“Great food!”

Glen Usk Hotel
Bathgate, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I wonder just what some people expect for their money!! We recently stayed in this hotel while on a coach tour. Despite what is thought of pensioners, we are there to have a good time. If it wasn't for these coach tours, many hotels would not survive. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. The bedroom, although needing decorated, was clean and comfortable. The food was excellent, good choice, well cooked and hot. We would happily return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the public gardens t the front of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 181Margaret181
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Helen and her team who will be pleased to read them.

Thank you once again for your custom and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Hubby & I stayed here for one night this weekend (hoping we are not some of the pensioners Trevor F spoke of in his review as we are way below pensionable age!). Having visited tripadvisor beforehand to get the low down, we knew what to expect. Despite that, we had one or two issues: noise from the entertainer (who was performing in the basement) could still be heard quite clearly on the first floor (room 113) and it was 10.45pm before it all went quiet and although the water was piping hot for a bath in the evening - it was cool/tepid for the morning shower (brrrr!).
Like others have said, its a little shabby around the edges with peeling paper, scuff marks on the wall and ancient TVs, but the beds were really comfy and the bedding clean and we were there only for one night - I might need a few more luxuries if there a bit longer.
Other entertainment on offer, included the fact we had a sloping bedroom floor -so I was constantly rescuing items that rolled off the units if not secured as well as a "signed drawer" by ET circa 1985!
Finally, I'm sure I read in a past post that there are none of the little extras you expect in many hotels (like shampoo, bath/shower gel etc) so I took some and I would advise you to do the same as they only soap.

Room Tip: Check how far sound travels from the basement/lounge if you want a quiet room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gill S
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regading your stay at the hotel. Some of the rooms are traditional in decor but we make sure they are clean and the staff are friendly, and offer good value for money. I am sorry to read that you were disturbed by the entertainment. We take on board all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The Hotel has opbviously been there for many years and certain aspects of its internals and externals demonstrate this. It appears popular with Coach travellers as there were two cachloads of pensioners there on the night I stayed. If you like heat no problem as the controls were missing off the radiator. Duvet on single bed same size as bed so kept on losing it overnight possibly because of poor sleep and having to leave window open to get some air even though it was frosty outside!
For the price and a bed for the night it was reasonable value but a premier Inn at a similar rural price would have been so much better.
Breakfast was fine and coffee was drinkable.

Room Tip: Get there early if you want a parking space especially if coach arties are about!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Trevor F
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for comments regarding your stay at the hotel. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occassion. I am pleased you found the accommodation clean and it offered good value for money. Some of our competitors do offer an excellent bedroom product in term of decor but we pride ourselves on excellent hospitality, good food, friendly service and clean rooms. I take on board your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Norwich UK
Reviewed 19 November 2012

A two night stay while attending an AGM meeting. Single room , quite good facilities. I arrived on my bike very cold and wet and the bath was just what was needed. Bike was stored safely in the TV lounge, which was a bit odd. General areas a bit tired and worn. Very limited lift system. Seems to be popular with coach parties - but it was very good at a very modest price - suited me down to the ground

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank fidgetbuzz
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found that it offered excellent value for money. We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Greater Manchester
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My friend and I have just returned after a 1 night stay @ the Glen Usk Hotel. We were greeted by a friendly member of staff-each and every one made us welcome & nothing was too much trouble.
In the public areas the decoration was acceptable but sadly the bedroom was stuck in a "Time Warp", however, it was clean, comfortable and we both had a good night sleep.
The meals were freshly cooked and very good.
For what we paid we got value for money.
In the economic climate you have to fill a Hotel of that size to have the money to make improvements.
I/we would still revisit the Glen Usk.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pat S
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the hotel. I pleased that you found the accommodation to offer good value for money. I have passed your kind words regaridng the friendliness of the staff to the hotel including your comments regarding the food. All our food is cooked from fresh ingredients and our chef has worked at the hotel for many years and is very experienced. We will look forward to welcoming you again.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The hotel is like the town (Llandrindod Wells) it is charming and quiet. The hotel is very Victorian, it has an atmosphere of gentle manners and past glories. Like the town it sits in, it could do with some money spending on it, but please don,t modernise it. The rooms are spacious and clean, towels and bedding are clean, although there are scuff marks on some paintwork and carpets that could do with renewing, it all adds o the charm.
We stayed for two nights, the food was excellent with a good choice on the menu, the staff wer pleasant and efficient and Brian (or possibly Basil) was a character in his own right, the cry of TOAST will stay with me for a long time. Recommend this for a nice weekend break.

Room Tip: The hotel looks over a park, so get a front facing room if you can.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonymac1960
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly and the hotel to be full of character. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
traceythomas64
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights recently with my husband. It was a deal he'd seen and booked, without me knowing, in our local paper. I think if I'd read the reviews first we wouldn't have booked, but as the deed was done we decided to make the most of it.

The hotel is, as others have said, very tired and dated and in need of a total refurbishment. I'm sure that 'back in the day' it would have been a very classy place. The lady on reception wasn't expecting us at all! We'd booked through a third party called TravelSure and she says they often have bookings from them that just turn up! Luckily there were vacant rooms! As we were checking in there were 2 coach parties of pensioners also arriving. Being in my late 40's I wondered what on earth we'd let ourselves in for. I think it is the kind of place suited to a certain generation. Listening to some of them talking at breakfast they were over joyed with the place and some had been before. I suppose when it only cost us £110 for 2 of us, for bed, breakfast and evening meal, we couldn't complain and for the older folk it's probably cheaper than staying at home!!

The evening meal was 4 courses and my main course on the first night was stodgy and awful. It was said to be some sort of bake, with minced lamb, carrots and leeks, only it had far too many breadcrumbs scattered over it, and right through it and rubberised melted cheese on the top. There was not even a hint of gravy or moisture in it at all!!! The next night's meal was so much better with a completely different menu. Breakfast was more than ample. Although busy with 2 coach parties the staff were very polite and attentative and we never had to wait long. The dining room was large and very pleasant with large windows looking out onto a pretty area with trees on, on the main street.

The room we had was ample with clean bedding and a small ensuite. The carpet was of the old thick 70's shag pile and had seen better days. So had the patterned wall paper. There was plenty of hot water and heating and more than enough tea and coffee provided. Our room was at the back of the hotel and just outside the window was a large silver heating/ boiler pipe that made a constant noise all night, so little sleep was had on the first night.

Downstairs was a bar and a separate TV lounge. On a floor below that was an entertainments room but we chose not to join in with all the older folks!!

All in all we had a good time and,as I said, we got what we paid for really. I think all the staff are doing a great job in a tired, old hotel and I wouldn't particularly say that I wouldn't go there again, as long as you know what you're getting for your money.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 if you don't want to hear a noisy boiler all night, although, apart from that we...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traceythomas64
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feddback regaridng your stay at the hotel. I am not sure why yout booking had not been communicasted with the hotel, but thankfully we were able to accommodate your booking. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occassion regarding the food and decor of the hotel. I am pleased you found the hotel offered good value for money and that your breakfast was hearty. I take on board your comments and hopefully look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#2 of 3 in Builth Wells
Llanerch Inn 16th Century Hotel
Llanerch Inn 16th Century Hotel
#14 of 32 in Llandrindod Wells

Been to Glen Usk Hotel? Share your experiences!