“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Drawing Room

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Builth Wells
The Drawing Room
Ranked #6 of 16 Builth Wells B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Wow! Beautiful house and marvelous food. Melanie was a wonderful host and was very helpful and knowledgeable when we enquired about going out for the day. Melanie and Colin have a wonderful eye for decoration. Our evening meals were delightful. We enjoyed sitting by the log fire whilst waiting for our dinner to be prepared.
Melanie suggested that we should drive through the Elan Valley ( to see the Dams) on our day trip to Aberystwyth, very worthwhile! Do try the steam train that runs between Devil's Bridge and Aberystwyth.

Room Tip: We stayed in the beautifully appointed Oliver room. I made the mistake of not asking about a shower...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jlo250

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed in The Drawing Room two nights. The first thing I must mention that you must realise that you have to eat in the restaurant every night, that is the condition of having a room, some sites may not make this clear when you are booking it, such as the one we used, however, the mistake was handled very professionally and nicely by Melanie.
What a wonderful concept and business model. It comes with some rules however, such the opening times but that is not an issue as you go to Wales to be out and about during the day. We really did not realise that we had to come down half an hour prior to the booked time until I read here, however, nothing was said nor was there any attitude towards us. If anything we found Melanie and Colin very friendly and charming indeed. One has to appreciate that this is not a B&B and understand the concept.
Our room was wonderful, the attention to detail, the quality of furnishings and fixtures and the fantastic shower made all the difference. Our neighbour was a very loud snorer and we could hear him from our room but even that did not spoil a very restful and comfortable night.
The main feature is of course the food in The Drawing Room. I could go on for pages and pages describing the food and praising it with hundreds of wonderful words but that will be boring, so I will use three words tasty, beautiful and stunning. Both breakfast and dinner were prepared using clearly the top quality local produce, executed to a very high standard and I could not praise it enough. Excellent choice of international wines. An outstanding dining experience. If I have to add a constructive criticism I would say that the 10% service charge is rather unnecessary or at least it can been included in the price of the dinner, that was the one and only similarity to a main stream hotel or restaurant, otherwise The Drawing Room is a unique and a special experience. One that we look forward to repeating soon...

Room Tip: Going by the standard I am sure all the rooms are very good but we stayed in Phoebe which was small...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ozcmg
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We did not stay at The Drawing Room, but went for a meal after recommendation.
The detail applied to the presentation, the detail given to the composition of each dish and the detail given to making the dining experience special, was the best my wife and I have experienced for a long time. We both ate the Crab and Prawn starter and my wife the Duck main, whilst I had the Welsh black beef fillet. To finish I had a Chocolate Mousse and Molly an Eton Mess. Each element of each dish was complimentary and necessary. Each tiny flower bursting with flavour and the main elements allowed to shine through. If you are near here, eat here!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I recently spent two nights here as we were visiting the area where many of her family used to live. We had read the excellent reviews of the Drawing Room and this helped encourage us to make the visit.

We had a lovely welcome from Melanie and then settled down for a drink before dinner, cooked expertly by her husband. The kitchen is open to the dining room which, like the rest of the building is very well appointed. Inevitably, with this open set up you do notice lovely cooking smells wafting around the place but this adds to the atmosphere. The food was consistently delicious and there is a very good wine list with plenty of choices of wines by the glass. The bedroom was great with a lovely bathroom. The only negative was that the sound insulation is not too good with the next door room so we had a slightly disturbed second night when the next door room was occupied.

We certainly hope to return to the area to carry out some more research into the family and give us an excuse for a return visit to the Drawing Room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim S
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed at the Drawing Room in May - for 2 nights. We were blown away by the service, decor and attention to detail. We were greated by a friendly face - who was happy to tell us of the local area and recommended some good spots nearby. The room we stayed in was spotless and felt really luxurious! White robes, roll top bath - every detail had been considered. The food was amazing - we ate in the dining room on both nights (the menu changes daily) - all locally sourced, fresh and interesting produce, cooked with real passion and skill... and a great wine list to boot.
We have been recommending this place to all our friends - it really is a gem!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jkale_13
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

firstly I should say that this review is of a stay some time ago. I promised to review it, but completely forgot. Anyway, I just want to say a few things:

- The hotel is beautifully decorated. A lot of love and care and attention has gone into making it really welcoming and homely, but somehow stylish too.

- The food was outstanding. We ate in on both nights as my wife was heavily pregnant. We didn't regret that at all and would do so again.

- It's right in the middle of nowhere. We love that, but obviously not everyone will.

Did I mention the food?

Thanks for a great stay

Huw Owen (signed in under my business partner Tom)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We've just returned from another wonderful stay at the Drawing Room. I have previously reviewed this restaurant with rooms, and if you read that and the other Trip Advisor reviews, you'll soon get a good idea of the fabulous quality of food and superb service etc. I would like to particularly thank Melanie and Colin for their extraordinary efforts over our current stay....
Despite a major mains water leak in Builth Wells that saw no mains water for the entire day, they didn't cancel the evening service. Instead they managed to offer us and fellow guests a delicious meal of the usual incredibly high standard. I understand the amount of bottled Evian used in the process was remarkable!
The standard of cooking is always high. Clever and stylish techniques using top quality ingredients create subtle combinations of flavours that bring out the best from the food. This nuanced approach is fine dining at its best - attention to detail, delicious food and a complete lack of pretention. To do this in ideal circumstances is hard. To do this with no mains water is miraculous. There was no drop in quality despite the circumstances and I have a huge appretiation of the feat.
A wonderful stay - Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Metropole Hotel
Metropole Hotel
#1 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,282 reviews

Been to The Drawing Room? Share your experiences!