“Wonderful Stay - Only one Problem”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Malvern, England
“Wonderful Stay - Only one Problem”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed for one night on a special price. We were upgraded to an executive room in one of the towers which was lovely. A separate sitting room, a big 4 poster bed. The bath was a little tired. The Spa area was a real treat with a lovely swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi etc with very attentive staff. (I would suggest they put costume driers in the changing rooms like others of their class) The 6 course tasting menu in the restaurant was exceptional with a beef course to die for. All the staff, and there are lots of them, were brilliant. The only one problem was at breakfast - the hot buffet was not hot ! (We generally do not like hot buffets because food can get stale ). We did not make a fuss because it's obviously not the norm. We really look forward to having another special offer to stay here. We loved the flyer on the tables which tells you who their food suppliers are locally.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay. I am sorry that you found the buffet 'not hot'. There is no excuse for this as the equipment all works and is designed to keep food hot and the plates are also warm. I'll make sure that nothing is amiss with the equipment and have a chat with the breakfast team.

I am pleased the staff were brilliant and that you enjoyed your tower room. It is the final tower room that has not yet had the bathroom upgraded, mainly because one has to finish somewhere, and because it has such a lovely 4 poster bed it was deemed the best bedroom when we began the refurbishment of our 122 bedrooms and bathrooms and we started with the worst and finished with the best.

I hope we shall be able to welcome you back soon by which time I hope to have completed the small number of rooms remaining.

Kind regards
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Bourne End, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We have stayed at the Metropole every year for the past 15 years and very much enjoy the facilities. The staff are welcoming and very helpful - nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are cleaned to a high standard. We usually have a family room and have stayed on various floors and in numerous rooms. There are no views, as such, either the rear car park or park at the front. We have witnessed the hotel transform over the years and it is an excellent place to stay with superb facilities. The spa is very nice, particularly after a long day, also very clean. We normally attend a huge dinner on the Saturday night and it must be like a military operation behind the scenes. 350 guests are fed a 3 course meal, plus coffee. The plates are hot, the food is hot and wonderfully cooked. We could not fault this hotel - thank you for all the years that you have served us. See you again next year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire R
Dear Claire

Thank you for your very kind feedback following your recent stay with the VSCC Edwardian Division. We always love this weekend because we see it as the end of winter and the start of our summer. It is also great to have so many regular visitors who have seen the hotel develop over the years. Rather like your old cars we have to look after her pretty well.

We of course look forward to welcoming you back again in 2015 if not before.

Aberystwyth
Reviewed 1 April 2014

To put this review into context my wife and I stayed for only one night, however, from our experience a longer stay would have been welcome. We both used the swimming pool and spa facilities which were a very good standard. My wife had a massage which was enjoyable and relaxing, 55 minutes cost £65.

The room was simply adequate with a good size bathroom. The evening meal was beautifully cooked and presented The breakfast was the usual mix of continental, cereals and buffet style cooked breakfast.

All the staff were friendly and helpful and provided a first rate service, nothing was too much trouble.

Although it did not affect us we did find the Internet connection to be intermittent which might be a problem for business users if this is a regular occurrence.

Dear meandsue,

Thank you for your feedback and your comments about the wifi. We have recently had an upgrade to our wifi software which is clearly not effective. I am told that it has something to do with cookies and having to make guests aware of this. It's a nuisance and you are not the first to tell me so. I am working to restore our old system and if I cannot will find a new supplier.

I am pleased that the rest of you stay was enjoyable and that Sue enjoyed the Spa facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay,

Kind regards
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here for 1 night with 6 course taster menu on 27th March 2014. Not going to write a long review, but overall, room was spacious, with modernisation throughout, food was delicious and served with perfection. Staff friendly and very helpful. Spa was relaxing (were the only ones in there). Credit to the management and staff, without you, it will be just a building. Perfect base for us as we set off quite early to the Elan Valley. Will book again. Thank you.
Roberto

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Linaker2012
Dear Roberto,

Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay at the Metropole and I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

wales
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband and I stayed 1 night after purchasing the 'Travel Zoo' offer for £99. We were made very welcome from the moment we arrived. Our executive room was gorgeous, immaculately clean and very spacious. In the afternoon we thought we'd try out the indoor heated swimming pool, it was great! We also made use of the sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. We met a local mother & daughter whilst in the Jacuzzi, who were really friendly and gave a lots of useful advice about the benefits of the sauna & steam room, thanks. In the evening we were treated to a 6 course taster meal, it was fantastic, included sea bass, fillet steak, warm goats cheese and chocolate brownie, yummy it was too. In the morning we enjoyed a full Welsh breakfast, this set us up for the day. All the staff were helpful, friendly and happy, thank you Metropole, for a very enjoyable stay.

Dear Kazzy,

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay and in particular that you had been so warmly welcomed by local members of our Spa.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

East Sussex
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I travelled here with my lovely firend on a Travelzoo deal. We wanted a place that was the same distance for both of us, her from Lancs and me from Sussex, where we could get away from it all, chill out, spoil ourselves and enjoy some nice food.

There is no getting away from the fact that our room was tired and dated, and I am not writing anything here that I have not already communicated to The Manager/Owner. We had also been put in a disabled room, which admittedly had 2 bathrooms, but one looked and smelt like a care home and the other had woodchip on the walls and ceiling and strip lighting that resembled a 1970s kitchen. The wifi was really poor and next to useless and there is minimal phone reception. This was also the noisiest hotel room I have ever stayed in.

HOWEVER.....
Despite these negatives, we had a wonderful time. The food was excellent, well presented and lovely flavours, the champagne that came with our tasting menu, was smooth and crisp and not too fizzy, just how I like it and it really was Champagne and not just sparkling wine! My steak was too well done and there was no fuss over changing it, My only criticism here is that it was far too rushed for a gourmet dinner. Had we not asked for a break we would have been in and out in 45 minutes, the last sitting is also rather early compared to that I have experienced in other hotels.

The Spa treatment was excellent and the girls who did our massage were professional and efficient. The Pool was great except for a family of men who insisted playing ball and that was not great for relaxing when you had to keep dodging a ball. There could have been a few more loungers too, 3 had been bagged in the package holiday style, which only left 1.

The car park is hard to find and as the hotel is currently having some work done it was not so obvious to spot. The management are hoping to get a better sign for the car park.

There is no doubt this was value for money and the beds were so comfortable. There was an excellent amount of storage in our room too, but the hairdryer was useless.

There is a rennovation programme going on and if the pictures on the website are an indication of how the whole hotel is going to be, it wil be fabulous. The carpets in the public areas could do with a clean. but it was well vaccumed. We didn't see any of the rennovations ,as these were not going on our floor.

I will definitely go back and was very pleased with the owner/manager's reply to my comments about our room.

The rating for rooms I give below is only based on the room I had and should be taken on board along with all the positives.

This would be a great base for walking and cyclying/mountain biking.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Have passed this hotel many a time on way to South Wales but never been in until we took up the 6 course taster dinner ,bed and breakfast deal. Very helpful staff in all departments and our room was wellappointed. The taster menu was outstanding and all in all an excellent deal. The spa area spotlessly clean and staff who worked there offered good guidance on usage. The only slight problem was intermittent wi-fi but we assume that haotel has little control over that.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Wales,

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that our offer tempted you over our doorstep after many years of passing by.

I hope that it will not be last time and look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!