“Coach Holiday”
Review of Glen Usk Hotel

Glen Usk Hotel
Reviewed 23 September 2013

the Glen Usk Hotel is a lovely old hotel, certainly needs a bit of TLC, but could not fault anything about it. Staff were excellent and could not do enough for you. The room I was in (117) was big, clean and looked on to the park . The food was excellent, and the choice was exceptional. Keep up the good standard
Eddie & Cathie (Mature couple) from Rutherglen nr. Glasgow

Room Tip: not sure but I think the odd numbers especially level one are all front facing
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brunozara
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments.

Thank you once again for your custom and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

One thing about British hotels which I cannot tolerate is the anonymity of the manager. Nothing could be more different here. Helen Morgan is a star for me. Ever present either at reception or helping in the restaurant with her lovely smile and great sense of humour. All the other staff I met were equally friendly and helpful. Look beyond the peeling wall paper and scuffed paintwork and you will find a hotel with good food at dinner and breakfast and comfortable rooms. I wish Helen and her team every success in the future

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlooking Temple Gardens
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ancienttrveller

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

We know there are certain areas and rooms that need upgrading but as you state, our rooms are clean, and our staff are proud to work at the Glen Usk which is reflected in their manner whilst at work, which in turn helps guests to enjoy their stay.

Thank you again for your comments and we do hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Myself and a friend stayed at the Glen Usk on a National holidays five day trip. The hotel is well situated in Llandrindod Wells and is large and well staffed. The rooms are light and airy with tea and coffee making facilties, tv and wifi access. We had a twin room and it was large enough for two. (We were in room 216). The meals were excellent with a good choice at both breakfast and evening meal. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would definatley stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul D

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is nice to get complementary comments along with the constructive comments and it was pleasing to read you had enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed here for just one night on our way home. Very welcoming hotel with friendly and helpful staff. We didn't eat here in the evening but other people gave a good report, we had breakfast and that was fine. This hotel is was it is , quite large and very old, it must be a difficult job just keeping the pace with all the maintenance that needs doing. However for the price it was fine. I think it is used by a number of coach companies and certainly the other residents seem to be having a good time. Very centrally located looking over the park, there was a Victorian event going on while we there which added to the atmosphere.
Llandrindod Wells is like some other places that have seen better days , there where a lot of shops that had closed which gave a rather dispirited air, but of course this area has a lot to offer in other ways.
My only comment on the room which was a good size , was that it was a little tired decoratively speaking with some pealing wallpaper. These days even more modest hotels provide shampoo and shower gel, but hey it didn't ruin our stay.
If you are in the area stay there you will get a good welcome.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Helen and her team who will be pleased to read them.

We certainly agree that there are rooms and areas within the Glen Usk which need attention and as such have an ongoing maintenance programme, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

helen and her staff are a really friendly,helpful and committed group of workers who are trying to turn the fortunes of the glen usk around, they have a three year plan of refurbishment which they admit is needed for this lovely hotel.
the outside is adorned with the most beautiful hanging baskets which only add to the victorian facade and as the hotel overlooks a small park the surroundings are green and fragrant,
my bedroom was huge, a little old-fashioned, but CLEAN! with the softest whitest sheets on the bed and plenty of towels in the large bathroom (take your own shampoo they don't supply), i ate in the hotel for breakfast and dinner and had no complaints, it was nice to see the manageress,helen, mucking in clearing tables and ensuring all our needs were being met, wine was a reasonable £12.95 a bottle and the bar was well stacked,
if i was in the area again i would certainly visit the hotel, when it is fully refurbed it will be restored to its victorian spleandour with all the modern comforts travellers require ,
good luck to helen and her staff

Room Tip: i was at the back overlooking the car park but it was so quiet i didnt hear a thing, rooms to the fr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ingysingy
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

As you say and we agreer that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and we have a rolling maintenance plan for this. However we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I went to the Glen Usk on a National Holiday weekend, visiting Hereford and then staying overnight at the Glen Usk before coming back via Llangollen.

The Glen Usk is in the centre of Llandrindod Wells overlooking the park, which is an ideal location and it is also not too far from the railway station. I liked the Glen Usk, the bedrooms are a little tired and need updating, but they are clean. The courtesy tray is the best stocked I have ever come across in a hotel. I could not get either the radio or television to work, which I think is poor. On the evening of our overnight the lift wasn't working.

The dining room is a delight. The food was excellent both for the evening meal and breakfast. However besides the food what really does lift this hotel are the staff, they are friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. I would sooner stay in a hotel like the Glen Usk than one that is clinical and has staff that match the décor.

I would certainly visit the Glen Usk again and may be go independently using the train.

Unfortunately Llandrindod Wells seems to have been hit during the recession and there are a number of closed shops - I suspect that this has not been helped by the large Tesco and Aldi on the edge of the town. However the scenery is fantastic and I would highly recommend visiting this part of mid-Wales.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris W W
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Helen and her team as I know how much these will be appreciated.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and we have an ongoing maintenance programme for this, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

We did have some issues with television sets and I am pleased to say that we have now replaced all sets in all rooms, I am sorry that you did not get the benefit of this during your stay.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I paid so little for my 3-night room-only stay that I feel rather churlish submitting a negative report. But I'm afraid this hotel has slipped down past the 'faded grandeur' category to a level that I personally don't find acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank IanCLondon
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I really was very sorry to read your comments, we agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of what more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandrindod Wells
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Greylands Guest House
Greylands Guest House
#3 of 31 in Llandrindod Wells

Been to Glen Usk Hotel? Share your experiences!