“A Country Delight” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Builth Wells
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A Country Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My friend and I stayed here on a LivingSocial deal. I can't praise it highly enough! (Maybe I shouldn't, because more people may come and then there will be no more deals!)
It looks amazing, in a stunning setting with beautiful grounds to wander.

The entrance is very welcoming, with a comfy sofa and chair and....a bowl of fresh fruit and some nibbles, which you can help yourself to if you wish.

The receptionist was charming, and gave me a tour of the downstairs to show me where I could find everything. There was a large lounge full of soft, comfy sofas and chairs (vases of fresh roses on the tables), a small bar ( stock includes beverages from the brilliant Penderyn distillery!), a bistro-type eating place, the hotel restaurant - very olde worlde. She pointed out to me where there were steps down to the grounds and a small bridge over the river, where there was an otters hide a little further upstream.

Then she showed me to our room. We had No.18, a twin room. Lovely size, spotlessly clean, overlooking the front courtyard of the hotel. THE most comfortable beds...had the best nights sleep in a long time. Tea, coffee etc (disappointed no sweeteners, though....luckily I brought my own). Excellent en-suite.
Free wi-fi throughout the hotel.

My friend and I had sandwiches on arrival, as we were going to have the seven course taster meal in the evening. They were delicious, came with a side salad and a few light, flaky crisps (where can I get those??)

Our taster meal was amazing. Every course was delicious. A very well thought-out menu. My friend, who is vegetarian, had one course substituted with a delightful tomato dish - so thoughtful. If I commented on each course I would be here for ages, so I won't.
The waiters were absolutely charming, and attentive in just the right way.

Breakfast was brilliant - huge choice. Help yourself to juices, cereals, freshly prepared fresh fruit selection. Then choose from the menu.
(The best poached eggs I have ever had in a hotel.)

All the staff take such good care of you. This hotel is clearly run with the welfare and enjoyment of its' guests being the number one priority.

I will be waiting with baited breath for the next offer appearance for Caer Beris Manor. Can't wait to return....and bring my husband next time. He will love it!
I hope they remember to send me their monthly newsletter!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MrsJPitman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We have stayed many times on a living social deal and have previously awarded the hotel a 5 star rating, we haven't this time. We had a fabulous time, however was a little disappointed on the second day. On previous offers we had the 3 course restaurant menu on the second day (7 course taster on the first), the 3 courses were supplemented by 2 complimentary tasters, so, we thought this offer was the same, instead, we were given a different 3 course menu brochure that was cheaper than the restaurant one, the restaurant menu had been altered to 5 courses (same as previous 3 course with 2 complimentary courses). We asked if we could pay extra and change to restaurant menu but, we couldn't. We were told we had to order it by 6pm, although, we could not find any mention of it, and, were not told when we booked in. The service this night was also very slow. It took longer to serve 3 courses than it took to serve the 7 courses the previous night. I also felt that the food was not up to the same standard as previous visits. I must say though, we had brilliant rooms, better than previous visits.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Janhulldavies
Bicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed for two nights which included the seven course taster menu on the first evening.

The place was very welcoming,well located, set in lovely grounds,easy to park the car.The room was very traditional obviously with the history and age of the building.Large American size(super king )bed.It was everything you would expect of a country house.

The restaurant was very good,the staff very attentative and even at breakfast if you decided to veer away from the Full Welsh,which is plentiful,there are plenty of excellent alternatives.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GASHEADROVERS
Wem, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed last weekend on a deal from travel zoo for £99 for two db&b with a 7 course tasting menu , we had a lovely time and the hotel is in a great setting with lots of grounds to explore ( and doggies to play on ) the food was nice although not outstanding we would have been a little disappointed if we had paid full price ( £59 each for meal alone ! ) but great value for us .
Staff were pleasant although young and not very knowledgeable but it was not a problem for us , room had a very comfortable bed although ours was a bit noisy being right on the front by the car park ( cars parked in front of window and early risers slamming the doors !) maybe worth a upgrade .
Usual hotel prices in the bar which was well stocked with a nice selection of Gins and Whiskeys
Would we return ? Yes and bring our doggie next time .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had stayed there several years ago and were impressed then. We now took a vouchers deal for one night, including the Taster Menu. We were pleased and surprised to see that the Hotel had been refurbished to an even higher standard with the same welcome. We booked a "feature room" which had the advantage of a peaceful river and garden view. The food is very good with a friendly staff and we will revisit in the future.

Room Tip: The feature rooms at a small cost are worth the extra.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John L
Caerwys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Caer Beris on a living social deal which included a 7 course taster meal.
The hotel itself is a grand building set in 27 acres of woodland with a stream running through .... Most picturesque !!
On arriving the staff where most welcoming ,and from that moment every member of staff were attentive and friendly.
Dinner was delicious obviously made with fresh quality ingredients.
Breakfast again was delicious with lots of choice.
Our only regret was that we were only there for 1night but I am sure we will return

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank katebarber1
Newport, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We visited the Caer Beris through a voucher deal that included a night's accommodation and a 7 course taster menu. We were impressed as soon as we drove up to the hotel as it is beautiful and looks very historic. The hotel is traditionally decorated with country charm and is totally in keeping with the history of the place. The grounds the hotel in are stunning, mature trees, a beautiful river, abundant wildlife it really is lovely. The staff were very welcoming, pleasent and helpful through out our stay. Our room was a feature room which included a four poster bed and was stunning and very comfortable. Afternoon tea was top notch. The taster menu was delicious and the chef accommodated my partner who does not eat fish with really tasty alternatives. The only thing I would change was that I only wanted a glass of wine rather than a bottle the wine is the standard mini bottles you can get rather than a glass from a better bottle of wine. Breakfast the next day was tasty and a good choice was on offer. We fell in love with the place so much we booked our wedding here for September. This was based on the feel of the place, the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff and the quality of the food. The chef took the time to come and discuss our menu choices with us and the manager and his team were so accommodating in showing us around the other rooms so we could get a feel for the place. I would highly recommend this hotel, a cosy, snug, quaity find that deserves to be rated higher than a 3 star.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach
Hotel Commodore
Hotel Commodore
#3 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells

Been to Caer Beris Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!