“Pretty average”

Ranked #6 of 25 Restaurants in Builth Wells
Price range: US$5 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: family friendly village pub just outside of Builth wells - Powys. Welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Serving Great home cooked food and drink! Children's play area and outdoor seating - Great for relaxing in the sunshine!
mid wales
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

If you like average pub food then this is ok, used to be a very popular pub when the holliday park next door was full but mostly only locals now so menu never changes and food is expensive for what you get.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank littlewelshwonder

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Worth half the price !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We ate in this pub last year during the Royal Welsh Show and were not very impressed but the landlord of the B & B suggested that it was usually very good. So this year we thought we'd try it again. I had the chicken and home made chips and peas. At a pricey £11.50 you'd expect it to be good but it was barely ok - the chicken was dry and the chips were not home made but frozen with lots of tiny bits of fried scraps of potato - the ones you get at the bottom of a frozen bag of chips. To be honest I've had much better chicken and chips in a fish and chip shop at half this price. My husband had the scampi which was ok but again he'd had much better at half the price in our local pubs. My grandson had the gammon which was probably the best meal but at a ridiculous £14.99. Again we can get this locally at about £8.00.
So we were very disappointed and certainly won't be trying it again next year.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank ElaineG32
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Chicken and Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I am from Leicestershire, however my girlfriend lives in Cilmery and when we visited here, I was informed that the chicken and chips was immense. I ordered it. It was immense. It wasn't too greasy, it wasn't too dry, it was yumtastic. We went there again and I had a beef madras, and I normally refuse to have beef in a curry, but it was lovely. If I remember, it wasn't mega spicy, but it was full of flavour. The Guinness here is also good. All in all I am happy that I go out with my girlfriend, as she has taken me here.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank geebus316
Builth Wells, United Kingdom
“True Welsh Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

A proper Welsh pub serving home made chips and good steaks and givring you a proper plate full of food. There was a warm welcome by the landlady and the locals

• Visited January 2012
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Good Pub Grub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
I've eaten many many times at the Prince Llewelyn over the years and if you're after a big plateful of typical pub grub then this place fits the bill perfectly. Their chips are devine!
Added bonus is it's also family friendly with a little enclosed area for playing if you have young children.
There's no heirs and graces so if you have walked across a few fields to get there, no problem leaving your boots by the back door. I've even telephoned them en route to let them know I was coming for food and they kept the kitchen open for our group who were delayed by traffic.

• Visited September 2011