“Perfect Getaway!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Builth Wells
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Perfect Getaway!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel for two nights it was really delightful.
The standard of food was excellent absolutely tasty could not recommend enough!
The room had a four poster bed, stunning views,very warm, clean and welcoming.
Perfect retreat for relaxing!
Would highly recommend.
The staff went out of their way to ensure you enjoyed your stay I would certainly go back again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chrissyl189
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Many thanks for your review and are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to the staff who will be very happy that their efforts are appreciated. We very much hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel.

Peter Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Elford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Having never left a review before I thought I'd check a few other entries before offering my opinion. Believe me, the majority are right! The location, helpfulness of staff, quality of accommodation and, above all, the standard of food were all excellent. Our room was spacious, with a very comfy bed, and cleaned to a high standard. The grounds were a delight to explore. Breakfast was plentiful with a good choice. Our stay included the 7-course taster menu which exceeded all expectations - it was genuinely superb! Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul J
Hi
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review for the very first time. We are very lucky to have such beautiful grounds which we enjoy sharing with our guests. The restaurant has just been awarded an AA rosette for the quality of the food which is something the chef has been working towards for the last year.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you bac in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We are here again, feeling like we are with friends! One of which is a chef that gets better and better! Just dined in the restaurant on red mullet soup, sea bass with 'divine' gnocchi and red onion followed by white chocolate parfait with raspberry macaroons. You have to stay here, it is like a magnet that draws you back for the tranquil location, amazing staff ( and owners) and food that is quite simply superb! Thank you Caer Beris! X

• Stayed November 2013
Hi Jacky

Many thanks for the review, very welcome. So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again, always good to see you. As you say, Spencer and his team in the kitchen have really taken our food to a new level which shows in other peoples reviews as well.

Look forward to seeing you in the near future,

wales
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Definitely a quirky rustic creaky country manor retreat in a very peaceful and picturesque area, the once-sumptuous abode of some obscure Welsh King, where the smell of the wood burner pervades all areas as it mixes with the smell emanating from small areas of wet paint in the corridor as the housekeeper touches up the walls as she goes around !
The decor is tired...very tired and of poor standard. Bedside table runners, lampshades etc were grubby as were the carpets. The large bed was not as comfortable as it looked. I defy anyone to secure a copious supply of hot water to bathe or shower. Towels were hard and unwelcoming.
This hotel is NOT really suited for the mobility impaired ! I did not benefit from the welcome and attention obviously reserved for the more deserving.
The wifi signal is a joke, which is frustrating as you have to position yourself strategically throughout the hotel to even get a 3G signal ! Don't expect to be able to communicate with the rest of the world.
Restaraunt table service is slow and un-attentive, waiting staff are apathetic, the food is of average quality though the chef's obvious imagination and skill with deserts and puddings deserves recognition. Breakfast is acceptable.
Not a very family friendly establishment - should be flagged 'Adults only' and is poor value for money, unless you book a heavily discounted Internet "deal".
Baskets of fresh fruit and plates of stale "house cakes" are dotted around reception for the casual 'grazer' and an ample tea/coffee/biscuit basket is available in-room.
Overall a disappointing experience.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review.

It is not for me to pass comment regarding whether we are 'over rated', these being comments made by other Tripadvisor members not ourselves. I can say that when we had our 'secret customer' inspection by the AA earlier this month, he found that we had very good standards of cleanliness and was extremely complimentary regarding the standard of Food and customer service. This resulted in the award of a rosette for the quality of the food.

As a mobile phone user myself I can concur with your comments regarding reception but feel that perhaps your comments should be addressed to your network provider. I have made numerous complaints to mine without too much help. Our complimentary wifi is available throughout the hotel. It can be slower than you might be used to but our local exchange is scheduled for an upgrade next year. The dedicated computer access we provide for our guests in the Garden Lounge is hard wired and can be faster than wireless and is free to use.
Regarding your comments about mobility impaired guests, we do have three ground floor bedrooms, one especially fitted for wheelchair users, so we feel we can cater for the needs of most guests.
From one of your other comments, I must assume that you were allocated a room on the first floor as this is currently a corridor area that is being re decorated. We are not 'touching up' the walls but repainting all of our corridor areas completely. There is no right time to do maintenance in a hotel as we are open 24/7 so at times there might be the smell of fresh paint, but we think this small thing is preferable to the alternative. Our housekeeping staff are not involved with this at all but as one of the painters is a lady, perhaps this is where your confusion has occurred. Regarding being family friendly, we would like to think that our policy of giving free accommodation to children sharing their parents room up to the age of 16 is very fair to parents. We also have separate kids menu as well. I agree we don't have a playground here, but the back garden of 27 acres is very much made for 'adventures'.

Best regards

Tredegar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here one night for a family get together. The receptionist was very good, taking time to show us around and to our room. She also served as barmaid! My sister had booked the three rooms we needed, but unfortunately didn't get a room with a four poster bed. My husband happened to mention to the receptionist that my brother in law was complaining, albeit tongue in cheek, about the room and she immediately checked and offered him a change of room to one with the four poster bed. My room was very comfortable.
The food was wonderful, the desserts are to die for. The restaurant staff were really helpful, my sister in law has to have gluten free food and they took the time to go through the menu with her.

As I said excellent customer service all round which helped to make it a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne P
Thank you so much for your review and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. We do take pride in our customer service which is very important to us so am very pleased that you were able to comment on it. We are very used to special diets at the hotel, as long as we know we can cater for anything. Some of the desserts are exceptional. The chocolate tasting plate should not be missed.

Kind regards

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We chose this hotel for a quite two night break using their Amazon deal - we paid a little extra for the four poster room which in my view was well worth it as it is a large bright and very well appointed room overlooking the conservatory, gardens and river from a large square bay window with nice thick curtains. The room was clean as are most other areas in the hotel - nothing shabby about this place.
The reception was welcoming and he took the time to walk us around the ground floor facilities and explain meal times etc and (wonder of wonders in 2013) offered to give us a hand with our luggage - though on this occasion we were travelling light and didn't need it. (the offer was repeated on check out which is a very nice touch these days)

The seven course taster dinner on the first night was magnificent with nothing that I couldn't enjoy eating. The food was all cooked to perfection on the second night as well - the fact I didn't enjoy the second course as much was down to my own bad choice and nothing to do with quality. Breakfast was excellent and the food obviously cooked to order and not left sitting in water baths as it often is. If you have never tried eggs benedict then I thoroughly recommend it as an alternative to what is also an excellent full breakfast.

Even though it was November we were lucky enough to have weather kind enough to explore the beautiful grounds and the whole experience left me feeling as we had stayed in a real country manor rather than an hotel (OK there was no valet or footman but aside from that it felt like being a guest in a country retreat.

Two small criticisms, one I am sure they can do nothing about, which is the noise of the water pump whenever any water was run in the bathroom (or the one next door) I mention that only because I know some people are ultra sensitive to the slightest noise and it didnt detract from our stay in any way - For those who might be concerned I am sure that they probably have rooms where the water is not pumped, so you could ask. The other dissapointing thing was the small TV which was rather lost in this large room and difficult to focus on properly from the bed - full range of freeview channels though.

I have no hesitation in recommending the Caer Beris for almost any kind of "get away from it all" break. If you watch out for their Amazon local deals then it does offer excellent value as well. Although not of interest to me, their wedding package looks amazing giving 100% exclusive use of the hotel and grounds for two nights - so if anyone is arranging a wedding and short of a couple of extra guests..........!!

Room Tip: I can only say the four poster room over the conservatory is lovely - I didn't see any of the ot...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gbswales_UK
I am very pleased as well that you were able to leave such a positive review!
As you say, all our food is freshly prepared using, wherever possible local produce.
Customer service is very important to us so we welcome the opportunity to be able to show guests the layout of the rooms. Even though we are only a small hotel, it can be a little confusing.
We are installing a pressurised water system this winter which hopefully will cure the sounds of pumps. The joys of a historic house! We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Best regards

Wiltshire
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I chose this hotel as it is the only one in the vicinity that accepts dogs. I also thought I would treat myself to a mini-break.

The venue is easy to find and the exterior looks warm and inviting. This impression was confirmed by the warm welcome I received on check in. After taking my bags to my room I took my dog for a run in the lovely grounds planted with some interesting trees and then decided to partake in a cream tea next to a roaring fire.

Unlike many, this consisted of delicious, warm home made scones, with bounteous cream, strawberry jam presented in small kilner jars, and, unusually, a pot of tea which yielded more than one paltry cup!

Dinner consisted of a three course table d'hote menu from which I chose a starter of Seared Scallops and Black Pudding wrapped in Pancetta on Pea purée, topped with Crispy Onions followed by Grilled Sea Bass on a Fricassée of crisp Ricotta Gnocchi, Sweet Red Onion,
Sun Blanched Tomatoes and Wilted Roquette finished with Crème Fraîche with a dessert of Pear and Honey Tart with Nutmeg Ice Cream and a Hot Toddie Syrup

The starter could have benefited from less time in the pan and perhaps a lighter touch with the black pudding and forgoing the onions. The Sea Bass was absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection. The pastry on the tart was a little short but the honeycomb was superb.

My room was warm and comfortable and the shower, once I had found the instructions regarding the need to run the hot water tap on the bath first, had a good pressure and great temperature. The bathroom itself was let down only by the rust on the chrome toiletry shelf. The TV in the room could have been larger and the number of channels are limited.

Breakfast was excellent with a good quality orange juice, fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurt and a wide range of cooked options including my favourite, Eggs Benedict!

In the evening I had a lighter supper in the Conservatory of Fennel Soup followed by Wild Boar Sausages and Mash.

On my final day I relaxed on the comfy sofa in front of another roaring fire reading the paper and demolishing yet another cream tea!

This is a real "old fashioned" hotel, with room to move, breathe, relax, rather than a building containing bedrooms. Full of character and attentive staff who are helpful without being intrusive.

It ticked all the boxes for me, inside and out. And I am sure I will find an excuse to return!

Room Tip: Check size of room, although mine had a double bed, it would have been a bit crowded with two occupa...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Many thanks for your review about your stay. We are very pet friendly as a hotel. If you are in the countryside as we are, there are great walks to get out on with your dog. You don't need an excuse to come back, just pick up the phone.

Kind regards

#3 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
Peterstone Court Hotel
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach

Been to Caer Beris Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!