The Drawing Room
Cedars Guest House(Builth Wells)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$195
The Lake Country House & Spa(Llangammarch Wells)
US$164
Hotel Commodore(Llandrindod Wells)
US$93
Metropole Hotel(Llandrindod Wells)
US$178
US$169
Glen Usk Hotel(Llandrindod Wells)
US$134
US$88
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Ty Carreg(Llanwrtyd Wells)
US$101
US$141
Belle Vue Hotel(Llanwrtyd Wells)
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrestaurant with roomselan valleymuesliexcellent foodfood and winewild mushroomsslipper bathrooms are beautifully designedfreshly squeezed orange juicevery special placethree roomsaccompanying winesduck eggcosy feelbeautiful housethree coursesgreat attention to detail
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We had a fantastic weekend here visiting nearby friends. First of all this is sold as a restaurant with rooms. So lets talk about the restaraunt and food... My mouth waters even now when I think of the food there. The steak melted in my mouth and is the best I have ever had - anywhere!! The rest of the food was very special and unique too. No complaints there!!
The lady manager was friendly, interesting and professional.
I have spoken of the Drawing room to many people and always say how wonderful it was.
The room was fancy and tastefully done.
One small bad point was the soundproofing in the rooms was poor.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ralph P
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Myself and my fiancée wanted a weekend break just before Christmas so we could spend time together before having to go to our respective families. The Drawing Room seemed to fit the bill, and whilst a stretch on our budget to do two nights we thought it was probably worth it. And it definitely was. We had such a lovely time there, as others have said amazing venue, rooms and food; and genuinely lovely hosts. They made us feel extremely welcome and totally at liberty to take it easy. Couldn't recommend this place enough if you need a short break to recharge your batteries. If we hadn't found it sooner, this would have been ideal as a post-Wedding retreat.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Olly B
Reviewed 16 December 2012

My husband and I stayed here for dinner bed and breakfast for my birthday. We had an amazing time, beautifully decorated rooms and so welcoming when we arrived, real log fires in the living rooms. gorgeous French style bedroom with stunning bath tub in the en suite. we had a fantastic three course meal and enjoyed every last bite, the menu was really original and exceptional value for money. The service was personal and relaxed and we really can't fault anything. would recommend this to anyone who appreciates good food and beautiful hotels. We will visit again soon hopefully!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We stayed in the Drawing Room for one night, it completely surpassed our expectations. The hotel was small and wonderfully decorated. The menu was varied for such a small establishment with an extensive wine list. The food was out of this world, we can honestly say we have never had such good food.
It was a luxury just to stumble upstairs for a perfect night's sleep.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel, but did have dinner there...

It is hard to know how to characterise the drawing room. Is it fine dining or perhaps just great dining? Fine dining conjures images of a multitude of foams, reductions and silly amuse bouches. It isn't that. But it is certainly complex and sometimes quite intricate cooking and, above all, it is very very good.

We started with a truly inspired dish, smoked haddock rarebit, which managed to be simultaneously smokey, unctuous, smooth, tangy and cheesy. Our other starter was a sage and onion tartlet with bacon and a butternut squash velouté. I always think that sage, pig, and butternut are a great combination - but have never come across them in this way before. It certainly worked.

We both had the same main course of mouth meltingly tender steak with a little boule of horseradish cream (a perfect example of what I mean: were it not to complement the meat so perfectly, could descend into frippery). Then came the highlight of the meal to one side of the steak, a mini onion tarte tatin. I would happily have foregone the entire meal for a dozen of those little things. The only slit mis-step of the meal was a potato gratin tower, a touch dry and dull.

For pudding we had a decent sticky toffee pudding with roast(?) bananas and toffee sauce and a selection of welsh cheeses.

The wine list was unusual with wines from the ardeche, an area I know not at all, and eschewing big name Bordeaux and Burgundy in favour of niche producers. You couldn't describe the prices as keen but nor did you feel gouged.

Our meal for two, three courses and a bottle of wine, came to £120. For this quality, it was an absolute bargain.

My compliments to the owners - we felt very well looked after.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple