“New Year Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Builth Wells
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“New Year Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We have just returned from a four night new year manor house party break which included staying in the Swansea suite and dancing the night away at an amazing new years eve party preceeded by an amazing dinner. The food was on constant tap and I overdosed twice on homemade scones and cream! Delicious!

The staff are still wonderful, helpful, very kind and good fun. Sean, Dafydd and Craig made us feel at home again, Dafydd even invented a cocktail and named it after me, it was delicious.

The hotel was full for most of our stay, but you would never guess it as the calm and tranquility we felt were fabulous.

Sean was extremly attentive and I think did not sleep for two days ensuring everything was perfect for everyone....as usual.

We ate in the restaurant every night and the food Spencer and his crew delivered just seems to get better and better. We eat at a lot of fine dining restaurants on our travels and find Spencers menu to be exciting and every dish perfectly executed from the smoked haddock and poached eggs for breakfast through to the roasted gnocchi with chestnuts and black truffle as a starter at dinner. Other delious food we ate there included scallops with black pudding wrapped in pancetta with a pea puree and roasted jerusalem artichoke soup. If I was to mention the delicious puddings too I would be here for hours!

We stayed at Caer Beris 5 times in 2012, I am planning our next visit in the early spring as it is home from home but with staff who feel like friends.

Highly recommended and great value for money....Still our Oasis. Thank you Caer Beris.

Room Tip: All of the bedroom are fabulous (we have tried 5/23), but the Swansea has a fourposter bed and a rol...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackyc1000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

i PICKED THIS HOTEL FOR CONVINIENCE OF AREA RATHER THAN ANYTHING ELSE TO MEET WITH SOME FRIENDS FROM sWANSEA.How pleased were we, what a little gem, relaxed but lovely, friendly but not overbearing.This hotel has got it just right, rooms lovely, not too hot as in most hotels.Very reasonable for drinks food and bed.But the food is some of the best i have eaten for some time, being in the trade i am constantly disappointed by food this was top class.
Also as a bonus for us we were able to take our dog alfie who loved it,the grounds are fabulous just a pity it did not stop raining.Cant wait to go again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jane w
Monmouthshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

We had Sunday lunch here last weekend (November 2012). Fantastic food, well cooked, but not overdone and good choice. We thought it was excellent value for money. My mother has a small appetite, and, as a pet friendly hotel, they were more than happy to wrap up the leftovers to go home for the dog! The service was very professional and friendly. Admittedly it wasn't busy when we were there and maybe if it had been, we might not have had quite as much attention, but we found all the staff great. And the two young dogs behind the Reception desk were a real bonus! Would definitely recommend this place for Sunday lunch. I wish we lived closer, then we'd go more often!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CJFluff
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

I got this one night stay on one of those voucher deals.

Firstly the positives:

Stunning location even in dreary winter. Its sits on the bank of a river that fishermen rave over and has lots of woodland walks (we didn't venture as the ground was sodden).
The grounds are lovely and I imagine even more so in Summer.

From the outside the hotel looks lovely and quaint and I was very impressed driving up to it.
However, it starts to let itself down on entering the front door.

I couldn't tell if the desk in the lobby was the reception this was confirmed when I saw all the clutter and computer screens behind the desk in full view of customers! No door to seperate the 'office' from the desk(reception), not very professional in my opinion.

Secondly, the hotel accepts animals (pets). My fault, as it does state this on their website and I hadn't seen it.
We walked in to be met by about 3 dogs on leads with owners attached.
My husband thought we had come to a dog show.

I have to say, other than the barking and the owners shouting at them to be quiet - they were no problem, but had I known, I would not have booked.
I am not a pet owner and as such would not book a hotel which caters for pets - will double check next time.
I hope that they have seperate rooms for pet owners.

Anyway, our room (no 11) was ok, bit tired looking but you can see they are trying to update the rooms.
Our bathroom had been updated (shame about the finish - very messy) lovely new suite - modern, but the wooden floor had not been fitted correctly and the edges were not finished off.
Just needed some attention to detail.

The bedroom was good size made smaller by the sitting room chairs and coffee table - definately not needed.
The beautiful fireplace was let down by nasty plastic flowers in the grate - some logs would have set it off nicely.
The lovely dresser needed some TLC.
The carpet was very worn and dirty.
Just little touches but could make such a difference.

Dinner - bit of a mix up with the menus, but sorted really quickly.
My white onion soup and venison lasagne were outstanding.

My husband had the three course set menue, all wonderful until the dessert - it was burned so we had to send it back.

Breakfast - usual menu but served at the table which was nice - cereal and criossants on the serving table as was juice.
My omellette was a little burned on the bottom but edible.

All in all - it was OK, but I would not have paid full price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Evos2
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review about your recent stay.

It is true that we are pet friendly. Many of our regular guests always bring their dogs. With a 27 acre back garden, they seem to love it.

With the Creme Brulee that you were served, we do prepare this in the traditional way with a caramelised sugar topping. If fresh, this topping is hard and crispy. We did offer you a different dessert in its place.

Peter Smith
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely weekend, our room was on the ground floor and was a good size and clean. The bathroom had a bath and separate shower, and was clean and towels fluffy. The hot water took a while to get to the room but when it came was plentiful!

Bed was comfy, also a tea, coffee making facilities in room and biscuits! Decoration was a bit old fashioned but did not bother us.

We had breakfast and evening meals at the hotel and both were very good.

The grounds of the hotel are stunning with a lovely river walk, through woods with lots of wild life to spot. There is an otter hide, we did not see the otters but hopefully next time! We walked all along the river into the town.

We took our dog with us and she was also made welcome.

Will return to this hotel as really enjoyed out stay.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lin50
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Great find especially if you have a dog. I stayed there with two dogs. Hotel was great for them. They had loads of space to run in the grounds and they can go into bar area. Just got home and the dogs are tired out from all the activity of the last two days. The humans were well cared for too. The bed was huge and comfy. The rooms were a decent size as I had a very large dog cage I bought along for the dogs to go in at night and when I went to the restaurant. The evening meal was really nice, if not a little pricey. Great value hotel though. Not too expensive. I disagree with a previous comment about the place been shabby. It's a grade 2 listed building. It's old. What do you expect from an old building. It's totally appropriate for its age. Clean and tidy

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen1988209942
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

The location, in its own grounds next to the river is great. Inside the attention to detail is not great and the feeling is this hotel needs someinvestment in the fad=bric of the hotel, rooms, fittings and decor. However the food was good and well preseented and the staff attentative. Not a bad choice, but not top of mu list for a return visit.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
#3 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Caer Beris Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!