“Lovely hotel. Shame Wales was Shut.”

Caer Beris Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Builth Wells
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked as a groupon deal, this hotel in Powys looks from the front like an olde worlde monorail house. From down by the river looking up it looks like a well kept "Bates Motel" all atmospheric and spooky. On entering the foyer the welcome is warm and friendly every couple is given a personal tour of the facilities and the room. We upgraded and had a beautiful 4 poster bed. On the first night we had the 7 course taster menu. Fabulous food. All the meals we had in the restaurant were excellent quality served by the most efficient and friendly staff.
On the downside and nothing to do with the hotel, we were disappointed when every place we wanted to visit was still closed for the winter until next month.

Room Tip: Take the upgrade it's £10 per person per night but worth it for the experience. All the rooms...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Hi

Very many thanks for your recent review and am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. As you say, a lot of the businesses are very seasonal. The smaller ones work 7 days a week usually from Easter and than enjoy a break during the winter. We ourselves closed for a few days in January, the first time ever in more than 27 years, but that was due to a new water system being installed.As a small hotel we can, as you mention, offer a much more personal service than some larger hotels.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Booked last minute through a deal on Travelzoo and there's no way you can fault the value for money, £99 per night for a 7 course taster menu dinner, bed and breakfast.

Admittedly I hadn't done any research on this hotel prior to booking but on reading the reviews I had a fair idea of what to expect. I think that the comments about the hotel looking tired and dated are fair but I went with this in mind so I will not rate the hotel badly on this. I do strongly believe that you could easily justify a higher room rate by offering a refurbished bedroom product.

Check in was easy and the 'tour' of the ground floor was a nice touch.

Dinner was overall good, but let down by a couple of things. If you're going to offer a fancy taster menu, then you need to have the service to accompany it. No water or wine was poured at any point during the meal, and there were a few other basic service elements missing. Bearing in mind dinner was included in the package, you would think that they would take every opportunity to sell extras, but I had to ask for the wine last after we had already had our first course delivered to the table. I would have been quite happy to order more drinks, especially towards the end of the meal, to accompany the dessert courses.
The menu was good however, the ginger did not compliment the duck terrine and there was far too much beets and fennel on the plate with the Salmon which lacked flavour. The risotto was also too wet. Please take these comments as feedback rather than criticism for a dinner which was pleasant.
After dinner, we relaxed in the lounge and enjoyed a drink. I could easily have stayed there all night and continued to drink but there was no-one there to serve us which was a shame, and a missed sales opportunity.

The room served its purpose well and the shower in the room was nice and powerful for an awakening, cleansing shower in the morning.

Breakfast was good, coffee hot and food was cooked to order which is always nice.

I would recommend this deal for the value for money and feel that this could easily be a great hotel and worthy of a higher rating with a bit of TLC and renewed focus on sales culture and service. If this were accomplished, the additional revenue could easily be used to conduct a scheme of refurbishment.

2  Thank WelshFoodie1980
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to leave the review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate all guests comments to help us improve our hotel. This winter our project has been to have increases capability and pressure for our water system. It is one of those jobs which is very costly and you spend all the time hiding all the new pipework. But, as you say, you should get a good shower in the morning. Last year we refurbished 11 of our 23 bedrooms. It's an on going task which is on a rolling programme. Unlike the Forth Bridge, we never get to finish the job.

Peter Smith

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed one night as a birthday treat. Pouring with rain when we arrived, but when we entered the reception area it was very welcoming and we had a nice welcome from the owner and his staff. Our room was pleasant and in fact we had to turn the heating down! Had the 7 course Tasting Menu which we thoroughly enjoyed, food nicely presented by extremely pleasant staff and obviously well thought out by the chef. Loved especially the duck terrine.

Breakfast was also excellent with good choices and nothing like a truck stop!!! It made a nice change not to suffer a luke warm buffet style fry up, my husband particularly his Eggs Royale.

We enjoyed a walk around the extensive grounds in sunshine, a cousin joined us for coffee and we stayed on for lunch which was also excellent.

Altogether a very pleasant stay, thank you.

Hi

Many thanks for your review about your recent stay and am very pleased that you enjoyed your birthday treat so much. Pity you had bad weather for your stay but our log fires help you to forget about it. The chefs take as much care about breakfasts as they do the rest of the meals which is why they have more interesting choices on the menu than most.

Hope to welcome you back again.

Best regards

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just wanted to let you know that we paid a visit to Caer Beris Manor Hotel recently, and the experience was FANTASTIC. The rooms and the views from them are wonderful and the food is absolutely fabulous. We noted great attention to detail and to achieving dishes with great taste and a great blend of flavours. Presentation was excellent, very carefully thought out and very tastefully done. We found ourselves wanting to have so many of the meals again. The service too was spot on. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and courteous. Nothing is too much trouble for them. For the whole of our stay we were made to feel most welcome and we shall definitely return. I recommend Caer Beris to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We pride ourselves on having a really professional staff who are dedicated to looking after our customers in as friendliest way possible. I will pass on your comments to them as it is always good to know they are appreciated.

Peter Smith

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just read Matt's review, we definitely went to the same place but I just don't recognise it from our own experience

Location is superb, the hotel has magnificent grounds and the walks are super, we particularly enjoyed the river walk over the 'Millennium footbridge' with the fast flowing river below.

We found the hotel charming in all aspects, its an old building so there are bound to be 'quirky' aspects, we like that sort of thing, the decoration is entirely adequate and bare in mind its a walkers hotel , We took the Wye Suite, the size of a small aircraft hanger, amazing room , superb views, luxurious, too warm so we turned down the radiator .

We too are 'foodies' , whatever that means! ;-). We found the 7 course taster menu , a very interesting and well compiled menu with one course blending very well with the next, incredibly well balanced, delicious in every course , with subtle tastes, lovely subtle nuance's, we had the same constituents as described but had a completely different experience, there's the rub for caterers and hoteliers, you can't please all the people all the time

Breakfast was super too, the Eggs Florentine was superbly executed with lovely runny eggs , well cooked spinach and a delicious Hollandaise sauce, my full Welsh was lovely and far from a greasy spoon. There are 2 eating area's the main restaurant where we ate is charming.

The wine list is descent with something for everyone at descent prices, we didn't have a house wine but the prices there were affordable.

The public area's are lovely and comfy, we found the staff welcoming and lovely without being OTT . We had no wi-fi in our room , which is a point that needs addressing , good wi-fi in bar, restaurant and public spaces

We had a lovely stay and will be coming back

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sweenoid

Hi

Many thanks for your review and am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. We do try to create a friendly relaxed atmosphere with good food and wine. We are constantly upgrading the wifi so hopefully all will be finished before too long. Hope to be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at the manor hotel for 2 nights on a secret escapes deal, it cost just shy of £200 for two nights stay, a 7 course tasting menu, a 3 course dinner menu and 2 breakfasts.

The hotel on approach is lovely, you drive up the private wooded drive and then opens out to a lovely tudor style manor house and it really is quite special from the outside. However, once you get inside the front door it’s a different story, the whole place is really dated, it’s in desperate need of a refurbishment, the carpets are stained, worn out and very rough at the edges, the walls look dirty not helped by the choice of yellow wallpaper. However, the staff on arrival were very pleasant and we got the guided tour to our room which as many others have said was a nice touch. The room itself was not impressive at all, again, very dated, dirty looking (it was well cleaned, just dirty looking) and stained carpets. The bathroom was cheap, the floor was made from B&Q value laminate that was peeling at the edges (because it’s not for a wet room), and the bath/shower could do with being replaced, just looks grubby and well past its use by date (at least for a hotel). Some people have complained about the dogs, we didn’t mind one bit as we love dogs but it can make the hotel a bit of a strange environment with dogs on leads almost everywhere you look.

The tasting menu, which we were most looking forward to (especially after reading so many great reviews on here and being “foodies”), was a huge disappointment, it started off so well when we were served with a lovely little roasted garlic risotto ball served with a tomato salsa in what’s best described a shot glass that was very good and we both really enjoyed. After that it was downhill fast, the second course was black pudding, finely chopped smoked bacon, scallop and a pea puree; the black pudding tasted very cheap and didn’t have much flavour, the scallop was far too overcooked and the pea puree was on par with Tesco’s mushee peas out of a tin. The third course was then a duck terrine, possibly the worst terrine I’ve ever had the displeasure of eating, in fact, to call it a terrine is a joke. It’s simply cold cooked duck meat stuffed into a square shape (not even small bits of meat) served with a plum sauce and a dired date (why the chef thought to put a date with plum sauce I don’t know, but it wasn’t pleasant). As soon as the fork went into the “terrine” it fell apart and I was left with chunks of cold duck meat on my plate to eat with some sweet plum sauce that wasn’t anything to write home about. The fourth course was a butternut squash risotto, possibly the worst risotto I’ve ever eaten in my life, it was totally tasteless and far too wet, it moreso resembled rice pudding than risotto! It also had some finely diced courgettes that added nothing because they’d obviously been boiled far too long before being added to the risotto and totally flavourless. Then came the fifth course of pan fried salmon, I’m sure our plates were stuck in the microwave or something because everything on the plate was steaming hot and didn’t look freshly cooked. But that was the least of my worries, the salmon was again way too overcooked, it was dry and didn’t look pan fried, it was far from melt in your mouth like pan fried salmon should be, major disappointment as I’m a huge fan of salmon. The accompanying “roasted beets” were not roasted, they were boiled, and the fennel magically turned into an onion!!!!! …So we had a plate with a “fillet” of overcooked salmon, a fried onion and some boiled beetroots!!!!! Without a doubt, it was the worst salmon dish I’ve ever come across in my life, nothing on our plate went together at all. After the salmon, we had a shot glass filled with cappuccino ice cream topped off with some cream which was surprisingly very pleasant to eat (although strange to have it straight after salmon). The final course was a triple chocolate desert which was very good, although far too rich, it needed something light on the plate, it consisted of a chocolate mousse, chocolate brownie and chocolate cheesecake, nothing to help it down or take the richness out of the dish.

After the disappointing tasting menu, we were a bit on edge for the three course meal, but we shouldn’t have been, it was far nicer, although maybe that was that I asked for a cheese burger because surely any chef can’t make a bad burger! My partner had steak and it was ok, she asked for rare, but it came out well done, although she was happy with the steak. The desert was very tasty, I had an apple tart which was very well presented, a bit big, but very tasty and have no complaints at all. For starters my partner had soup of the day which was very good and I had crab parcels which were also very tasty. So the three course menu was a much more pleasant affair I’m pleased to report. However, half of the menu consisted of offerings taken from the taster menu which I found quite strange (so we made sure to avoid those options!).

Breakfasts were not too great; think truck stop fried breakfast and you’ve hit the nail on the head, nothing stood out about it and it was sodden with fat and oil; far too greasy. The cereals and fruit were fine, the granola was a bit too chunky and crunchy, but it was tasty enough to eat.

For the room with breakfast, I’d be happy to pay £50, for 2 people for 1 night but not a penny more, the rooms are very dated, the bathroom especially, with value fittings, peeling cheap laminate flooring and poorly finished. Still fine, but definitely nowhere near luxury, I would rate the room alone a 2 star. For the tasting menu, I’d not pay for it, the food was terrible, in fact, had that been another restaurant, we’d have walked out after being served the risotto course. For the three course menu, I’d pay £20 a head, so what we paid for our stay would have been perfect had the tasting menu been enjoyable.

We had a lovely relaxing time at the hotel and did enjoy ourselves, but then we also enjoyed it because we don’t get to go away all the time so the times we do we make the most of it and would enjoy it anywhere. The hotel was let down by the tasting menu and its general décor and condition, I regret to say that we won’t be returning or recommending this hotel, it looked so good on the cover.

2  Thank MattC455
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Hi

Many thanks for your detailed review and am pleased that overall, you had a relaxing time and enjoyed yourselves..
With regards to some of your points, I can make the the following comments.
The choice of yellow for the reception area was made to keep the hotel in the same style of it's original heritage. All paintwork was restored ithis January using Farrow and Ball paints selected for their suitabilty for this. Our bedrooms are also being contantly updated. 11 of our 23 rooms were redecorated last year alone. We do allow dogs in parts of the hotel and we find that they are normally extremelly well behaved.

As is normal, our 7 course Tasting Menu features dishes taken from our main fine dining menu which has 17 choices. The Duck Terrine is served with poached rhubarb, prune compote and pickled ginger. At our recent AA hotel and restaurant 'secrert' visit, the inspector was full of praise for this dish. The salmon is pan roasted, the beets are roasted and the fennel is fennel. The chefs do not use microwaves. The reason that the food was hot was because it was freshly prepared.

With regards to breakfast, we prepare our own granola which is why it has more texture than shop bought versions. With the exception of the fried eggs and sauteed mushrooms, none of the other items on the full breakfast are fried. Also on our breakfast menu are Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine, Eggs Royale, Smoked Haddock with Poached Egg and a selection of omelettes. Not perhaps normal truck stop fayre.

We like to think that the offer price of £189 for two people including two nights accommodation, full breakfasts and two dinners does offer good value for money.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Where can I start a real treasure of a find for us......Myself and my Partner stayed here on a 2night groupon deal with our beloved little Yorkshire Terrier Bella.......We had a wonderful stay and were so sad to leave, we travel often and find it hard to find places of quality that will accept dogs who are after all part of our family. Here we found a extremely warm genuine welcome. Like other guests have commented you are greeted with a warm smile and shown around with a personal touch, to be honest all the way through the couple of days we felt as if we were staying in some ones home rather than a hotel due to the friendliness and ease the staff put you at. We were there during the storm and the trees came down on the drive, the electric went out and a large tree fell on the gas tank so for a few hours there was no heating and no hot water. All the staff pulled together and dealt with this extremely professionally. We arrived back from a drive round the valley and although there was no electric the staff found me a cup of tea from the kitchen from a hot water urn which I was extremely grateful and in need of on that day. The food is delightful we had the 7 course taster menu of which we were not sure what to expect but did not disappoint and rather a nice change. On the second evening we ate from the Bar menu in our room the food is so fresh and tasteful they have a fantastic chef there. The room itself was small but everything there we needed and lovely views over the river. The wi fi isn't brilliant connection but there are places around the hotel that you can get a good signal. We were allowed to take our dog into the one area to eat away from other guests in the dinning room which is excellent as I appreciate everyone is not dog friendly. Overall I would recommend this hotel to others and already have done to friends who struggle to find decent quality accommodation with there dogs. The grounds are fantastic we were able to get out and have a small walk on the day we left, but the weather was very restrictive, would have loved to explore further but this gives us an excuse to return :-).............A big thank you to all the staff that made our stay feel like a stay with friends (something you do not find in a lot of hotels)........

Room Tip: If you are here on business ask for a room with a good wi fi connection as some have a very low sign...
1  Thank gail t

Hi

Many thanks for your lovely review. Being dog owners ourselves, we do find it difficult sometimes to find suitable places to stay. With a big 27 acre garden like ours, it's a bit of a dogs paradise. I am sure you appreciate why we do not allow dogs into the main restaurant or the lower part of the conservatory restaurant. With the Tasting Menu, it does give people the opprtunity to try things that they would not normally order. Obviously, if things are on the menu which people dietary needs don.t allow, we can alway arrange a replacement. Hopefully the bad weathe is behind us now. Fortunately we haven't suffered as badly as some people in the rest of Britain.

Hope you might return soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Builth Wells
#2 of 3 in Builth Wells
Glen Usk Hotel
Glen Usk Hotel
#2 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells

Been to Caer Beris Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!