“Lovely break in a lovely setting - not much to do though!”
Review of Carlton Riverside

Carlton Riverside
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We bought a "gourmet break for two" from Buyagift for the princely sum of £104. We had a choice of 6 venues and chose the Carlton Riverside as it was around an hour's drive from where we live. The Buyagift break included one night's B and B and dinner for 2 (drinks excluded).

The B and B was easy to find and parking across the street was handy. The "village" it is situated in is tiny and consists mostly of B and B's and pubs. It is near the Royal Welsh Show though so would be handy if you wanted to visit that. The hotel itself is furnished and finished to a high standard and our room was very clean and pleasantly decorated in an Oriental style.

The owners, Alan and Mary, were incredibly friendly and courteous throughout our stay. Their website describes the hotel as "A restaurant with rooms" so we were particularly excited to try dinner that evening. We arranged a table for 8pm but were kept waiting in a lounge area until 8.40pm when our table was ready. Our starter was brought out promptly and the food was delicious. However the saving grace of this hotel and the reason I gave it 4 stars was because of the quality of the main dish. My partner ordered fillet and I ordered rump steak and both were cooked to perfection, with beautiful accompanying dishes of a "tomato fondant" and dauphinoise potatoes. Dessert was also pleasant; I had sticky toffee pudding.

I had a good night's sleep in our large and spacious room, however to accommodate ensuites in the rooms it appears the owners have installed space-saving saniflo toilets, which do make a horrific noise when flushed!

Breakfast the next morning was again cooked well and tasted very nice. We had a very pleasant overnight stay with a decent meal for around £50 per person for the evening. Had we paid any more then I may have awarded 3 stars as I feel the price we ended up paying was fair, but what we paid was well below what it usually would cost.

I would stay again if in the area but wouldn't make the trip simply for this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mseren93

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Mary and Alan are excellent hosts, nothing too much trouble, room good, food excellent, what more could you ask for. Three years since we last visited and just as good. The view from the restaurant besides the Irfon river is lovely. Good choice on the menu and also on the wine list, especially enjoyed the Goats cheese souffle as a starter plus the Sea Bass for the main course.
I am sure we will visit again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the bridge
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goldenwords
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We read great reviews of this place but cannot reconcile these with our experience, its almost as if we went to the wrong place, except sadly we didn't. Food was generic, slow to arrive and abysmal. The mushroom soup tasted as if from a tin, my steak was tough and poor and my partners munkfish was clearly off and the sauce tasted like a dishcloth and came with out of season ( and therefore not local) asparagus. Its perplexing and frankly should be avoided.

Jeremy from Brecon

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank JeremyBrecon
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights in July '12 while working in Central Wales. Llanwrtyd Wells is actually in the middle of nowhere.. however this hotel was a little gem in the middle of it.

I was in a single room - however this wasnt your average single room - the bedding, and style of the bedroom where very nice and the bathroom with lovely deep bath & power shower was amazing.

I was suplied with freebie shampoo & showeer gel every day as well as clean towels.

I met the manager/owner of the hotel on a couple of occasions (due to my long hours). He seemed like a nice fella, however i wasnt able to eat in the hotels restaurant as the costs of most meals was over my works expenses allow.

I did use the bar (in the basement) and was delighted to manage to grab two beers for under a fiver...

Room Tip: The Single room is 100% not your standard grotty single room, it was very very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank nightfireuk2001
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Rather old fashioned and has not moved with the times. Food good but not worth 3 AA Rosettes (more like 2 Rosettes). However probably highest quality in the area. Appears to have some guests who return year on year which must say something. Perhaps the absence of chef Mary Gilchrist who has been recovering from surgery did not help

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AnnualOxford
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We booked a meal for the 5 May,on the advice of our hosts at the B and B we were staying at. I also read good reviews on the internet.

Without going into too much detail the food was very poor, even when it was prepared for the second time round! When we expressed our concerns and disappointment there was little interest. We were offered a bottle of wine, but we had already drunk some wine and had no food to drink it with!

We asked to see the chef, who we assumed to be Mary Gilchrist (but would a previous Michelin staff chef serve such poor food?) We were told she would not come out. That was the last straw.
Six of us walked out without paying.

I expected a phone call to apologise for our poor experience, but the call did not come.

I wrote a letter to Mary Gilchrist on the 12 May registering our complaint and today is the 8 July and I have not even received an acknowledgement of my letter.

RR - London

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ruth R
Reviewed 27 June 2012 via mobile

Read the excellent reviews and found that the bedroom was nothing special and the location very disappointing. Wait for food after ordering was too long and quality only average

• Stayed: June 2012