“Sticky toffee pudding to die for!”
Review of Carlton Riverside

Carlton Riverside
Price range: US$41 - US$51
Cuisines: Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Fantastic food, and the sticky toffee pudding is quite outstanding. The service is also exceptional, the only thing that I thought let this place down is a lack of atmosphere in the dining room, perhaps some gentle background music wouldn't go amiss.
Having said that, it would not stop me eating here again.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and enjoyed a wonderful meal at carlton riverside . This should be a real destination restaurant for those visiting wales . We live fairly locally but hadn't discovered it until very recently. The food is fantastic : a limited range but cooked brilliantly and presented beautifully with ideal portion size ensuring we both had all three courses. Great idea to have reasonably priced half bottles to accompany the meal. The vegetables were particularly pleasant as was the squid ink linguine and sticky toffee pudding.

1  Thank 221david
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Wow! What a fantastic place! We had a fantastic stay and everything was lovely. Dinner with matched wines the highlight of our 'gourmet break'. Very very good value and food of fantastic standard. Lots of care taken over everything. Not a bad word to say about it!

Mary Ann also gave us a great tip on how to finish our weekend which we thoroughly enjoyed.

We're already looking for an opportunity to go back and recommending to anyone who will listen!

Thanks for a great time :)

1  Thank Tonia B
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Carlton Riverside on 27 June for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. Our stay was made by the hospitality of Mary-Ann and Alan and by the fantastic food. We went for the set menu and it was brilliant - the wine was matched with food perfectly. The courses complimented each other and potion size was just right. The breakfast was great too with good produce cooked perfectly.

Mary-Ann and Alan were so nice and they are clearly passionate a out what they do which made the stay feel special.

If you want to eat there when you are staying you really must book in advance and not leave it until you get there as the restaurant is so popular.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having seen Mary Ann Gilchrist on the 'Great British Menu' over the past two years and having a mid Wales break planned I booked into the Carlton Riverside Restaurant knowing that It would probably be memorable. From the moment that Mary Ann booked me in when I arrived on my Ducati, I knew I was in a friendly place. This is a proper 'restaurant with rooms' just what I personally prefer. Less formal than a hotel with a proper kitchen and wine cellar being the focus.
The menu is excellent with locally sourced quality ingredients being the B all and end all of this restaurants raison d'etre. The awards and accolades plastered meaningfully over the reception window are testament to the long reputation for good food.There is a lot more to this place though than just good food.
The rooms are wonderfully comfortable and en-suite, the friendly non intrusive hospitality which I received over three days was experienced and relaxed. If Mary Ann runs the kitchen her husband Alan runs the restaurant, with an utterly polite charm which is so often lacking nowadays in this busy life. His knowledge of wine and impressive cellar ensure you will have the right wine to complement your meal. All in all I will definitely be returning for more relaxing breaks at this delightful Restaurant. As a lifelong foodie and frequenter of Michelin Starred restaurants the value for money which is offered at the Carlton Riverside is Excellent.
Heartily recommended. If you like tasty food in the morning you will love the Breakfast!
A memorable break indeed.