“Relaxing Weekend”

Metropole Hotel
Brecon, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

After the sad loss of a family member, we decided to have a weekend away. Booking in could not have been more friendly and efficient. Our room was spacious, well decorated and spotlessly clean. The staff were delightful in all areas of the hotel; restaurant, bar and brasserie.We relaxed in the pool area and again everything was efficient and spotless.I have visited " The Met" many times and this refurbished hotel was as always a pleasure .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Cariad,

Thank you for your very positive feedback and I am delighted we were able to offer you a haven at a difficult personal time.
We look forward to welcoming you back at happier times in the future.
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed as a group of 9 for 2 nights.
Front of house staff very polite and helpful.My mother was very quickly moved to a room with a walk in shower which was easier for her. This was not a problem at all.Each one of our 3 rooms was superbly decorated with lovely bathrooms.
Each bedroom was absolutely spotless. I really don't know how they manage to do this.Even the sink plugs and light switch plates were smudge free and looked as though they were polished! Lovely soft big towels too.The spa was of the same quality a shame the steam room wasn't working this weekend, but these things happen!
We dined in the restaurant the first night. The service and food was excellent.The expresso coffee served from the bar is to be avoided I am sorry to say. It filled a coffee cup and was very watery and not at all like an espresso.Breakfast was excellent quality and very good choice.The filter coffee here was fine.
I would recommend the food in the restaurant over the Brasserie even though the restaurant is a little more expensive it is well worth it for the quality and value.
There is a very weak 3G connection at the Metropole , so if you need a connection it's quite important that the wifi works. We found that we were not able to connect to wifi from our room for more than a few minutes at a time. We did mention it to the front desk , but it remained the same for the weekend. I was told however that a stronger signal could be obtained in the bar.
I have mentioned a few niggles here but only because the hotel was so excellent and I can't really find anything else to improve! Highly recommended

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Noshortcuts
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Noshortcuts,

Thank you for the very kind comments that you have made about your stay at The Metropole. We have very recently had a new computer system installed at the hotel which has added to the pressure on all departments of the hotel so it is doubly pleasing to read that you were well looked after.

The housekeeping team really are tremendous and I agree with you that they do a really fantastic job. It is a great credit to Caroline the head house keeper and I shall make sure that she and the team are aware of your very kind feedback.

We are hoping that pressure from campaign groups in the town will see Welsh Government but pressure on the mobile signal providers to provide a better service to the whole of rural mid Wales. As to our own free wifi I am sorry you had a problem. I know some Apple products can be temperamental with our wifi from my own experiences with phone and Ipad but I am working with our provider to over come this. Encouraging news is the super fast broadband should be installed in Llandrindod Wells by December.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Metropole again soon,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel room itself was fine. But our room was on the street side with some drunks making noise. Service was good. Breakfast was full Welsh. I did not care for the bathroom as the lights and fan were on an automated timer and would stay on for a time after using. It was hard to use it at night without waking my husband who is a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the street side.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lindalee S
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Lindalee,

I am sorry you had a disappointing stay due to a disturbance in the street. Sadly these things can happen in any town hotel. I hope it will not but you off returning. I can assure you it is a very unusual occurrence.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed for one night as part of a coach party. I've stayed in some places on coach breaks where they put you in rooms in need of redecorating and refreshing whilst the better rooms go to 'full paying' guests. That didn't happen at the Metropole. Our room was beautifully decorated and really bright and clean. There was no mould at all in the bathroom. The bed was firm but comfortable and the linen clean and soft. We were at the back of the hotel and it was really quiet. The waiting staff were very attentive and polite although the restaurant was very hot at dinner - could have done with some open windows. Breakfast caters for everyone (even a fussy vegetarian). One more thing about the room, it has a dressing table and mirror with really good lighting! All in all a very pleasant night spent at the Metropole.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BidBod44
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Bidbod

I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay at The Metropole. I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for a short break (2 days) in a family room. The room was clean,spacious and facilities good. Evening meal was excellent value for money. The breakfast was also good. The only minor gripes were many of the catering folk spoke little English and front of house staff were helpful but not well informed. The Spa facilities were brilliant!!
Would definitely stay there again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back of hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jane l
Dear Jane

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us and I was very pleased you enjoyed the Spa facilities and would return to the hotel. I will of course investigate the staffing issues you mentioned.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had booked a Valentines deal via the website for the taster menu, champagne and stay. Unfortunately we broke down on the way, and because of the awful weather there was a huge wait on the breakdown recovery. What was worse was the fact the problem couldn't be resolved and we needed to be towed to a garage and a different car arranged. We'd phoned ahead just to confirm we were coming but of our troubles. Unfortunately by the time we'd got there the restraint had stopped serving - but to our delight they honoured our deal and because we'd missed the 6 course taster menu, let us have food in the bistro instead - along with the champagne! But in a wonderfully nice touch, the diners who we sat next to turned around and introduced themselves. It was Justin, the owner/manager! He not only knew who we were but offered his sympathies and made us feel so welcome - it was a truly fantastic touch.

We've stayed a number of times before and will continue to keep coming! A wonderful hotel, top class food and fantastic staff!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonni S
Dear Jonni,

How very kind of you to add such nice comments on Tripadvisor following your stay with us. I am delighted we were able to look after you so well and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Metropole again soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited this hotel for two nights and was slightly disappointed as this has been graded a four star hotel. The overall impression was the hotel was very tired looking and needed a bit of a make over. It was like stepping back in time. However we were greeted by friendly staff. We ate in the bistro twice. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The room was ok but again very tired. I was woken up both mornings by the emptying of the bottles into the bin. I would expect this to be done later in the day so at least everyone is awake not at 8am!.

Room Tip: Dont have a room at the back of the hotel near the bins!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicki C
Dear Nicki,

I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and dinner in the Brasserie excellent. It is difficult to comment with some of your reflections on the state of the hotel as it is very personal to me as the owner. We are continually investing in the hotel and I think that given the nature of our location and building we do pretty well to keep the hotel in such good order. I agree with your comments about the bottle emptying and will speak to Jeff the cellar man.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!