delicious & included a glass of bubbly. We particularly enjoyed the baked goats cheese. We also had a very nice bottle of Rioja which was well priced. Breakfast was another excellent spread with lots of lovely local options. My only criticism would be that the choice of bread for toast (white or brown sliced) was uninspiring.

The hotel is huge for such a small town and parts of it are a little dated, however, this all adds to the charm. There were fresh tulips & hyacinths on the landing which smelt gorgeous - a small touch, but I appreciated it.

We had good food & a good night's sleep, the staff were all friendly and attentive and the leisure facilities are an added bonus. What's not to like?

Before we came back we visited the Elan Valley, just a few miles away. Well worth it after all the rain - I've never seen such torrents coming over the dams before!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Ludlowlife,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us. I hope that on your next visit you will find the time to enjoy a pampering treatment in The Rock Spa.

The Elan Vally is quite spectacular at the moment, about the only positive thing I can think of about the lashings of rain we have enjoyed recently..

We look forward to welcoming you back,

JUstin Baird-Murray

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here using a voucher offer, a nights stay, breakfast and 7 course sampling menu.

The hotel may be worn in places but our room was modern, the bed was comfy and we slept well. The evening meal and breakfast were both great.

We used the gym and pool facilities which were also good.

The only issue we had was with reception on arrival as they had cocked up our meal booking and it took them a long time to sort their mistake out instead of taking our word on the matter, which didn't start things off well.

In general we were happy with our stay at the deal price.

We also eat lunch in the bar at the front of the hotel, that food wasn't so good and a overpriced.

We stayed here Dec '12

Please hit 'YES' if you found this helpful

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Woody,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us before Christmas. I am sorry that you had a problem with your restaurant booking and that it was not resolved as smoothly as you or I would have hoped. I have passed on your comments to the reception team and I am sure the will react positively.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Large old fashioned hotel that dominates the high street in this little grey town...
With the exception of the bar, the reception, restaurant & all public areas of the hotel are very tired looking & dreary.
The double bedroom was slightly more up to date but as the room was small, the two single beds that were zipped together were wider than they were long, so our feet hung over the bottom edge of the bed!
However, the food in the restaurant was very good, both dinner & breakfast.

Dear Deborah,

I am delighted that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant but can agree with little else that you write.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Obviously it was a very grand hotel in its day, creaky old wooden staircase, monogrammed carpet and grand oil paintings. Its been modernised and decorated but its still a tad dated…but don’t let that put you off - its perfectly nice and better than your average hotel in these parts. The staff we encountered were very obliging. Our bedroom was large and the bathroom (shower room) was modern and clean. A selection of teas was a nice touch (but longlife milk) and the bed was super kingsize and very comfortable. Two issues…the room was a little cold and dark (even though the thermostat was up at max) and the bathroom light and fan had a movement sensor so only came on as soon as you opened the door….which meant the fan came on and stayed on for ages. Not a huge problem but if you wanted to use the bathroom quietly in the night, on came the light ...and the fan….! We had a special deal of "tasting menu", B&B and it was brilliant value £99 plus £10 each for picking a weekend. We used the pool, sauna and steam room - all included and I used the spa which was good - just how you'd like it. Calm, serene and tucked away. The tasting menu is a grand title for "set menu" because that was basically all it was although it did include a complimentary glass of champagne. The ingredients were fine, the food was ok if a little uninspiring, cooked adequately and presented well, although I did think my beef had been left under a heat lamp too long, it was well done (I'd prefer medium rare) and the jus was welded to the plate. It wasn't bad, just a bit tired. Again, don't be put off - I am a very fussy food snob and some people would think this was good. The restaurant was busy afterall. Would we stay here again - yes if in the area. Would we take advantage of this offer - definitely - you can't go wrong. Oh and the breakfast the following morning was very good - generous, freshly cooked and scrummy.

Room Tip: Our room was 203. As I said it was a little dark and cool but it was a good size and I wouldn't...
3  Thank Duddlydoright

Dear Duddly,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am not entirely convinced the hotel was any grander when Great Granny finished building it than it is today, just a grander time in which they lived. In those days each floor had about 60 small bedrooms and shared 6 bathrooms and 4 loos. My Father began and completed the process of making all bedrooms ensuite in the 1970's and I have recently been further upgrading the bathrooms and bedrooms so we are now down to 108 bedrooms from a peak of 240.

I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed the Spa and in particular the new relaxation and treatment rooms we added last year.

I hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed last night with my wife, yet another of the £99 specials on travelzoo. What a bargain. We didn't really expect much and were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The room was large and comfortable as we made full use of the pool and gym facilities. Dinner and breakfast were excellent. We will return.
One downside of our room (118) was a very thin door, all the goings on in the corridor were as if they were in the room with us. Got woken early as a result.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of a corridor so no one passes waking you up. Thin doors.
1  Thank Reeveew

Dear Reeveew

Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. The offer is indeed a great offer and I would encourage all potential guests to please book direct with the hotel to save on our commission costs to online agents which will ultimately lead to higher prices.

All doors are superior fire doors as required in a hotel by building control. I am sorry however if you found the movement of fellow guests disturbing. I hope you will return and please request a room such as 115 or 114 at the end of a corridor which I am sure you will like.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Like a number of reviewers we took a Travelzoo offer at £99 for 2. We chose this hotel as we were meeting friends from Cardiff so mid Wales was good spot.

We were glad we did.

Everything was very good.

From the receptionist (Sophie) to the bedroom (everything you needed for an overnight - even got good reception from the TV!) to the 6 course excellent taster meal (including a glass of fizz) to the wide choice for breakfast.

I understand comments about the outside but after all it is an old Victorian hotel. Tip: if you cannot find the car park -( in old hotels nearly always located at the rear) join the 21st century & Google Earth it (or just ring reception!)

Tempted not to say good value for money as the owner may put up the price!!

Llan is small country town with not a lot going for it ( although it was belting down with rain which didn't help) except for superb walks not far away eg. Elan valley.

Very nice overnight.

Room Tip: We had room 431 as we requested a quiet spot
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Visitor-Uk,

Thank you for your very constructive feedback following your recent stay with us. Interestingly I have just returned from a meeting with the Area Lands Manager of the Elan Valley. It really is a wonderful location with so much to offer the visitor to mid-Wales. The visitor centre is now open every day of the year excluding Christmas day which is to be applauded and encouraged if we wish to attract more visitors to our beautiful countryside.

Booking directly with the hotel is the best way to keep rates low. Commission rates are one of the biggest costs we have so I would encourage all readers to contact us directly by phone or through or web site for all our best offers.

I hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon and thank you for your wise words relating to the car park.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. Agree that the first impression of the hotel is not brilliant - it is certainly not an idyllic external facade and the flowery wallpaper along the entrance hall fills the visitor with a sense of foreboding, but give it a chance and like us I am sure you will soon be won over. The staff throughout the hotel are friendly and the service is brilliant. The food is amazing, the spa and treatments (of which I had 2!) were lovely and our room was much bigger than most hotels I have stayed in with a newly refurbed bathroom.

We had booked the hotel using a special offer voucher and we certainly got value for money.

Room Tip: Try the 6 course tater menu - Amazing value
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Hutch,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us. Of course mid winter does the facade of the old building no favours. Once the Spring comes everything begins to look a little bit more welcoming. We will be repainting the front of the hotel in March and retaining the infamous green paint.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Owner.

#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Three Wells Hotel
Three Wells Hotel
#2 of 4 in Howey

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!