“Faded Quality”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Llanwrtyd Wells
UK
“Faded Quality”
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Stayed at this hotel over a Saturday night in October 2010. It was my second visit as I had previously patronised this venue 2-years ago. In the intervening period of my 2 visits I could only note one difference. The price. It had increased significantly.

First the positive points:
The hotel is large and spacious and is situated in a true gem of a town in the beautiful mid-Wales countryside. The food in the hotel is home-made and very tasty. The staff are accomodating and very homely in ther manner and demeanour.

Sadly, now the negatives:
The room was on the grubby side and the furnishings looked decidedly jaded and old fashioned. The oversink-light in the bathroom was defective and the TV did not work (it would not show anything other than fuzz). The bed was without any meaningful support and I suffered a terrible night, which was similar to sleeping on a haystack.

In this age, when it is possible to obtain a room in a Travel Lodge for about £30 (allbeit without breakfast), I was saddened to see that the bill for our room was a very hefty £75.

There is a good feel about this location, and the locally brewed beer served in the bar is first class. However, the rooms are certainly more hostel than hotel and are grossly overpriced and more importantly, less than clean.

If you are looking for accomodation in Llanwertyd Wells I would suggest that you visit this hotel. Have a beer in the bar and even enjoy some of the good food. But for the love of Elvis do not take a room without at least asking to see the room and check the standard of the hygiene of the room on offer. There are many hotels and guest houses in the town which would offer a better, and cheaper option.

In summery ~ sadly I could not recommend this venue to other travellers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
18 Thank AshJones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

This hotel was ideal for the rambling group. Lots of good homely food, including afternoon tea and cakes on return from walks. Extra helpful staff. The hotel is quirky but comfortable and clean. Only problem was that the hot water ran out when 30+ walkers all wanted baths at the same time in spite of new boilers being fitted recently.

• Stayed October 2010
Lancashire
Reviewed 23 August 2010

What a great little find. Has its own brewery - the beers are very nice, the food is great - good hearty home cooked stuff.

A very friendly little hotel, I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Flinders, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2010

This place was great!!! The staff were so happy and friendly, the food was really good and reasonably priced. The room was a little dated but was clean and comfortable. We did have some trouble getting our heavy suitcases up the narrow staircase but its all part of the experience. We had a few pints in the bar with the locals and they were all very welcoming " even the bear wrestler".
The staff gave us some great tips on places to visit and things to do," bog snorkling was out of the question".
We made use of the laundromat outside which only cost us about 4 pounds for a weeks worth of washing which i thought was great value.
The only negative is, i was politely pushed from a seat by the fire by one of the locals dogs.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shaz72
Derby
Reviewed 24 January 2010

First things first. If your particular thing is the clean lines and sanitised conformity of your regular Ibis, Premier Inn etc then this may not be the place for you. Be maybe it is...if you'd just open your mind......

This place is fantastic. In your regular hotel, the bar and restaurant is usually a stale environment. At country Inns, the bar is usually good, but the accomodation normally leaves something to be desired. The Neuadd strikes a balance perfectly. Lounge and bar area with roaring log fires and a pleasant and well lit dinning area. You can just as easily hide in a nook or cranny somewhere as talk to the locals about the state of the nation or which was the best beer on tap - whatever takes your fancy. I went for the latter and got to sample 6 different varieties of beer brewed on the premises - I'd recommend one but I have no recollection.

I stayed in a double (upgraded from a single) - watch out some websites only offer dual occupancy double rates and it's cheaper if you're on your own so ring the hotel direct. The room was clean, comfortable and had a quirky non-conformist edginess, like the mad-as-hell shower curtain that did a better job of waking me up than the Berocca. Bed was really comfy and despite facing the street there was no noise in the night (it's a quiet town!) and I haven't slept that well since 1972.

To top it all Llanwrtyd Wells is an awesome place! Great views of the Cambrians and loads going on - I just missed the Saturnalia (although I think Bacchus was still in the bar) and I'm determined to return for the Bike Race Wobble - a volatile combination of drinking beer and mountain cycling......which is probably the only way to ride on two wheels....although I was assured that the drinking only took place after the cycling....

All in all...a fantastic place to stay if you're in this neck of the woods. And if you're not....go there and try it out.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JetSetMiner
Solihull
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Just returned from the Neuadd Arms Hotel ramblers take note if you want a comfortable hotel with 5 star food then look no further. Out host Lindsay even guided our walks. Having spent many years on rambling weekends this comes out as the best for food. The walks were excellent and on returning to the hotel we had lovely afternoon tea with delicious cakes. The rooms were not grand but very comfortable and very affordable.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank friendshipSolihull
York
Reviewed 17 August 2009

When we arrived after a 3 hour journey we were met with a very friendly and warm welcome, my partner and I checked in along with our little puppy and went off to the room. The room was pleasant and as we had expected, the bathroom had no shower however there was a private shower room next door (we stayed in room 17). There is a Tourist information office opposite the hotel, we brought a map and went off to view the area, on the night the three of us eat in the back bar, we found all three courses most enjoyable and the service was friendly and efficient.
Breakfast the next day continued in the same fashion, we were the last to come down for breakfast (shattered form our walking) the level of service just continued to impress me. I work for an international 4 and 5 star group of hotel and I found the Neyadd arms inspiring. Well done to the team that runs the hotel (including Charlie). We look forward to coming back for one of the meny events

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Llanwrtyd Wells
Hotel Commodore
Hotel Commodore
#3 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells

Been to Neuadd Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!