“Sorry to disappoint the critics”

Llanelwedd Arms Hotel
Llanelwedd Arms Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Builth Wells B&B and Inns
Newport, United Kingdom
“Sorry to disappoint the critics”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned after a 2 night stay at the Llanewedd Arms Hotel, I must say the substandard of the meals served was amazing. The service throughout our stay was second to none and we WILL be booking again next year. WELL DONE! Please Note: This hotel is not suitable for wheelchair users, as there is no lift.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stopped here after a family day out in the local area walking. From the outside, the Llanelvwedd arms looked very inviting and advertised the Finest home cooked food, ideal it would seem, however......
The food may well have been home cooked, in 1978, then frozen, then microwaved with in an inch of it's life. This would seem to match the decor, which does not appear to have been changed for the past 30 years. Out of the five meals we ordered, none was of an acceptable standard and vastly overpriced.
What was most distressing, was having reported the inedibility of my meal to the (admittedly pleasant) waitress, was the behaviour of the manager/supervised. This lady marched over the to the table and started interrogating me in a most rude manner.

I would encourage any traveller to hasten past this establishment and not repeat our mistake in visiting the Llanelwedd Arms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Emma-k-2012

Travellers are raving about these Builth Wells hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

After a day spent out in beautiful snowdownia we stopped by here for a bite to eat. Initial reactions on walking in to the premises was to walk straight back out. However against better judgement we decided to stay due to our starving bellies.

The menu was basic to say the least, however to this point the waiting staff seemed pleasant. We made our orders and was ushered into a cold poorly decorated restaurant area. Our meals started to arrive with the steak and kidney pies arriving first. These resembled something that you may find in a field of cows. I.e. a largest sized microwaved cow pat. We then waited sometime for the vegetables to arrive and then finally the vegetarian option which was supposed to resemble a broccoli bake. The meals were bland and tasteless, obviously nuked in the microwave for ease.

We complained about the broccoli bake as this was just plainly inedible. This is where the fun began, this person who I assume was the manager decided to take it upon herself to argue that the food was fine and that she had been serving it to her customers for the last 2, sorry no 3... Errrr sorry I meant 4 years with no complaints. I suggested to this lovely lady that she make up her mind how many years she had been serving this meal and apart from it been inedible that her veggie customers may deserve a bit of a change to the menu every now and then.

I have never seen anyone go so red so quickly and at one stage feared I may have to get a fire extinguisher to cool her down. I suggested that we would pay for the meals we ate but in no way would we pay for the meal that was not eaten, another 20 minute debate ensued to which I must say she reluctantly backed down.

If this was the last place on earth to eat I would much rather go and eat a real steaming cow pat which would probably offer far more nutrition and a lot less hassle. I would recommend anyone half considering entering the doors of this place to seek a thorough psychological assessment to ensure they have the capacity to make the decision to enter what I can only describe as an utter disgrace to the catering industry. I have had to rate it as a 1 on here as it doesn't give me the option to go lower.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Neuadd Henllan
Neuadd Henllan
#9 of 16 in Builth Wells

Been to Llanelwedd Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!