“Exquisite food”
Review of The Drawing Room

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Builth Wells
The Drawing Room
Ranked #6 of 15 Builth Wells B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“Exquisite food”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We did not stay at The Drawing Room, but went for a meal after recommendation.
The detail applied to the presentation, the detail given to the composition of each dish and the detail given to making the dining experience special, was the best my wife and I have experienced for a long time. We both ate the Crab and Prawn starter and my wife the Duck main, whilst I had the Welsh black beef fillet. To finish I had a Chocolate Mousse and Molly an Eton Mess. Each element of each dish was complimentary and necessary. Each tiny flower bursting with flavour and the main elements allowed to shine through. If you are near here, eat here!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I recently spent two nights here as we were visiting the area where many of her family used to live. We had read the excellent reviews of the Drawing Room and this helped encourage us to make the visit.

We had a lovely welcome from Melanie and then settled down for a drink before dinner, cooked expertly by her husband. The kitchen is open to the dining room which, like the rest of the building is very well appointed. Inevitably, with this open set up you do notice lovely cooking smells wafting around the place but this adds to the atmosphere. The food was consistently delicious and there is a very good wine list with plenty of choices of wines by the glass. The bedroom was great with a lovely bathroom. The only negative was that the sound insulation is not too good with the next door room so we had a slightly disturbed second night when the next door room was occupied.

We certainly hope to return to the area to carry out some more research into the family and give us an excuse for a return visit to the Drawing Room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed at the Drawing Room in May - for 2 nights. We were blown away by the service, decor and attention to detail. We were greated by a friendly face - who was happy to tell us of the local area and recommended some good spots nearby. The room we stayed in was spotless and felt really luxurious! White robes, roll top bath - every detail had been considered. The food was amazing - we ate in the dining room on both nights (the menu changes daily) - all locally sourced, fresh and interesting produce, cooked with real passion and skill... and a great wine list to boot.
We have been recommending this place to all our friends - it really is a gem!

3 Thank jkale_13
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

firstly I should say that this review is of a stay some time ago. I promised to review it, but completely forgot. Anyway, I just want to say a few things:

- The hotel is beautifully decorated. A lot of love and care and attention has gone into making it really welcoming and homely, but somehow stylish too.

- The food was outstanding. We ate in on both nights as my wife was heavily pregnant. We didn't regret that at all and would do so again.

- It's right in the middle of nowhere. We love that, but obviously not everyone will.

Did I mention the food?

Thanks for a great stay

Huw Owen (signed in under my business partner Tom)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We've just returned from another wonderful stay at the Drawing Room. I have previously reviewed this restaurant with rooms, and if you read that and the other Trip Advisor reviews, you'll soon get a good idea of the fabulous quality of food and superb service etc. I would like to particularly thank Melanie and Colin for their extraordinary efforts over our current stay....
Despite a major mains water leak in Builth Wells that saw no mains water for the entire day, they didn't cancel the evening service. Instead they managed to offer us and fellow guests a delicious meal of the usual incredibly high standard. I understand the amount of bottled Evian used in the process was remarkable!
The standard of cooking is always high. Clever and stylish techniques using top quality ingredients create subtle combinations of flavours that bring out the best from the food. This nuanced approach is fine dining at its best - attention to detail, delicious food and a complete lack of pretention. To do this in ideal circumstances is hard. To do this with no mains water is miraculous. There was no drop in quality despite the circumstances and I have a huge appretiation of the feat.
A wonderful stay - Thank you.

1 Thank Bourgeois_Hedonist
Trefriw, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here for one night during our 2nd wedding anniversary weekend. We were combining it with visiting the Spring Fair at Builth Wells which is how I came upon The Drawing Room. It isn't the usual sort of place we stay (am sure that stood out a mile!) - we are smallholders and usually choose to stay in a homely friendly farm B&B with home cooked food. We do love our food, and good locally sourced meat and produce are important to us.
The Drawing Room sounded a bit special on the website and my husband decided we would treat ourselves & this did not disappoint.
We had a nice welcome, Melanie greeted us and showed us our room and where the bell was for service and advised us to read the information in the room which we did.
We came down for dinner as soon as we were ready, not half an hour before, but as soon as we could (we only arrived an hour before our booked time) and it seemed to be fine. The lounge is lovely with comfortable sofas and a cosy atmosphere.
I loved the dining room, it had a romantic restaurant atmosphere, which is exactly what I'd hoped for - he rarely takes me out so I loved it. The food has to be tasted to be believed, all the reviews tell you how good it is but it's even better. We had the onion tartlet and the smoked haddock welsh rarebit starter both really delicious. The Welsh beef we both had for a main was also outstanding, all the flavours complementing one another perfectly. The wine list was extensive and all sounded very interesting, could have been there some time choosing so since I like rose we chose the only one of those - which we were very pleased with - enjoyed every drop of it throughout the meal.
We had been given a choice of rooms when we booked (although Oliver, the one that had caught my attention on the website was already booked) I chose Otis for the bath, because I never have time for a soak at home. It was a very small room - I hadn't seen that on the website anywhere (we found it via trip advisor and looked at the website but not every review) - but we didn't mind, although my husband who is 6ft 2in did find his feet hanging over the edge a bit, which they don't at home in our double bed. We slept really well though.
The following morning I got up intending to have a nice soak in the bath before breakfast while hubby stayed in bed. Wasn't able to though as there had been a massive burst in a water main and the water to the area was all off. Geraint, my husband met Colin when he went downstairs to see what was wrong. Luckily there was plenty of bottled water available and he was given two bottles for us to have a wash and brush our teeth. Breakfast wasn't affected but the rest if the day was going to be difficult with laundry and dishwashing etc am sure - and they were fully booked that night. Hope everything sorted itself out ok.
On the whole a very special and pleasant stay, and a very memorable meal. Not somewhere we will be rushing back to because of the cost - it was a special occasion treat only for us - but I will recommend it to others and not forget the food in a hurry. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you are able to choose please bear in mind that Otis is very small.